Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Long-Range M3 or Long-Range MY for local driving, no commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this isn't the right place to post this, I apologize in advance, I'm new here.
In 2 months, I'll be making the switch to an EV. I currently drive a large, top-heavy SUV which my lease is ending on. There's a Tesla sales center where I live, so I test drove both the M3 long-range and MY long-range.

I fell in love with both, and I cannot make a decision. I work from home and don't have a commute, so this will be used essentially as a grocery hauler and local trips.

If you own (or have driven) both, please persuade me in one direction or the other! :)

Pros for M3:
  • Recently refreshed
  • Cabin seems quieter
  • Driving dynamics felt less "cushy" than the MY... a bit more exciting to drive
  • I think the vehicle looks much nicer, especially in black
Pros for MY:
  • Quite a bit cheaper than the M3, both monthly payment on the vehicle itself and insurance
  • I prefer the slightly higher seating position on the road. Coming from an SUV, going to a sedan is a big transition
  • More practical in terms of space, if I ever need it

MDrew, for the record spouse and I own a 2022 M3 SR LFP model and a 2023 MY LR AWD version. Like them both.

For local driving I'd at least look at the M3 SR LFP model. Great practical fun to drive auto.

We use our MY for long road trips as well as local driving. Heading out to Cape Cod from south of Tucson for our bi-annual trek end of May.

You won't go wrong with either vehicle. Personal preference rules here.

Rich

If this isn't the right place to post this, I apologize in advance, I'm new here.
In 2 months, I'll be making the switch to an EV. I currently drive a large, top-heavy SUV which my lease is ending on. There's a Tesla sales center where I live, so I test drove both the M3 long-range and MY long-range.

I fell in love with both, and I cannot make a decision. I work from home and don't have a commute, so this will be used essentially as a grocery hauler and local trips.

If you own (or have driven) both, please persuade me in one direction or the other! :)

Pros for M3:
  • Recently refreshed
  • Cabin seems quieter
  • Driving dynamics felt less "cushy" than the MY... a bit more exciting to drive
Pros for MY:
  • Quite a bit cheaper than the M3, both monthly payment on the vehicle itself and insurance
  • I prefer the slightly higher seating position on the road. Coming from an SUV, going to a sedan is a big transition
I’d go for the MY and I drive a M3. I’d go for the Y because it’s a great car even for local trips but also for the times that you do want to do a road trip then it’ll come handy too.

Pros for M3:
  • Recently refreshed
  • Cabin seems quieter
Pros for MY:

If you like driving dynamics and qualify for the $7500 tax credit, then I'd get a Performance Model 3. Its cheaper than the long-range and will probably drive like its on rails.

You dont really need the long range version of either one of the vehicles if you are only driving locally, but with that said, I would recommend a model Y simply because you are coming out of an SUV style seating position. If you prefer that, you should stick with it, imo.

I have a MY LR AWD, used primarily for local driving, with occasional highway driving. I considered (& test drove) the M3 for the reasons you mentioned, somewhat more efficient, and supposed to be more "fun" to drive (though I didn't drive a 3 enough to have an opinion on that). I went for the MY initially because it is a hatchback ( I detest trunks) as a matter of convenience and utility. Now that I've spent a few months with the Y, if I did it all over again, I would still purchase the Y. I've grown to appreciate the somewhat higher driving position for a better view of the road. The hatch has often been useful for heavier items (it is a flat shelf, as opposed to having to lift up from a trunk) and of course for anything bulky. I am totally satisfied with handling and acceleration at highway speeds. I like the better headroom and overall roomier feel of the cabin, and if you have extra passengers, the rear seating is superior to the 3, at least from my brief comparison. For me the differences in performance and efficiency are trivial. I have no knowledge about cabin noise of the Y vs. the current 3, other than I am saatisfied with my Y (which is a December 2023 vehicle, I believe the same as the 2024 model year.)

I cannot think of any aspect of the Model 3 that would make it preferable to the Y for local driving, and the Y is just fine on the highway, at least in my experience.

I have a 2020 M3LR and if I had it to do over again I would have purchased the Model Y because it is highern off the ground and more roomy.
We are i. our 70s and the extran height makes it easier to get in and out of. Bought car during covid so test drive was solo and the Model Y was in chill mode and felt like driving an old Ford Econoiline. Model 3 was a rocket ship.

I’ve owned both, currently the Y. You own an SUV now - why did you buy it? Do you have a family, carry things, use the rear hatch? That might help you decide.

For me they are both somewhat compromised if you enjoy the feel and responsiveness of European cars with more refined suspensions, higher grade of interior materials, and improved fit/finish. I’d also suggest exploring leasing options instead of ownership. Most of us on the forum bought our 3/Y at substantially higher prices than the current cars, and given Tesla’s constantly changing pricing and configurations “buyer’s remorse” isn’t uncommon.

Given the changing tax credit situation, today you can buy a Y for less than a 3. You can also buy the 3 performance with a $7500 tax credit - the other versions of the 3 don’t qualify. That makes the performance nearly the same price as the base 3. The RWD Y may soon have similar range to the AWD version, something that may suit your needs very well. There are many small model differences to explore - battery configurations, charging speed, differences in equipment/stereo, etc. many are newly changed or may change.

I bought my Y last year - AWD, 4680 battery pack, GigaPress Austin build. They only made that version for less than 5months. It’s somewhat an “odd duck”. That doesn’t bother me, I wanted the newer battery and build, but it does impact resale, and the 4680 batteries charge slower than the 2170 in my older 3. That wasn’t supposed to be the case, but it is. Just be aware that things change often, including tax credits which be harder to qualify for in the coming years as battery packs must comply with more stringent guidelines.

Take your time deciding and regardless of your choice all will be well.

Last edited:
You should check out the threads I created exactly for this engaging both the M3 and MY owners to chime in. If this is your only car and you occasionally need the trunk height, then the Y will do. The 3 is decidedly more fun and faster, however it lacks the trunk space and higher seating position. That said, the refreshed M3 is quite nice and worth a real consideration.
You need to come to terms that the current Y may well look aged upon the arrival of the refreshed version. Timing ranges end of this year to end of next year.

Speaking of lease, there is an offer going on now though Costco auto. Polestar 2 dual motor. $299 per/month with $999 down. Lease term is 27 months. Annual mileage limit is 10K. I think this is a great deal for a car that retails around $50K. Especially for new EV users to experience the new tech before fully commit to it.

Not sure what tesla is offering.

Last edited:

Pros for M3:
  • Recently refreshed
  • Cabin seems quieter
Pros for MY:
  • More practical in terms of space, if I ever need