Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long term(ish) Model 3 owners, how reliable has the car been to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
July 2018 RWD. No major issues. I've had 4 minor things fixed under warranty.

1. Coolant was under filled at the factory, service topped it off to the correct level. No appointment needed.
2. Condensation in a tail light. The light was replaced by mobile service.
3. Plastic trim on the B pillar around the seat belt popped loose. Mobile service replaced the clips.
4. Rear window stress fractured. Mobile service replaced.

My AWD non-P is less than two years old (del Oct 2018) but because of business travel I have over 79k miles now so I blew past the warranty period in a year. The car has been so good from day one I never gave the warranty expiration a second thought. Have replaced tires (about to replace again), added washer fluid, replaced cabin air filter and had the HVAC flush early because of the “stinky AC smell” issue. Nothing other than that, the car has been a dream to own and I still love driving it. I typically charge to 90% and occasionally to 100% just to check battery capacity. Early April my 100% charge hit 292 miles which is 94% of the original 310 mile range. I have over 100 Supercharger sessions b/c of my frequent business travels. I’d say the battery is quite robust.

Upon reaching 100k miles I intend to visit the Charlotte service center (since Tesla is legally prohibited from establishing SCs in S Carolina, grrr) to have the brakes checked (I’m sure they are fine) and replace the brake fluid. I’ll also have them replace the 12V battery while I’m there, assuming I don’t have to replace it before then. My only regular maintenance has been tire rotation every 10k miles. Love this freakin car, best I’ve ever owned. My plan is to drive it to 200k miles and then replace it with a Model Y (used if I can find a decent deal on one).

Oh, I missed the tires. I drove the factory MXM down to slicks, they made it about 19K. Replaced with set of 18" PS4S and got 30K out of those, way better tire. Switched back to All Seasons [EDIT: Kumho ECSTA PA51] in anticipation of driving some West and North stuff this year, in the winter and early spring. A lot cheaper and as good or better than factory MXM but I'm switching back to PS4S when they wear out. They are All Seasons, after all, can't expect it to be as good as proper summer tires living in SE Texas.

Yeah, I ride the car hard and that's hard on tires. I have a separate dedicated set for the track & Autocross.
Early April my 100% charge hit 292 miles which is 94% of the original 310 mile range.
At 62K miles that's where I am, too, with my AWD. After a couple tension inducing early drops, it has held there for maybe 15K miles now. Easily on track to make my 1/4 million mile target for the battery pack. Now all I need is for Tesla to have their battery pack refurb package in place in about 3-4 years and I'm golden. :)
I'm still amazed every time I drive it that 1) such a car exists and 2) that I own one.
Agreed. Nearing 2 years, too, and yeah the magic isn't gone yet. It is pretty damn impressive how much joy, primal joy, I get from just driving around.

Last edited:
Seems like people expect something to go wrong because they grew up, like I did, driving gas cars. Toyotas were a little more reliable than the Dodge or Fords or Chebbys I owned, but the biggest paradigm shift was when electrics came on the market.

A gas car's motor is the most prone to problems, with hundreds of parts vibrating and rubbing and sloshing lubricant, with excessive temperatures. But these little fun things don't happen in an electric. The main thing that might happen in an electric is the battery might fail, but Tesla keeps improving this every day. The old lead acid batteries lasted about two to five years, and they would die. Tesla warranties theirs for eight, and they'll probably go far beyond that, and Tesla says they're working on a "million mile" battery right now.

In other words, there are precious few things to go wrong, and very little does go wrong. I have driven Model Ses and Threes and Xes, total of near 300,000 miles, and only went to the dealer (on the first car, VIN 000064) to replace a door latch. Never any other problems. Just try to remember, these are not gas cars. Mostly, nothing will happen, and the only thing you'll have to worry about is when your jaw locks up from smiling ear to ear.

In other words, there are precious few things to go wrong, and very little does go wrong. I have driven Model Ses and Threes and Xes, total of near 300,000 miles, and only went to the dealer (on the first car, VIN 000064) to replace a door latch. Never any other problems. Just try to remember, these are not gas cars. Mostly, nothing will happen, and the only thing you'll have to worry about is when your jaw locks up from smiling ear to ear.
And the above is untrue. See 2017 Model 3 Reliability and Car and Driver suffers Model 3 failure on 12/25, but car told them about it remotely.

Why is it that you keep repeating such stories?

June 2018 build LR RWD with 32k miles. No major issues. I have had a few things replaced to include:
- Glove box, initial design defect caused it to fall open on occasion. Replaced with updated part. (fall 2018)
- Front control arm replaced due to squeak. (Spring 2020)
- Replaced the steering column due to "thumping" when it retracted. (Spring 2020)
- Replaced the blinker and drive stalk module due to a plastic cover coming off. (Fall 2018)
- Did something to the rear brake spacer (?) to fix a noise. (fall 2018)
- Triangle seal behind the driver tweeter due to wind noise (fall 2018)
- Replaced the front hood latch (service bulletin)
- Replaced charging port pin covers (service bulletin) (Spring 2020)

Service has been great, and I'm very happy.

June 2018 build LR RWD with 32k miles. No major issues. I have had a few things replaced to include:
- Glove box, initial design defect caused it to fall open on occasion. Replaced with updated part. (fall 2018)
- Front control arm replaced due to squeak. (Spring 2020)
- Replaced the steering column due to "thumping" when it retracted. (Spring 2020)
- Replaced the blinker and drive stalk module due to a plastic cover coming off. (Fall 2018)
- Did something to the rear brake spacer (?) to fix a noise. (fall 2018)
- Triangle seal behind the driver tweeter due to wind noise (fall 2018)
- Replaced the front hood latch (service bulletin)
- Replaced charging port pin covers (service bulletin) (Spring 2020)

Service has been great, and I'm very happy.
I also have a June 2018 LR RWD w/ a couple of the same issues and many more. Not gonna lie, I have not spent a lot of time at the SC (every fix took 1 or 2 days) and always had a Model s loaner but it has been more frequent than I would like.

I have had lots of the same issues as you but by far the most frustrating have been the rattles and creaks. I may be more sensitive to them than most but it’s been very annoying for me. With 9k miles I’ve had:

- Glove box, initial design defect caused it to fall open on occasion. Replaced with updated part.
- Replaced the blinker and drive stalk module due to a plastic cover coming off
- adjusted the front hood latch for requiring tons of force to fully close
- Replaced charging port pin covers (service bulletin)
-taillight stopped working(?) or disconnected. Might’ve been replaced
- trunk panel Badly Misaligned and was adjusted
-both headlights replaced due to condensation Residue
-Side repeater replaced (chrome trim coming off)
-rear Door seals replaced because they were bowing out at corners
-passenger door check hinge replaced loud clicking sound when opening

Rattles And wind noise :(

-front door seals replaced (when trying to resolve wind noise- not fixed)
- Triangle seal behind the driver tweeter due to wind noise @VT_EE did this resolve the wind noise? I’m getting this replaced next week and hoping that’ll resolve it
-front dash creaking sound (4 attempts at fixing - resolved for now) Including felt under wood dash, front speaker grill felted, foam In between screen mount And dash and steering wheel housing replaced
-rear Passenger area buzz rattle- rear seat handles replaced and I have put foam in the rear deck cutout but still not fixed.
-b pillar seat belt buzz- felt taped but not fixed
-fair amount of Harshness and clunkiness from rear suspension when going over bumps but need to have that checked out(?)

these sound issues (wind and rattles) have been the most annoying to me but writing all of this out makes me realize how many little issues there has been. With that said, I have had no major issues whatsoever that have kept me from driving and most of these fixes are me trying to make sure these small things are resolved while I’m still under warranty. Once it’s quieter I will be happier (not talking about general road noise loudness)

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
March 2018 delivery with 27,000 miles, VIN 89xx. Had the glove box opening issue upon delivery. The charger port pin replacement was also done earlier this year on a mobile service. Just had the 2 year service done. Tech had a problem with the billing, so I was never charged. I even called to ask if they ever sorted it out and they stated they just good willed it.

Of my 3 mobile service appointments, two were good willed. No HW3 yet as I paid for FSD at purchase. Was hoping to have it installed during my 2 year service but part was not in stock due to virus. Get 302 miles at 100% charge. Drive pretty easy overall. Maybe 10 road trips (Vegas, SF, Kernville). Car is everything I hoped it would be. Updates make auto pilot better over time. Just trying to figure out how to get a Model Y before I retire. Will never look at any other vehicle than Tesla.

RT

P.S. They also rebated 30% of my monthly insurance bill the last 3 months.

1 year today.:eek::p

About a month ago driver's seat stopped forward/back. Would move a few mm intermittently. Was told a seat replacement and then told recalibration. Was touch less so not 100 % sure but don't think the seat was replaced.

So just once in service.

• Informative
During the last two decades, I have never had any problems with any of my cars.
They were all good and reliable. Japanese, Korean, European, and now Tesla. None of them needed service due to defect.

I agree with this in general. My ICE car ownership over the last two decades (Ford, Pontiac, Mazda, Dodge, Lexus, Volvo and others) has been quite good. No catastrophic failures, no engine/transmission rebuilds. Important to note however that on all of those cars I needed regular oil changes plus occasional transmission fluid changes, coolant system checks and repairs, spark plug replacements, emissions systems checks and repairs, and of course regular brake jobs. I spend a lot less time in the shop with my Tesla, and time is money.

• Love
Reactions: Reborn and house9
I just went over 2 years with my 3 RWD LR (April 2018 build), and 47,000 miles. I've had very few problems, and those were minor. Changed left side signature headlight, I think they changed both. And both frunk actuators had to be changed during the first winter. I had to get the AC system cleaned out a few months ago due to that musty smell.

The left rear suspension developed the on the gas/off the gas-regen creak sound around 20,000 miles but it was fixed and have only heard it a few times since, mechanic said they retorqued everything.

I want to take the car in and have them check over everything before the 50,000 mile mark, just to have things covered.

• Informative