Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of refinement between 2020 and 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3C089CC0-B9AD-4E4A-90D8-EAC7CBF9DE88.jpeg

I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP. Having come from a 2020 MYLR, I wanted to share my thoughts on the many refinements that I’m experiencing with the new car. Before my new delivery, I also had a 2022 MYP test drive vehicle (VIN: 2942xx) for a couple days where I noticed these refinements also.

I know there are reports of bad experiences with new deliveries so understand there can be outliers, but I’m hoping my experience is indicative of improvements in Tesla builds, as a whole.

Previous car:
2020 Long Range
VIN: 0523xx
20” Inductions
Sold at 11k miles

New car:
2022 Performance
VIN: 3273xx
Michelin AS4’s

Refinements that I‘m noticing:
  • Road noise is a lot quieter
    • I realize this could have something to do with my LR having older tires but the MYP is just a lot quieter when driving. Was driving last night at 60mph and thought I was going 40.
    • Maybe (hopefully) there is additional sound deadening in the newer builds.
  • Trunk opening is almost silent
    • My 2020 would have a loud “ka-chunk” sound, from the initial unlatching. It was loud enough to be concerned when I first got the LR but saw other reports of this and just got used to it. On my MYP, it really is almost silent when opening.
    • When the trunk is being latched closed, it’s super quiet also.
  • Opening windows is almost silent
    • Maybe I needed to clean my LR’s rubber seals or something but there would be a noise when initially opening the windows. I had no concerns with this noise previously, but I immediately noticed the quietness on the 2022’s.
  • Parking brake noise is a lot quieter
    • Both when engaging and releasing (going into Drive)
  • Door unlatching is quieter
I had no regrets or lasting concerns with my 2020 but, as you’re reading, my experience with the 2022’s is just that it’s a quieter, more refined, car overall. Hope this is the case for others. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious, when people say they've made money or profited off selling their 2020 models and getting into 2021 or 2022 because of the high demand and long wait times, are they contemplating sales tax also? Or just price of car + any rebates? I mean it would make sense to include sales tax since that's still money spent.

I have a 2020 LR MY and looking into the 2022 MYP. I bought my car out the door for $60K ($56K + sales tax). Even if I sell my car for say $62K (I don't think I can after looking at comps at CarMax, Carvana, etc.) and get a brand new MYP, that'll still cost me around $70K ($65K + sales tax). I still spent $8K more. I'm not using LR as a option because of the long wait list.

Am I missing something when I hear all these people saying they've made money on this tactic?
Seems kinda like how everyone you know who goes to Vegas says they came out ahead.

I'm curious, when people say they've made money or profited off selling their 2020 models and getting into 2021 or 2022 because of the high demand and long wait times, are they contemplating sales tax also? Or just price of car + any rebates? I mean it would make sense to include sales tax since that's still money spent.

I have a 2020 LR MY and looking into the 2022 MYP. I bought my car out the door for $60K ($56K + sales tax). Even if I sell my car for say $62K (I don't think I can after looking at comps at CarMax, Carvana, etc.) and get a brand new MYP, that'll still cost me around $70K ($65K + sales tax). I still spent $8K more. I'm not using LR as a option because of the long wait list.

Am I missing something when I hear all these people saying they've made money on this tactic?
Including sales tax.

I'll give you a real world example. I'm in CA as well.

I bought a 2020 MYLR white 5 seater/black interior back in 6/2020 for $59,000 OTD

I sold the same car last month for $58,000 cash. The car had 19K miles on it. I shopped around, and picked the easiest sale - sold to a car dealer who picked up the car ASAP. carvana, vroom, shift, etc.. were all offering $58,800-$59,000

I ordered a MYP blue/white interior for $67,440 and with Tax - OTD was $73,700.

I paid the difference for the upgrade which was about $16K. Well worth it for me IMO.

Reactions: tomagucci
I'll give you a real world example. I'm in CA as well.

I bought a 2020 MYLR white 5 seater/black interior back in 6/2020 for $59,000 OTD

I sold the same car last month for $58,000 cash. The car had 19K miles on it. I shopped around, and picked the easiest sale - sold to a car dealer who picked up the car ASAP. carvana, vroom, shift, etc.. were all offering $58,800-$59,000

I ordered a MYP blue/white interior for $67,440 and with Tax - OTD was $73,700.

I paid the difference for the upgrade which was about $16K. Well worth it for me IMO.
ok that makes a lot more sense. thx for the clarification.

Reactions: tomagucci

I don’t think you are missing anything. Sales tax should definitely be factored in. I just think that the sales tax situation is different in every state so don’t assume someone else’s experience will work out the same for you.

For example, in my state, if we trade a car in for a new car you can deduct the trade in value off the new car price and only pay the taxes on the difference between the new car price and trade in. It’s my understanding that California doesn’t work like this and would make a HUGE difference in the math.

I don’t think you are missing anything. Sales tax should definitely be factored in. I just think that the sales tax situation is different in every state so don’t assume someone else’s experience will work out the same for you.

For example, in my state, if we trade a car in for a new car you can deduct the trade in value off the new car price and only pay the taxes on the difference between the new car price and trade in. It’s my understanding that California doesn’t work like this and would make a HUGE difference in the math.
Another factor that is important is your use of the initial vehicle for the time you had it. I had my 2021 Model Y from Nov or 2020 to Nov of 2021 and had
16,124 miles on it, before selling it for $8K more than I paid for it. That "free" usage is obvious of some value.

I noticed one negative change between my 2020 MY and my 2022 MY. The doors are hard to shut on the new models. The driver and passenger windows do not automatically lower a little to allow easy closing. Don’t know why Tesla did this. It’s a puzzlement.
Are they just more solid-feeling? Or does it have to do with double-pane glass?

Will give you another example

Close friend of mine bought a 2021 MYLR MSM with induction 5 seater for $54k OTD (Texas taxes factored in) in Dec 2020. Has 25k miles and sold it to Vroom for $59k (without having to replace tires, overall good condition) last week of December 2021; ordered a MYP for $68k OTD with EDD in mid-Feb. Paid, including sales tax, $9k to "upgrade" his car to a faster Performance variant with 0 miles and, with it being a 2022, likely with the new AMD cpu/12v lithium ion battery.

Had he not bought the MYP, would have profited ~$5k from driving a car with 25k miles for a year. Of course this is a once-in-a-lifetime market.

Reactions: Fairchild and EvEv

I’m in NJ so we don’t pay sales tax on EVs! That’s why it was profitable. Yay for me 😁

And 2 more changes:
  • Folding the rear seats back into position is VERY easy on the 2022. My 10 yo can do it easily with one hand. On the 2020 they felt like they weighed 200 pounds each.
  • The second row outer seatbelts (and possibly the seat back cushions) have been redesigned so when unbuckled, they slide securely into the gap and don’t vibrate against the side trim.

And 2 more changes:
  • Folding the rear seats back into position is VERY easy on the 2022. My 10 yo can do it easily with one hand. On the 2020 they felt like they weighed 200 pounds each.
  • The second row outer seatbelts (and possibly the seat back cushions) have been redesigned so when unbuckled, they slide securely into the gap and don’t vibrate against the side trim.
That's interesting...Mine is a 2021 but 1 week before it was called a 2022. My rear seats are heavy and the seatbelt rattle. Can you upload pics of the possibly seatbelt change?

Can’t analyze since my other Tesla is a M3 but I just got a new 2022 MY 7-seater last weekend.
Other than a couple of issues that the mobile service team just fixed, it’s been solid.

I got the AMD Ryzen chip
Heated steering wheel
USB drive in glovebox
Floormats
License plate frame
Heater rear seats (had to buy as an option on my MY)

Saw the front USB -C slots in front but haven’t tried them to make sure they’re even there

This morning on my drive I was getting irritated. It was cold out and my dash kept telling me that the front camera was blocked and thusly wouldn’t let me activate autopilot or cruise. With my older radar based M3, it wouldn’t matter. When I pulled into work, my front camera area had condensation on it so not sure if the defroster works up front.

I also am annoyed that I can’t go past 80 mph with autopilot and I’ve been put on time out a few times now hahaha.

Can’t analyze since my other Tesla is a M3 but I just got a new 2022 MY 7-seater last weekend.
Other than a couple of issues that the mobile service team just fixed, it’s been solid.

I got the AMD Ryzen chip
Heated steering wheel
USB drive in glovebox
Floormats
License plate frame
Heater rear seats (had to buy as an option on my MY)

Saw the front USB -C slots in front but haven’t tried them to make sure they’re even there

This morning on my drive I was getting irritated. It was cold out and my dash kept telling me that the front camera was blocked and thusly wouldn’t let me activate autopilot or cruise. With my older radar based M3, it wouldn’t matter. When I pulled into work, my front camera area had condensation on it so not sure if the defroster works up front.

I also am annoyed that I can’t go past 80 mph with autopilot and I’ve been put on time out a few times now hahaha.
Congrats on all of the upgrades. How long was it on order? Back windows laminated too? Should be 90 mph on Autopilot. Have they changed it?