Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for someone to offer a test ride.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xenius

Apr 24, 2015
Havertown, PA
Hey guys, looking for someone in the VT area to offer a test ride to someone who was posting on a facebook group. He's looking at a CPO Model S. He specifically wants to be able to test with his dog in it.

The catch is his dog likes to lay on the floor. My guess is there's plenty of room if the passenger seat isn't too far forward. Would anyone in the area be willing to offer a prospective owner a ride? Please post here and I can put you in contact. Thanks!

-Ryan

Reactions: ModelS1079
I'll ask him! He might also just sign up here. I'll get back to you.

I'm just outside of Burlington (about 30 south of the Canadian border). You're around 2 hours away, but I could definitely make that work.

It has been several years since I've driven a MS, and know that the 85, 90, or 100kw battery pack will work for me, but I'm just not certain that the MS will work for my dog as he's a bit odd, and will only ride on the floor. It has worked in my half ton pickup as well as in my Q7, but both seats needed to be pulled fairly far forward, and I'm not certain if it'll work in the MS, or if I'll need to get an X. I've tried getting him to ride on the seat, and even using a hammock he's unhappy, and he refuses to ride in the way back of my Q7. He's a certified therapy dog, and travels with me at least 3 days a week to work with school kids and homeless veterans, so making sure that he fits comfortably is quite important to me. Unfortunately the closest sales center to me is Boston, which is almost 4 1/2 hours away.

!

If you're not against removing the passenger seat, I know that another member here David Bennett (forget his forum name) has removed his passenger seat to have room for his dog. He may be able to throw in his experience as well. Someone care to tag him?

I'm just outside of Burlington (about 30 south of the Canadian border). You're around 2 hours away, but I could definitely make that work.
@ToddRLockwood lives near you, but he may not want a car full of dog hair. :)

Speaking of dogs, I just got back from the vet now. Lab ear infection strikes again.

I'm up your way periodically (beer run to The Alchemist; skiing at MRG). Alternately, we could meet at the Burlington or Berlin SC and demo supercharging as well. I have a friend in Strafford who owns an X (with lots of dog hair); if the S doesn't work, maybe he could help.

Mine is a 2014 CPO (from TX), delivered (to me) on 12/16. Here's some posts I made about the process, including delivery to my house in NH and how I handled snow tires (I bought Hakka R2's locally, took them to Dedham, and paid for 19" wheels and TPMS sensors. Car was delivered w/ snows on and 21" summer tires in the hatchback).

CPO Maintenance History
Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live
EV-CPO.com CPO Consolidator support thread
Thoughts on my winter tire selection?
How do NH deliveries work?

If you need to go in for service, Montreal might be easier than Dedham or Watertown. I've been using Watertown (vs Dedham) because they seem to be easier to get appointments. I've had a few warranty repairs:
  • 2/17, 31k miles - Replace 12V battery, re-align hood, replace loose plastic trim piece. Dedham said I'd have to bring it in or pay for pickup/delivery (this policy seems to have changed, see 1/18 below). Drove down and waited for it (~90 min); combined with another trip to Boston.
  • 10/17, 45k miles - Dropped off the car at Watertown and picked up a loaner on my way to/from Cape Cod for a long weekend w/ family. Annual service. Replace driver's door handle that would not present (I had temporarily tied a loop of string around it to pull it out). Replace burned out LED on driver's rear door handle. Re-align sunroof weather stripping (cosmetic only). Rear wheel alignment. Re-align passenger mirror that was catching on door open/close. Replace noisy drive unit. Clean brake calipers. All free/warranty except annual service.
  • 1/18, 50k miles - Fix Temporary loss of power brake assist Replace/recalibrate front radar for loss of autopilot. Car was picked up and redelivered on a flatbed by Bostonian Towing at no charge. Repaired at Watertown.
  • 2/18, 51k miles - Replace passenger floor HVAC activator that was making a constant ticking noise while fan was running. I drove to Watertown and waited, as I had dinner plans with friends in the area that night.
There are supposedly a few rangers in our area who can do repairs at home/work. I asked if a ranger could have done the most recent HVAC repair and save me a trip (or them a tow fee), but they said rangers are only used for simple repairs and have limited parts on the truck. For things that require diagnosis (like "my HVAC fan seems to make a constant clicking noise"), they want to bring it into the service center.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
If you're not against removing the passenger seat, I know that another member here David Bennett (forget his forum name) has removed his passenger seat to have room for his dog. He may be able to throw in his experience as well. Someone care to tag him?
@DavidB
Not sure he monitors the forum.
You can try to PM me if you want his contact info, but you might need to get above 10 or 20 posts before that option works.
He basically took his passenger seat out because he travels mostly with his 2 dogs. He even built a little enclosure for them though they did manage to put the window down one night and escape.

Thanks Bill--I probably wouldn't have seen this post without the tag.

Yes, I've removed my front seat and put it back in many times. Removing the seat is easy--4 bolts, and two plugs. Likewise, reinstalling the seat is just as easy.

Advantages: Creates lots of open space (My two dogs, both roughly 50 lbs, easily fit in the crate I've added). Allows me to pet my dogs while traveling without worrying about them jumping onto my lap. Much safer for the dogs, as well as for myself, if I have an accident.
Disadvantages: The car will not do software updates without the seat plugged in (Fortunately, I don't have to bolt the seat in--just plug it in). I can't have a human passenger sitting beside me if I have the crate installed.

• Informative
Reactions: David29

I wouldn't be against it, but I think that my girlfriend would be rather upset having to sit on the floor so that the dog could be comfortable.

• Funny
Reactions: PeterK
Thanks Bill--I probably wouldn't have seen this post without the tag.

Yes, I've removed my front seat and put it back in many times. Removing the seat is easy--4 bolts, and two plugs. Likewise, reinstalling the seat is just as easy.

Advantages: Creates lots of open space (My two dogs, both roughly 50 lbs, easily fit in the crate I've added). Allows me to pet my dogs while traveling without worrying about them jumping onto my lap. Much safer for the dogs, as well as for myself, if I have an accident.
Disadvantages: The car will not do software updates without the seat plugged in (Fortunately, I don't have to bolt the seat in--just plug it in). I can't have a human passenger sitting beside me if I have the crate installed.

Interesting, I had no idea that it was that simple!

@ToddRLockwood lives near you, but he may not want a car full of dog hair. :)

Speaking of dogs, I just got back from the vet now. Lab ear infection strikes again.

I'm up your way periodically (beer run to The Alchemist; skiing at MRG). Alternately, we could meet at the Burlington or Berlin SC and demo supercharging as well. I have a friend in Strafford who owns an X (with lots of dog hair); if the S doesn't work, maybe he could help.

If you need to go in for service, Montreal might be easier than Dedham or Watertown. I've been using Watertown (vs Dedham) because they seem to be easier to get appointments. I've had a few warranty repairs:
There are supposedly a few rangers in our area who can do repairs at home/work. I asked if a ranger could have done the most recent HVAC repair and save me a trip (or them a tow fee), but they said rangers are only used for simple repairs and have limited parts on the truck. For things that require diagnosis (like "my HVAC fan seems to make a constant clicking noise"), they want to bring it into the service center.

Very good to know about the rangers only doing limited things. From reading on various forums I was under the impression that they did more.

Yes, Montreal is probably a lot easier for me, however I'd need to find out if loaners are allowed to travel into the US, otherwise I'd need to find an excuse to take a couple day vacation up there

If you're up here any time soon, meeting up would be great. Another member in Lebanon, NH offered to meet up as well, but I'm not certain when I'm heading south. Thanks for the offer to show me supercharging, and to see if an X would work, but I've seen both, and know that they would (a good friend in Houston has a mx90d and has been up here with it). There have been a couple inventory MXs that have come up in the last few days with nice discounts, but I could save $40k by getting this CPO MS, which is big money.

I hope that the ear infection goes away quickly for your dog. My lab used to get them all of the time, gotta love Labs and their ears.

Love all the Tesla folks willing to help out. Thanks to you all!

I couldn't agree more! Thank you all very much!!!!!

If the back seats in the S are down, that leaves a very large flat area almost up to the front seats. That gap could easily be covered if needed, then the dog could be near the driver and still on a flat "floor".

The 6 seat X has a lovely flat floor through the middle seats to the back. My dogs live there the few times they are in the X.

If the back seats in the S are down, that leaves a very large flat area almost up to the front seats. That gap could easily be covered if needed, then the dog could be near the driver and still on a flat "floor".

The 6 seat X has a lovely flat floor through the middle seats to the back. My dogs live there the few times they are in the X.

Take it from him, his handle is "Woof"

Reactions: woof
That is the configuration I first started with. As you say, that leaves a very large flat area. The problem is that my dog's heads hit the ceiling.