Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Upgrade, Did YOU Do It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you use your mobile phone as a hot spot and pair via wifi instead of the upgrade? Just curious if anyone has done this instead?

I have done this with a hotspot device, not my phone. Works the same way as the phone. Browser speed is a little quicker as is song buffering but for me I wouldn't pay the $500 as 3G is sufficient for my usage. I don't use the browser. Even with LTE, it is much slower and does not have voice search or video capabilities.

I've got the LTE upgrade planned for a service appoint I have scheduled for next week. I think my car was built only a few weeks before it became standard, so I was a bit annoyed, but might as well get the upgrade.

However, I think its embarrassing that we need to reboot the center console to fix cellular connectivity issues at all. Even worse just how often many of us seem to have to do it. Kinda makes me want to scream at someone, like they forgot to correctly implement (or fix) some aspect of the code that manages the modem. Even if the modem needs to be reset periodically (which makes me think they should get a better modem that doesn't need to be reset), there should be a way of doing it without rebooting the whole center console.

I've got the LTE upgrade planned for a service appoint I have scheduled for next week. I think my car was built only a few weeks before it became standard, so I was a bit annoyed, but might as well get the upgrade.

However, I think its embarrassing that we need to reboot the center console to fix cellular connectivity issues at all. Even worse just how often many of us seem to have to do it. Kinda makes me want to scream at someone, like they forgot to correctly implement (or fix) some aspect of the code that manages the modem. Even if the modem needs to be reset periodically (which makes me think they should get a better modem that doesn't need to be reset), there should be a way of doing it without rebooting the whole center console.

I completely agree. Do you know if the LTE modem experiences similar issues?

i just don't think i've ever been in a situation while driving the car and using the navigation system where i thought "dammit i wish this thing would load faster".

i guess maybe if you are "max-zoomed-in" all the time on your map, but that's not me.

i will be putting this $500 toward a ludicrous upgrade instead.

I had the upgrade installed in my April 2013 S85 in October 2015. Happy I did it. Map load times appear to have improved (I've not MEASURED it; but my subjective opinion is that they load faster). Fewer pauses/gaps in Slacker. I drive routinely in several areas in Northern Virginia where the 3G service went to one bar or occasionally no bars. I've never lost service with LTE. And I've never had to reboot either.

I have only rebooted one set of times a few weeks ago after the 7.0 update took place and I began loosing odd sections of the display and various things starting becoming unresponsive... No issues since rebooting both the IC and 17", and nothing making me think there is some issue with LTE other than occasional slow map redraws and Slacker stalls when I have a single bar in areas of poor reception, but I honestly would expect that to be the case.

As of a few weeks ago, the service center here in Los Angeles (Centinela) has been holding off on further LTE upgrades, due to too many complaints from owners who have had the upgrade done. I don't know how widespread the problems really are (especially since many users here report positive results), but I've been waiting for several months now for the service center to resume LTE upgrades.