Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for the right adapter for 240v 30amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BC215891-E544-4917-A443-177239F87B64.jpeg
Hi guys, I have this 240v outlet in my garage and looking for the right adapter. Does anyone know which one it is? A link or would much appreciated

Hi guys, I have this 240v outlet in my garage and looking for the right adapter. Does anyone know which one it is? A link or would much appreciated
That looks like a NEMA 6-30 receptacle (240V and 30A) What number value is printed on the circuit breaker in the service panel for this receptacle? If it is 30A then you have a 6-30 receptacle. Tesla does not sell a 6-30 power plug adapter for the Gen2 Mobile Connector. Try EVSEAdapters.com, their web pages shows the 6-30 power plug adapter for the Gen2 Mobile Connector. (Have the receptacle flipped 180 degrees so the ground lug is at the top or else be prepared to mount the Mobile Connector electronics chassis above the 6-30 receptacle. (Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a mounting bracket for the Mobile Connector electronics chassis. Other cable organizers and mounting brackets can be found on Amazon, eBay and Etsy.)

EVSE Adapters

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Acps110
That looks like a NEMA 6-30 receptacle (240V and 30A) What number value is printed on the circuit breaker in the service panel for this receptacle? If it is 30A then you have a 6-30 receptacle. Tesla does not sell a 6-30 power plug adapter. Try EVSEAdapters.com

EVSE Adapters
Thank you! I think it says 30.

Should I ask the electrician change me an outlet or keep searching an adapter?

D4D59BA1-F622-4DBC-8C26-E569CA29ABAB.jpeg

View attachment 820751Hi guys, I have this 240v outlet in my garage and looking for the right adapter. Does anyone know which one it is? A link or would much appreciated
Looks like a 6-30 but the important question is will you be using this all the time? If so, definitely install a proper hard wired EV charger. Using the adapter is fine if you charging infrequent but I wouldn’t truest it for daily charging at home.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Using the adapter is fine if you charging infrequent but I wouldn’t truest it for daily charging at home.
The EVSEAdapters.com part is, contrary to the name of the online store and the component, a 6-30 power plug adapter that is custom made for the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector. The 6-30 power plug adapter looks and functions like the other OE Tesla power plug adapters but with a 6-30 male plug. The EVSE Adapters part even has the built-in chip that communicates with the Mobile Connector to set the maximum charging amperage to 80% of the circuit rating.

Looks like a 6-30 but the important question is will you be using this all the time? If so, definitely install a proper hard wired EV charger. Using the adapter is fine if you charging infrequent but I wouldn’t truest it for daily charging at home.
My daily drive is not bad. Most of my mileage comes from weekend. I actually okay with 120v slow charge. But since I have this 240v in garage, I would like to utilities it.

I just bought the adapter per 2nd post…I wonder if 30 amp 240v will damage the battery or not….I am sure it should be faster than 120v.

Reactions: 240vPlug
The EVSEAdapters.com part is, contrary to the name of the online store and the component, a 6-30 power plug adapter that is custom made for the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector. The 6-30 power plug adapter looks and functions like the other OE Tesla power plug adapters but with a 6-30 male plug. The EVSE Adapters part even has the built-in chip that communicates with the Mobile Connector to set the maximum charging amperage to 80% of the circuit rating.
I bought NEMA 6-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2, my model y is 2022. I assume it should work?

I wonder if 30 amp 240v will damage the battery or not
Charging at 240V and 24 amps (the maximum when using a 30 amp circuit) will in no way stress or damage the Tesla Model Y's battery. The on-board charger in the Long Range Model Y is capable of operating at 48 amps (when used on a 60 amp circuit.) The 6-30 receptacle is rated for a maximum of 30 amps, the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector will never allow the Tesla vehicle to draw more than 24 amps with this plug and receptacle. The 6-30 power plug adapter will enable charging 4X faster than a standard 5-15 (120V/15 amp) receptacle. The 120V/15 amp circuit is limited to a maximum of 12 amps when charging an EV.)

Charging at 240V and 24 amps (the maximum when using a 30 amp circuit) will in no way stress or damage the Tesla Model Y's battery. The on-board charger in the Long Range Model Y is capable of operating at 48 amps (when used on a 60 amp circuit.) The 6-30 receptacle is rated for a maximum of 30 amps, the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector will never allow the Tesla vehicle to draw more than 24 amps with this plug and receptacle. The 6-30 power plug adapter will enable charging 4X faster than a standard 5-15 (120V/15 amp) receptacle. The 120V/15 amp circuit is limited to a maximum of 12 amps when charging an EV.)
Thank you for the education!