Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like Tesla will have to open up Supercharging to everyone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla already calls their charger the "NACS" and seems to want mass adoption.
They already do it in Norway ?
Pretty hard to leave billions $ on the table and out of the US plan for charging infrastructure.

It takes away a massive advantage of Tesla vehicles but Tesla doesn't have any regard for customer loyalty.
They trade their assets as it benefits them.
They have more to gain than loose which is why I think they will open the floodgates.

Why didn’t Tesla open up NACS sooner?
Because they didn't have to. When it became obvious that they weren't going to get money unless they had a "standard" charger, Tesla created their own standard. The NACS has not been agreed to by the governing body, (SAE), so just self-creating a standard probably won't be good enough to get the money.

I take issue with the US government pouring so much money into a regressive design, that is poorly implemented. It really makes me question governments involvement in picking protocols and standards.
True, but Tesla would have to open the supercharger network either way, unless the government agreed that both NACS and CCS were acceptable.
By the way, the reason Tesla opened their network in Europe is because they were forced to by law. The US hasn't passed a law mandating that, they just won't give Tesla money if they don't.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
  • Tesla, for the first time, will open a portion of its U.S. Supercharger and Destination Charger network to non-Tesla EVs, making at least 7,500 chargers available for all EVs by the end of 2024. The open chargers will be distributed across the United States. They will include at least 3,500 new and existing 250 kW Superchargers along highway corridors to expand freedom of travel for all EVs, and Level 2 Destination Charging at locations like hotels and restaurants in urban and rural locations. All EV drivers will be able to access these stations using the Tesla app or website. Additionally, Tesla will more than double its full nationwide network of Superchargers, manufactured in Buffalo, New York.

The premise of this thread is false. Nobody is forcing Tesla to do anything. Tesla is agreeing to the terms of the government in order to tap into government subsidies (aka free money).

This was an entirely voluntary business decision that Tesla made because they believe it will benefit their business in the long run. If you’re afraid that this will affect your experience as a Tesla owner, blame Tesla leadership.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Dayreg
Pretty hard to leave billions $ on the table and out of the US plan for charging infrastructure.

It takes away a massive advantage of Tesla vehicles but Tesla doesn't have any regard for customer loyalty.
They trade their assets as it benefits them.
They have more to gain than loose which is why I think they will open the floodgates.

The premise of this thread is false. Nobody is forcing Tesla to do anything. Tesla is agreeing to the terms of the government in order to tap into government subsidies (aka free money).

This was an entirely voluntary business decision that Tesla made because they believe it will benefit their business in the long run. If you’re afraid that this will affect your experience as a Tesla owner, blame Tesla leadership.
yup
how is the premise false? I already said Tesla would do things to suit their own interest.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H

Tesla, for the first time, will open a portion of its U.S. Supercharger and Destination Charger network to non-Tesla EVs, making at least 7,500 chargers available for all EVs by the end of 2024.

Superchargers are the main advantage that tesla has over other brands. What have GM, Ford, Hyundai, MB, or VW done to help ev drivers go long range? Nothing. It's the tesla drivers that are giving up their space. Tesla should make charging free for tesla owners.

Reactions: Eto Demerzel
It's the tesla drivers that are giving up their space. Tesla should make charging free for tesla owners.
Should Tesla limit production of Tesla vehicles to match the pace with which they install Superchargers? Otherwise, even in a 100% Tesla usage of Superchargers, the Tesla "experience" will be lessened for those owners that owned Teslas when the ratio of vehicles to Superchargers was much lower.

Alternatively, if Tesla is able to not just keep pace with vehicle production, but actually exceed it, should they do so, even if the costs associated with it now need to be spread out among fewer cars than can suitably utilize the full capacity of the network...meaning that either they have to (a) charge more for Supercharging sessions; (b) charge more for Tesla vehicles; or (c) take a profit margin hit, putting the company on a less sustainable trajectory?

But I see that another recommendation is to make charging free for Tesla owners. In that case, who IS paying for the manufacture, installation, maintenance, and operating costs of the Superchargers? I think the answer is that the cost will be borne by car buyers in the form of increased vehicle prices. In which case, how is that fair for people that don't live down the street from a Supercharger, or prefer the convenience of charging at home?