Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing faith in Tesla this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many others here, I have been a Tesla faithful and a reservation holder for 2+ years (I “reserved” my X on March 2014 to be exact). $5000 deposit is not a lot of money but for those of us who did take the plunge, it’s because we believed in Tesla’s ability to make awesome cars and wanted the car sooner than others who “wait and see”. It’s common belief that if you wait in line first, you would get it sooner. Sure, Tesla doesn’t owe us any special treatment but one would expect we at least be treated with FAIRNESS and RESPECT.

This has not been the case as my P90D delivery is still in inspection with no delivery date set (my MyTesla expected delivery date continues to show 3/24-3/31). Even more puzzling is my friend’s 90D, which was ordered at least 18 months after mine, is ready to picked up this week. Both of us live in the same area so location is not a factor, both are Fremont pick up, not to mentioned that my config is a P90D which was promised to be delivered earlier than a 90D. His VIN is 27xx vs. mine which at 22xx. Both are same exterior color/non-premium package/7-seater so I cannot imagine anything else that make a difference in inspection or delivery!

What really irked me is that my ordering and (lack of) delivery experience can be summed up in 3 themes: 1) misleading marketing, 2) random production scheduling, and 3) clueless delivery agents.

To summarize my experience with Tesla:

• 5 months ago (December) when I got the invite to configure my X, it was clearly stated that P90D orders will be delivered earlier ("starting early 2016") than 90D orders ("starting mid 2016"). I don’t think I am way out of line in saying that many people were misled to “upgrade” to P90D thinking they would’ve picked up the car sooner than a 90D.
  • Anecdotally, it seems whoever runs Tesla production completely ignores the reservation sequence and build only configs with premium package first. Many newly ordered fully loaded 90Ds ended up getting VIN assigned and delivery sooner than earlier P90Ds without premium. Meanwhile, zero communication from Tesla on delivery timelines/expectations between December to March. Questions to DS were mostly answered with superficial answers “soon” or simply “don’t know"
  • On March 11 I got the mass email (“signed by” Jon McNeil, President of Global Sales) that my Model X is built and will be delivered to me this month. Felt bad for the east coast guys—there’s no way that my friend’s VIN is only 500 spots behind me. No doubt part of the Q1 numbers push as both of us are in California, but ok you would imagine this email would have some weight to it given the exec’s name and everything. My MyTesla expected delivery date then got updated to 3/24-3/31 so I set up my pick up appointment that week with all loan docs signed. Now I have to redo everything again.
  • Since then my delivery appointment has been rescheduled at least 2 times since it's still in inspection. I’ve asked my DS if my car was impacted by the recall, and she said no—either she was lying or she simply doesn’t know. If my car was built (per the email) last month, it doesn’t make sense that the car is still in inspection.
  • If you go to the Model X config now Tesla’s marketing promised delivery by May—what BS!
At this point, I am beyond disappointment of Tesla. Way to treat your early adopters/faithfuls.

PS: I also placed an order for a Model 3. With 30K supposedly pre-orders, I have ZERO expectation that I will get the car before 2021. It will be interesting to observe how many people Tesla will disappoint though.

I also have been disappointed about a variety of issues with the car in my 3 weeks of ownership: service has been spotty, poor nav, lack of room to put stuff in, new roll outs after delivery, lease double speak, phone clarity issues, etc. Ultimately though you need to put blinders on and look at this modern marvel of technology. Tesla is a new company and they don't have all their ducks in a row or all the appropriate personnel to handle a high expectation client base. BUT, In the end, the product they deliver is amazing.

Like many others here, I have been a Tesla faithful and a reservation holder for 2+ years (I “reserved” my X on March 2014 to be exact). $5000 deposit is not a lot of money but for those of us who did take the plunge, it’s because we believed in Tesla’s ability to make awesome cars and wanted the car sooner than others who “wait and see”. It’s common belief that if you wait in line first, you would get it sooner. Sure, Tesla doesn’t owe us any special treatment but one would expect we at least be treated with FAIRNESS and RESPECT.

This has not been the case as my P90D delivery is still in inspection with no delivery date set (my MyTesla expected delivery date continues to show 3/24-3/31). Even more puzzling is my friend’s 90D, which was ordered at least 18 months after mine, is ready to picked up this week. Both of us live in the same area so location is not a factor, both are Fremont pick up, not to mentioned that my config is a P90D which was promised to be delivered earlier than a 90D. His VIN is 27xx vs. mine which at 22xx. Both are same exterior color/non-premium package/7-seater so I cannot imagine anything else that make a difference in inspection or delivery!

What really irked me is that my ordering and (lack of) delivery experience can be summed up in 3 themes: 1) misleading marketing, 2) random production scheduling, and 3) clueless delivery agents.

• 5 months ago (December) when I got the invite to configure my X, it was clearly stated that P90D orders will be delivered earlier ("starting early 2016") than 90D orders ("starting mid 2016"). I don’t think I am way out of line in saying that many people were misled to “upgrade” to P90D thinking they would’ve picked up the car sooner than a 90D.
  • Anecdotally, it seems whoever runs Tesla production completely ignores the reservation sequence and build only configs with premium package first. Many newly ordered fully loaded 90Ds ended up getting VIN assigned and delivery sooner than earlier P90Ds without premium. Meanwhile, zero communication from Tesla on delivery timelines/expectations between December to March. Questions to DS were mostly answered with superficial answers “soon” or simply “don’t know"
  • On March 11 I got the mass email (“signed by” Jon McNeil, President of Global Sales) that my Model X is built and will be delivered to me this month. Felt bad for the east coast guys—there’s no way that my friend’s VIN is only 500 spots behind me. No doubt part of the Q1 numbers push as both of us are in California, but ok you would imagine this email would have some weight to it given the exec’s name and everything. My MyTesla expected delivery date then got updated to 3/24-3/31 so I set up my pick up appointment that week with all loan docs signed. Now I have to redo everything again.
  • Since then my delivery appointment has been rescheduled at least 2 times since it's still in inspection. I’ve asked my DS if my car was impacted by the recall, and she said no—either she was lying or she simply doesn’t know. If my car was built (per the email) last month, it doesn’t make sense that the car is still in inspection.
  • If you go to the Model X config now Tesla’s marketing promised delivery by May—what BS!
At this point, I am beyond disappointment of Tesla. Way to treat your early adopters/faithfuls.

PS: I also placed an order for a Model 3. With 30K supposedly pre-orders, I have ZERO expectation that I will get the car before 2021. It will be interesting to observe how many people Tesla will disappoint though.

I suspect either they are waiting for a part or inspection didn't pass to their satisfaction. No one can say you haven't been patient but soon you will have it and all will be good with the world.

• Disagree
Reactions: Maaz and Eclectic
Yours probably got built with the faulty seats and is now in the queue waiting for replacements. Your friends was not built and when it showed up in the production queue, it got good seats. Just my WAG of course.

Yes this sucks and yes Tesla should probably do a much better job of communicating and also prioritizing these fixes. This part has absolutely no excuses. You deserve better, along with the dozens of others in the same situation.

This is easy for me to say since I'm not eagerly awaiting one (I can totally understand the frustration) but I think that anyone ordering an early X or an early production of any new car shouldn't be too surprised by delays or things that need fixing. Manufacturing isn't rocket science but it is pretty hard to get all the people, the machines, the suppliers, and everything humming, it's like a huge train, takes a lot of energy and time to get up to speed. I would just be glad that TSLA is holding your X back in order to get it right, some companies might just ship it out and say caveat emptor.

I too have been waiting for quite a while. I am baffled by the inconsistencies in communication. The my tesla page doesn't match the e-mail I received nor what I have heard from my DS. What I have concluded is that they have two or more databases behind these systems which is quite surprising for such a technologically advanced company. Autopilot is hard. Landing a booster on a drone ship is hard. Managing a delivery database is pretty trivial in comparison. This may suffice for the model X believers (me included) but the mass market for the model 3 will not tolerate this service immaturity. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

To the OP, all your points are valid, and I hope you get a car without any issues.

I can offer one thing that has no bearing on the above, but I hope it helps a tiny bit.

About 3 days a ago in my neighborhood I came to a 4 way stop. Simultaneously, a white model X with black wheels, and fully tinted came to the stop sign opposite of me. He was slightly above grade and me below. I don't want to sound like a dork, but it was visually arresting to see. All the other times I've seen X's they were pretty much static in parking lots, or at the Buena Park roll out event. All I could do was give the slight nod from my white model S.

Cut to today, and we met again at the same intersection but I am in my ICE Land Cruiser, this time he had the right-a-way and I turned left behind him and started up a little neighborhood hill, and blink, he was gone up over the rise and gone before my Land Cruiser could even think to downshift to second to motivate itself up the grade.

With some luck, you'll be that guy soon.

I hope to stalk him, in a good way, and get to check it out soon. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: AnOutsider
Looks like Elon will take care of this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 10.27.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 10.27.17 PM.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 498
Great to ventilate your understandable frustration. Judging from various similar experiences I think Tesla needs to work on better internal communication. Better IT and training of the DS's. Tesla is still a learning organisation.

As a model 3 inline order, I've waited and watched model s and now model x arrive, yes you're seeing others get theirs before you "that must be difficult to see", you're still going to get it along time before I will, I will wait as long as it takes for model 3, I hope you love and enjoy the model x when you do get it and don't let the delay get you down. I think I would prefer a delay and know they are going to deliver a great car without problems, I know from reading alot that tesla have fantasic customer service, if finances improve sooner I'll be getting a model s, otherwise model 3 it is.

My experience has been very similar to yours - still waiting on a non-PUP 6-seat P90DL ordered at the end of December for Fremont delivery, VIN 24xx. 3/24-3/31 delivery window still showing. Same DS runaround with no real answers as to when to expect the vehicle.

To OP: I'm taking the optimist approach re: my delayed delivery.......new parts + Mfg. tweaks produce a vehicle that won't require multiple SC tweaks......which given my distance from the nearest SC is important.

So...all I'm asking of Tesla is.....since you're making us wait, please deliver the next tranche of vehicles with high quality (and if not ready don't cram mine into a rushed end of quarter shipment).

Reactions: sflecarfan
Early adopter here, reserved in 2012, oh and I'm on the east coast might I add. I hear your frustrations and its all valid. Tesla has not done a great job of communicating and the manufacture order has been pretty much like a lottery. I've tried to take heart in the fact that as one person said "they have no reason to keep the cars longer than necessary, except to guarantee they're handing over an excellent product" (or something like that). Let's hope that when waiters like you and I finally get our cars we are able to enjoy it and not having to return it for quality issues, like several others have on this forum. From your post though two things:
1) Sounds like your DS doesn't know what's going on with your car (no seriously I think they sometimes just say whatever they can to appease us)
2) Strongly sounds like your car was affected by the seat recall. Thats the only logical explanation I could figure as to why so long after production you haven't been given your car, and given that they are awaiting parts for that seatgate situation, well....

I do hope you get your car soon though.

its all BS......they need to do a lot more in the customer service department to keep people happy. You can only run a company for so long like this, eventually it catches up with you and the customers never come back. My car is in delivery limbo now too with no ETA.....pathetic.

Reactions: Drivin
Alas, all too common. I reserved 2/2012 (Reservation #95), ordered 11/2016, confirmed 12/2016, VIN 14x. Original Model S Signature owner, live near Fremont. Still not delivered (which is fine if the delays are because the car neeeded them) but had awful communications (which isn't).

Loaded: P90DL, Pearl White, 22" Black Wheels, Black Leather, Carbon Fiber, Seven Seat, High Amp Charger, Autopilot, Premium, High Fidelity Sound, Subzero

I'm a die-hard Tesla fanboy, super-excited about my car, and very patient. I'd wait months longer if I had to to get a great car. I just don't understand why Tesla can't/won't keep me updated, and can't/won't explain why there are so many Model X's on the road that were ordered later than mine and have VINs in the thousands when mine is barely over 100.

Doesn't seem like a great way to treat die-hards who have personally sold dozens of Model S. :(

I the same boat with VIN #26x... Model X was supposedly built in mid-March (despite VIN assigned in December 2015). DS e-mailed a week and a half ago saying the car was ready for delivery and they'd schedule a date soon. Radio silence since and no follow up.

Given recent news about the next round of re-works, I'm assuming the re-works that delayed the March delivery are now cascading into the re-works that will miss the April delivery.

I'm still happy driving my Model S which the DS was originally trying to coordinate the trade-in back in March. Super glad I didn't act on that given all the bad information about delivery, but the Model X fiasco is way worse than when I bought my Model S back in 2013.

While I'm still a happy Model S customer, the back and forth on the Model X essentially put me over the edge this week on not taking delivery. I'd rather eat the $5K than get one of these early multi-reworked cars.

A lot of people defend Tesla on "making it right" (and I agree the SC's go the extra mile from my Model S experience), I fear they'll be "making it right" on the early build Model X's for the next year. It's feeling a lot safer to wait until all the problem reports start to die down.

I imagine at some point Tesla will/should offer early vin holders who have not received their cars a fresh car with a later vin# and less, or no problems. They build a whole car faster on the line than they can fix the doors, windows, seats off the line.

Fixing stuff is heavy technician time and they don't have the robots/laser measuring capability once it leaves the factory. I can't imagine being able to easily run partial cars back through the line either.

I mean, what? Have a couple of techs rip off faulty doors at some stage and try to reinsert the vehicle back in the line? Then oops, need a windshield fix, there's a couple more guys, etc. I can only imagine that there is a line of early vin vehicles segmented into pods of similar things that they need before being delivered and a couple of guys with clipboards running around and allocating parts based on how loud a particular DS is and their associated customer downstream.

This is a management problem and needs to be a top down fix. I don't care about who Tesla is hiring for a future heads up display, as much as I care that they hire some solid nuts and bolts people to get the basics figured out.

Tesla could foster a lot of good will by announcing a delivery hiatus for the purpose of straightening things out. But it has to be from Musk, to his generals, and it has to be public. Hell, the stock would probably go up if they took ownership of the problem.

I imagine at some point Tesla will/should offer early vin holders who have not received their cars a fresh car with a later vin# and less, or no problems. They build a whole car faster on the line than they can fix the doors, windows, seats off the line.

Fixing stuff is heavy technician time and they don't have the robots/laser measuring capability once it leaves the factory. I can't imagine being able to easily run partial cars back through the line either.

That's what I think Tesla should do.

It would get better product to delayed customers more quickly, and the re-worked cars can always be used as demo units or loaners, which Tesla needs anyways.