Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for VP level contact, Tesla Energy, issues with PTO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone filed complaints with the state contractors licensing board, or any other consumer advocacy groups? It seems as though many would have a case, it clearly states 1-6 weeks for utility permission on the website. A Tesla rep said they have 30 days to submit according to the contract we signed, but I could not find any timeline documentation in any of my contracts.

Has anyone filed complaints with the state contractors licensing board, or any other consumer advocacy groups? It seems as though many would have a case, it clearly states 1-6 weeks for utility permission on the website. A Tesla rep said they have 30 days to submit according to the contract we signed, but I could not find any timeline documentation in any of my contracts.

As others pointed out, the rule is the PoCo has 30 days to respond to each interconnection request. But subsequent questions and follow-ups re-set the 30 day clock. So with the ten thousand weird things that can happen on an interconnection form, the PoCo can slow roll the 30 day window like 5 times and drag things out months. My PTO was dragged out 4 months because they were nit picking on being named on the insurance; getting the inspection report the County; and who knows what other BS.

The CPUC doesn't expect PG&E to act out of bad faith because the CPUC views PG&E as an entity only capable of behaving as instructed with the best of intentions. But we know PG&E employs real humans with real biases. Some of PG&E's workers buy into the BS that PG&E has been spewing for years. PG&E has said numerous times that solar harms poor people and hurts the California economy by placing the public good of PG&E onto fewer rate payers. It's only logical that some PG&E workers also take matters into their own hands to push an anti-residential-solar agenda (PG&E wants to be the ones responsible for the solar investment/execution/billing; not some random solar contractor).

So if your case gets assigned to someone that hates Tesla (or any Solar company), they will do everything they can to be a pest within the rules the CPUC allow.

As others pointed out, the rule is the PoCo has 30 days to respond to each interconnection request. But subsequent questions and follow-ups re-set the 30 day clock. So with the ten thousand weird things that can happen on an interconnection form, the PoCo can slow roll the 30 day window like 5 times and drag things out months. My PTO was dragged out 4 months because they were nit picking on being named on the insurance; getting the inspection report the County; and who knows what other BS.

The CPUC doesn't expect PG&E to act out of bad faith because the CPUC views PG&E as an entity only capable of behaving as instructed with the best of intentions. But we know PG&E employs real humans with real biases. Some of PG&E's workers buy into the BS that PG&E has been spewing for years. PG&E has said numerous times that solar harms poor people and hurts the California economy by placing the public good of PG&E onto fewer rate payers. It's only logical that some PG&E workers also take matters into their own hands to push an anti-residential-solar agenda (PG&E wants to be the ones responsible for the solar investment/execution/billing; not some random solar contractor).

So if your case gets assigned to someone that hates Tesla (or any Solar company), they will do everything they can to be a pest within the rules the CPUC allow.
I meant, more towards Tesla. I see many people who have waited months before Tesla even submits the paperwork to PG&E. If there are problems with the submission, that is a little different scenario. Tesla told me to expect, at a minimum 90 days for them to even submit anything to PG&E, then expect another 45 days for PG&E. The rep was very clear to not expect PTO for at a minimum 135 days after inspection/paying. My complaint is primarily with the 90 days just to submit the initial paperwork. BTW, no one mentioned the 90 day backlog until after we paid, and was never given an option to pay once they were close to submitting for PTO.

I'm a month past inspection (5 weeks since install). Called Tesla today and was told to expect 90 days for filing for PTO with SCE. This is REALLY ridiculous as I paid my system off IN FULL the day after install with my Credit Card. For those that asked for money back or threatened to do a charge back, did you have suceess? Tesla should only get payment once THEIR part is done which includes PTO filing, understandable that SCE has their own timeline for processing.

I'm a month past inspection (5 weeks since install). Called Tesla today and was told to expect 90 days for filing for PTO with SCE. This is REALLY ridiculous as I paid my system off IN FULL the day after install with my Credit Card. For those that asked for money back or threatened to do a charge back, did you have suceess? Tesla should only get payment once THEIR part is done which includes PTO filing, understandable that SCE has their own timeline for processing.
I am in the same boat and was told they will not submit for PTO without payment. I also threatened charge back, and they sent me over to billing. After sitting on hold a while I gave up. For us, charging back or getting refund while we waited was not the best thing anyway since we received about $700 in bonus points on the credit cards we used. I just received my interconnection agreement to sign at just a little over a month after install. I was told this agreement was just so they could get the ball rolling, and not the submit for PTO. I have called many times to complain, and check progress, but at this point it is what it is. I was just happy to see at least something happening. The advisor I spoke with on Tues said they are hiring/training more people to try and get things moving faster. I was originally told 7-10 days to submit, then was told 90 days to submit, and another 45 days for PG&E...

I'm about 11 weeks after install, and 9 weeks past inspection approve and paid in full to Tesla. Nothing submitted to PGE yet ( I have checked with PGE repeatedly) for interconnection agreement. I prod the PM, and I get nothing but apologies and weekly Friday automated emails they are working on it.
Added more solar and many powerwalls to some existing solar back in March, for clarity.
I added PWs to existing solar and installer turned them on before PTO since I already had PTO for solar. I know not technically correct, but I doubt utility could figure it out

Had 7kw solar and 3 powerwalls installed 6 weeks ago, waiting on PTO from PSEG LI. The holdup is not PSEG but Tesla filing the paperwork with PSEG. Cannot make progress getting them to file this. This is a step in the process that should have been completed withing days of installation. Anyone have a a name/contact info for someone to reach out to at Tesla?

Peter

Best of luck - Im going on 5 months since I ordered my system, 2+ months since it's been installed and PSEG has given Tesla PTO as confirmed by me calling PSEG. I'm already paying on the loan and I cant get anyone from Tesla to pick up the phone or return an email. My advisor stopped responding to me a few months ago telling me he got a new position at tesla and I dont have another advisor. I email the generic email and they anser days later telling me to contact my advisor which I tell them in the mail that I dont have anymore, so they dont even read the emails. I turn my system on myself and it does nothing - I guess Tesla has to activate something.

I added PWs to existing solar and installer turned them on before PTO since I already had PTO for solar. I know not technically correct, but I doubt utility could figure it out

Yeah, that kind of works in the Jan/Feb months, but now 2x or 3x Powerwalls would fill up fast and people are losing out on quite a bit of kWh production as we approach the summer solstice.

I'm still amazed at how quickly h2ofun could get his PTO compared to most people in California. It's like you just gotta know somebody. The guy that I found to install my Tesla HPWC also does some solar... he said PG&E tends to be nicer to the smaller companies on rules and PTO enforcement.

Yeah, that kind of works in the Jan/Feb months, but now 2x or 3x Powerwalls would fill up fast and people are losing out on quite a bit of kWh production as we approach the summer solstice.

I'm still amazed at how quickly h2ofun could get his PTO compared to most people in California. It's like you just gotta know somebody. The guy that I found to install my Tesla HPWC also does some solar... he said PG&E tends to be nicer to the smaller companies on rules and PTO enforcement.
I just got lucky. But, the ICF form is taking forever. My installer if very large.

I had called 3 times last week and some random solar roof rep you get calling the 877 number knew who to contact in the interconnection department, and they got my document pushed through in a matter of hours.

So in my conclusion, the way you get it moved forward is call ALL THE TIME, and literally harass them until the right person gets it done. Pretty awful system, but if you've got the patience just do it. Sat around for 8 weeks and someone got it done in like 3 hours.

Reactions: brian.c
First I am hearing of this. Wild!
I am in SDGE territory.

What would happen if one would flip the switch prior to PTO? I have existing solar, and am working to add more panels + power walls. So I don’t think much changes with the grid tie ins….

I am in SDGE territory.

What would happen if one would flip the switch prior to PTO? I have existing solar, and am working to add more panels + power walls. So I don’t think much changes with the grid tie ins….
They could technically clip you to the PTO amount but I serious doubt they have the capability or time to do that. So in your case probably nothing.

I am in SDGE territory.

If you have PWs according to my electrician "nothing" happens because you can easily switch the disconnect to the grid to test the system. One poster here allegedly"tested" for four months.

However, your usage will go from whatever to zero, so it would be noticeable for the utility. I have not seen a post on here about a utility doing anything about it.

Its a different story with just solar. Again, my electrician said that the lines are completely set up to handle any back feeding. You would not get credit for it I would guess.

But these PTO wait times are pretty outrageous whether its due to Tesla, the utility, or both.

I am in SDGE territory.

/im not an expert

This happened to my neighbor. He added panels and whoever did the work didn't tell the utility and they noticed he was sending more power than he should. He lost his NEM privileges.

• Informative
Reactions: Vines
I finally at least got the document from Tesla to sign (interconnection agreement) last Friday. But they have not submitted to PGE yet, but been only 1 business day. I am now over 12 weeks past install and about 10 weeks past inspection approve and full payment to Tesla.

Reactions: airboyd
I finally at least got the document from Tesla to sign (interconnection agreement) last Friday. But they have not submitted to PGE yet, but been only 1 business day. I am now over 12 weeks past install and about 10 weeks past inspection approve and full payment to Tesla.
They submitted to PGE Tuesday and I got PTO today. Overall a 9 month process.. ordered october 2020…install late march 2021…. Inspection passed and paid in full early April, Agreement sent to PGE june 15, Pge gives PTO June 17

Reactions: holeydonut