Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud Regen Braking Noise (Cold Battery)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 got this in a software update at some point in the past ~year. It’s hard to keep track of time these days.

I drove a Model 3 until 2 weeks ago, so unless the update happened extremely recently, this is not normal.

I test drove 4 Model Ys, and only 1 exhibited the noise (plus mine). This sounds like another exhibit of Tesla’s “quality control”.

Yes - that’s a perfect description. When you hear the high pitched sound, the motors are operating in that inefficient mode, providing some additional heat to the battery and a few extra kW regen.

Model S & X don’t (currently) use the drive units to generate heat for the battery, so they don’t make the noise.

Yeah, so I’ve never navigated to a super charger but did today and noticed the exact same sound so agree it must be to generate heat for battery. It’s really loud and annoying but I’m assuming it’s intentional based on your feedback.

Finally had enough of Tesla’s “quality control” - met up with my lawyer friend to start the paperwork for a buyback.

The sad part is, I loved my first 2 Teslas, so obviously they’re able to build a vehicle that doesn’t sound like a dentist’s drill. Part of the benefit of giving up gas is getting rid of the ICE noise, but this is worse.

The Lucid Air is looking promising though - sounds like quality is a priority.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what your experiences are with regen braking noise in your Model Y? I have always felt mine was louder than normal, but now that's it's cold out, I've noticed that it produces a high pitched squealing sound when slowing down, especially at higher speeds. Since regen doesn't work well when the battery is cold, the car slows down gradually when releasing the accelerator pedal and the sound lasts for the entire time the car is slowly reducing speed. This is most apparent when regen is activated at higher speeds (especially on the highway). Does anyone else have a similar experience? I've tried to capture a video (link, below) but the mic is having a tough time picking up the sound...

Link (turn volume way up...Listen for high frequency sound):

Appreciate any feedback you can provide!

Mine does the same thing. I'm in a cold area and notice it when my radio is turned down low. It doesn't bother me much cuz I have music playing 99% of the time.

Finally had enough of Tesla’s “quality control” - met up with my lawyer friend to start the paperwork for a buyback.

The sad part is, I loved my first 2 Teslas, so obviously they’re able to build a vehicle that doesn’t sound like a dentist’s drill. Part of the benefit of giving up gas is getting rid of the ICE noise, but this is worse.

The Lucid Air is looking promising though - sounds like quality is a priority.

Are you sending Lemon Law notice or something different? Who do you contact to do this? I hear some people try for buyback the non legal approach first.

I have a really high pitched sound in similar conditions but also there but more quiet in warmer conditions. It is more noticeable when in off road mode because front motor activated more. I think older people might not hear it as it’s pretty high frequency but not sure. Mine is very faint though like if people are talking they won’t notice it. If they do hear it they don’t say anything as it sounds very faint.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what your experiences are with regen braking noise in your Model Y? I have always felt mine was louder than normal, but now that's it's cold out, I've noticed that it produces a high pitched squealing sound when slowing down, especially at higher speeds. Since regen doesn't work well when the battery is cold, the car slows down gradually when releasing the accelerator pedal and the sound lasts for the entire time the car is slowly reducing speed. This is most apparent when regen is activated at higher speeds (especially on the highway). Does anyone else have a similar experience? I've tried to capture a video (link, below) but the mic is having a tough time picking up the sound...

I have noticed when it's cold out, and especially when the battery is cold, regen is much louder than when it's warmed up. I never thought much about it, though, figured it was just the way it was. Never had an issue.

I commented earlier that my car would make loud sounds here in Canada as well. I updated the software to 48.35 and it was near impossible to hear today. It could be a coincidence, and maybe the battery was slightly warmer today (even though it was a few degrees cooler outside).

I tried listening to it on the way to work and home but it was far far quieter today.

Same noise in my Model 3. Speed needs to be over 40 km/h (25 mph) to make the sound appear when coasting. Then very annoying especially since it kicks in and out so abruptly when shifting between coasting ant thotteling. (Using cruise control on flat roads going 40 mph is the worst…). Temperature is Interesting, I have only had the car since new years (brand new), and living in Norway the temperatures have so far been between 24 to 50 F. Eagerly awaiting steady 70-ish temperatures. (22 C).

Hi Everyone,

No you should not get this .. regen should be silent, since its only magnetic fields and electons involved (though they might induce minor noise via magnetic coupling). You should get the car checked.

No you should not get this .. regen should be silent, since its only magnetic fields and electons involved (though they might induce minor noise via magnetic coupling). You should get the car checked.

Regen isn't silent when the battery is super cold, though.

Because regenerated energy can't be put back into the battery when it's cold, the car uses the same "motor stall" technique that it does when preconditioning for a Supercharger, and dumps that heat into the pack to heat it up more quickly, thus more quickly allowing stronger regenerative braking. This process produces a noticeable high pitch sound from the induction motor (less so from the permanent magnet motor), which happens to be the front motor on 3, Y and I believe Paladium S & X, although I have no direct experience there.

Regen isn't silent when the battery is super cold, though.

Because regenerated energy can't be put back into the battery when it's cold, the car uses the same "motor stall" technique that it does when preconditioning for a Supercharger, and dumps that heat into the pack to heat it up more quickly, thus more quickly allowing stronger regenerative braking. This process produces a noticeable high pitch sound from the induction motor (less so from the permanent magnet motor), which happens to be the front motor on 3, Y and I believe Paladium S & X, although I have no direct experience there.
Agreed, and of course here we are trying to decode what the OP means by the noise . how loud it is etc. My reading of his post was that the noise was sufficiently loud to be way beyond anything associated with the off-phase motor heating trick, but of course it may just be that he is hearing .. we all get incredibly sensitized to slight changes in the noise of our cars! :)

Reactions: Big Earl