Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love the Y. Hate the S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my service center has my Y for my AC problem. They gave me an old S as a loaner and I was shocked to find out the S is a nightmare for ingress/egress. I am only 6'1 but when I try to get in the driver's seat I hit my head on the edge of the roof. And to get out of the car I basically have to tuck and roll. And what makes all of this even worse is the B pillar is forward of my seat position so I ram my shoulder into the B pillar when entering and exiting! I really want my Y back ASAP. It is so easy to get in and out!

Reactions: Brown1428
I’m 6’5” and never had an issue.
The Y, like most CUVs is better for those that struggle with such things.
Yeah, same experience at 6'3". Have never had a problem and didn't realize this was even a thing people had a complaint about with the S. It's just like every other sedan I've ever driven. It's easier than our Volvo V60, for sure, but it's also huge in comparison.

No doubt SUVs are easier to get in and out of, though.

The ingress/egress in the S is closer to sports car than it is to a traditional sedan. First time I rode in an S that was the first thing I noticed. Getting in was similar to dropping into a sports car seat and getting out required more effort than any other sedan I had ever ridden in. I haven't ridden in the Y yet (order is on hold) but I imagine it's not a fair comparison. Even getting into and out of a M3 is easier than the MS.

Who mentioned the original roadster? hahahahahahahhhaahahha. I have a similar car and the entry/exit of that car is an exercise in humility for some folks. heehee

Yeah, same experience at 6'3". Have never had a problem and didn't realize this was even a thing people had a complaint about with the S. It's just like every other sedan I've ever driven. It's easier than our Volvo V60, for sure, but it's also huge in comparison.

No doubt SUVs are easier to get in and out of, though.
Funny how we can experience the same cars so differently.

I sold my Volvo V60 (2012) last month. It was easier to get in and out of the V60, for sure, but not a problem with either of the cars. The Model S is obviously bigger, but not huge in comparison. The V60 was more practical overall, so I have some regrets not selling the Model S instead.

I would love to see a video of your technique! I just cant get a handle on it without hurting myself! lol

I would like to see the technique as well. I can get in and out of my wife's 3 just fine, its not just worth the extra effort for me. Certainly having a car that is lower to teh ground has its benefits, and at one point I cared about that, but I don't now.

I'm 6'2, and while getting in and out of the 3 isn't exactly what I'd want, I have more trouble with being in the car after I am in it. First, the floor is too close to the seat so there is no place to put my legs except for all the way into the footwells. On longer drives I like to do something else with my legs and I can't with the 3 unless I have my knees up by the steering wheel. And further - beacuse of this, and having no extended thigh support on the seat like I had in previous BMWs, the front edge of the seat ends up right in the middle of my upper leg. And again, on longer drives, this eventually causes discomfort.

The Y will definitely be a welcome change. My wife and I test drove one this last friday, and when she eventually asked me about "testing out" the getting in and out of the car, I realized I had already gotten in and out 3 times and never gave it a second thought - because it was that little of a consequence. I hadn't even noticed. That's good enough for me.

Funny how we can experience the same cars so differently.

That reminds me of a guy I rented a Piper Cherokee airplane from years ago. I wanted to try one out, but after flying around in it I realized it the cockpit was just too small for me to be comfortable. At 6'2, I felt like I barely fit in at all, the lack of legroom made the rudder control difficult, and the yoke was right in my face / chest. I asked him about it when I returned the plane, and he said he never really noticed. And this guy was prob 6'4 and ripped. He was quite a bit bigger than I am in all directions.

Before I left I watched him taxi the plane back to the hangar, and it looked like a clown car situation to me. He clearly was crammed in there. Yet, he was not bothered at all. Everyone is different I guess.

I agree with the original poster.. I got a loaner as well. I have to say, the S is a pain to get in and out of.. and this is coming from a guy who had a NA Miata. I am 6'2".. I think what made the miata easier was no roof ;) The low roof-line in the S I think is what makes it such a pain to get into and out of.. not to mention the seating position.. much prefer my Y :)

I had difficulties with the S originally. Then I set up a special seat position for entering the car. The trick was to lower the seat and move the wheel. Never bumped my head any more. You can program this as a driver profile.

And the original Roadster required a special technique. But that is a different story.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP