Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loving phone instead of FOB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love not having to dig around for keys, especially if I'm carrying stuff to the car or out of it. Makes life so much easier. Have had a couple of instances where it didn't work and I looked like an idiot for a minute while it appeared I was trying to open a car that didn't belong to me (why does it always happen in a public place?), but otherwise it's been great.

I have a Note 9 and had no issues at all... until last night. I got near the car and it randomly started honking. I pulled out my phone to see if I was somehow pushing buttons, but I wasn't.

When I glanced back at the house, I see my jerky wife waving and laughing. Guess she was having fun with her app. :-/

• Funny
Reactions: Ludatik and rexian
I love not having keys for the car. I have had some issues with it working with my iPhone 7, but I still love it. As a back up I have the credit card in my wallet, if the phone as a key doesn't work, I tap my wallet against the door and it unlocks. Not a big deal.

Reactions: PA ZU
I also love not having a fob/key in my pocket. except when the phone doesn't unlock my doors.

I don't even mind pulling out my wallet to tap the b-pillar. I just wish they put a sensor on the passenger side, because most of the time, I'm opening that side first for my 3-yr-old. When phone doesn't work, I'm walking to driver side and back.

It fails every 5 or 6 attempts, which does wear down on you. To the point where I'm willing to put up with a fob in my pocket.

And now that it's getting colder and I'm wearing jeans again, I'm noticing that the car can't detect the phone when it's in my pocket.

Reactions: BOBEDIGITL
Personally, I'd just want a device that works reliably. I'm now used to smart key systems with my Prius and Volt. Whatever the device, be it a FOB, FOb, FoB, fOB, Fob, fOb, foB, fob or phone, as long as it works, I'll be happy.

But I think phone as key will be a trend and it will help stop Bluetooth implementations sucking so badly.

Giving up keys are one of the biggest assets of the car. We’ve had our car for 6 months, and I’ve never missed having a fob or key.

I have a “pocket” on my phone, which allows me to carry my drivers license, debit card, Tesla card and some cash. It’s very liberating.

Rarely do I need to physically open my Tesla app to open the car. If it doesn’t open when I depress the handle, it will usually open when I pull the phone out of my pocket. I LOVE it!

Reactions: Nathan
Anyone else having specific issues with 36.2 and the driver's door? Used to work very reliably for me, now it works very reliably for me on every door but the drivers door. I've learned that I can open the rear door and that will unlock all doors and then I can get in, but kind of a weird annoyance.

I love having the phone as a key.
The funny thing is last weekend I was helping out delivering Model 3s at my local service center. Every new owner got the “don’t leave your phone in the car” comment from me.
Sunday I was at the airport for a flight. Dropped the car at offsite parking/charging as usual and was standing in line at security when I realized I’d left my phone in the car :rolleyes:
Several unplanned shuttle rides later and I’ve got my phone and the car is locked.

Don’t forget your phoneo_O