TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Longer Build Times With New AP 2.0 Cars

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️, Nov 30, 2016.

1. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

Got the "production started today" email on November 17th. I finally emailed my DS today for an update because I hadn't heard anything since the 17th, and this is what he wrote back:

Hi Electroman,

"Since the launch of the updated autopilot hardware, we’ve seen some longer build times as cars through more extensive quality control measures. Based on our current production rate, I would expect to have your car here in Portland in the second or third week of December. I’ll be sure to let you know as soon as it leaves the factory."

Best,

Your DS

Is this a bad sign that they might be having issues with the new hardware?

2. Yinn

Yinn Member

No, it's a good sign.

Scenario 1: They are building them properly, but acknowledge it's a new manufacturing process. Giving it an extra level of QC just to be safe.
    Scenario 2: They aren't building them properly, QC is catching it and fixing it so you don't have to deal with it.

Either way, I consider it lessons learned and shows the company is getting better.

3. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

Mine was in production for 5 days. I don't know if it's a longer build time but seems pretty quick to me.

4. martinicus

martinicus Member

Mine has been in production for almost 3 weeks now. Very frustrating.

5. hollywood

hollywood Member

Same here. DS says I'm "half way" through production. My X takes 6 weeks to produce vs those pumped out in 4 days. Not sure what to make of that. Maybe our production line is broken.

6. Viking1

Viking1 Member

My car was in production 1 day. I ordered back in early October. Just completed production.

7. Archimedes

Archimedes Member

Finally someone with a reasonable explanation from a DS as to what's going with the long production times. As of tomorrow my MS will have been in production for three full weeks. I'm still waiting for my DS to respond to my emails requesting an update. Let's see if the messaging is consistent :).

• Disagree x 1
  8. Lees90D

Lees90D Member

Mine is also due the second or third week of December in Bellevue, WA but is still in production. Probably on same truck as yours.

9. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

I wonder if they are stalling the deliveries, waiting for the software to activate the 2.0 hardware, to be ready?

10. martinicus

martinicus Member

That's sort of what my DS said today. "They are integrating the existing Autopilot software on the new hardware." I find that hard to believe, as they need to be leaving the factory as soon as the hardware is complete. The software can be updated anytime, anywhere. My guess is they are running into a backlog of QA issues with the AP 2 hardware that is taking longer than expected to sort out.

11. justg0

justg0 Member

When did your order confirm? I also pickup in Bellevue. 60d. Confirmed nov 16. Still in production queue, but was told by my OA that it should complete production 1st week of December.

12. Lees90D

Lees90D Member

Confirmed/VIN assigned Oct 19. "VEHICLE TO BE DELIVERED ON OR ABOUT: 12/11/2016" on purchase agreement document.

I don't see you on the Google worksheet as confirmed on 11/16/2016. Model S Order & Delivery 2016

13. justg0

justg0 Member

Added now.

14. HumanGenome

HumanGenome Member

I would withhold conspiratorial thinking - the facts don't support that. I received my AP2 vehicle without any "Your vehicle has completed production" message. Others have received AP2 vehicles as well.

Production start 11/11 delivery 11/23. My DS didn't even know the vehicle was at the Service Center until 11/23. The updates from the My Tesla cannot be trusted with 100% confidence.

15. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

I agree. Also, I'd like to point out that even though there's a "timeline" showing the progress, you don't necessarily get the emails in that order.

On 11/24, I got the "entered production" email:
    2016-12-01_1419.png
    On 11/27, I got the "confirm delivery" email:
    2016-12-01_1419_001.png
    On 11/28, I got the "completed production" email:
    2016-12-01_1419_002.png

On 12/7, I'll take delivery. :D

16. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

My car has also been "in production" for 10 days now. DS says he anticipates it to be done very shortly. We will see. I was hoping for a mid-December delivery but now I don't see it happening until the end of December at the earliest.

17. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

That's my guess. I think a lot of people didn't read the fine print, and they got a lot of complaints from people picking up AP2.0 vehicles. Even reading the fine print, it's my understand that more than just AP features are missing and that was never disclosed in advance as needing a software update.

18. Pollux

Pollux Active Member

Inspired by this thread: added my order to the spreadsheet.

In my case: entered production 11/22, exited 11/25. P100DL.

Alan

19. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

I'm not on there either. I've never seen that worksheet before. I'm on there now. I wasn't totally sure how to fill it out since I postponed my delivery and then changed it to earliest date possible when AP2 was announced.

Good to see black paint isn't as common as I thought.

20. steveho

steveho Member

11/4/2016 ordered.
    11/11/2016 confirmed
    11/28/2016 entered production
    11/29/2016 finished production
    11/30/2016 in transit
    12/6/2016 estimated delivery

1 month total