Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Motors Air production car revealed - finally competition for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lucid has Model X windshield but decided to obstruct it with a horizontal fake bar for some reason. This is probably one of the reasons why A pillars are so thick.

020a12_b24c7ff31f934612ae3b91039dfad296mv2_d_3733_2333_s_2.jpg

That horizontal bar is joined in the middle with another roof structure splitting perfectly large, seemless piece of glass into two smaller pieces.

020a12_1820d7d8703f4244a7595d76ab229f5emv2_d_3733_2333_s_2.jpg

I think they've taken the 'airplane feel' a bit too far. I love the motor/suspension and blower integration as well as split battery concept. Looking forward to see in on a road.

The more I think about this Lucid Air the more I realize how far Tesla is ahead of everyone.
They may indeed get this car out at the end of 2018, at which time they will be producing a 100 kwh car that has no fast charging infrastructure and costs about the same as the Tesla Model S. Oh, and probably an extremely limited sales and repair network.
Big deal. Next

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
It certainly is possible.
But most comments on the internets are about "airy" feeling and the first class airliner seats.
That is made possible by higher C pillar and eating into the trunk space.
As well as the quality of interior materials on the prototype.
Entirely true. I was just pointing out that it looked like you were mocking the post by suggesting it contained an implicit conflict and that wasn't necessarily the case. For example, I would appreciate a nicer, higher quality interior and would also like to retain the existing roof line.

Both interpretations are possible.

they will be producing a 100 kwh car that has no fast charging infrastructure and costs about the same as the Tesla Model S.
It's a great looking car and sounds like it will be a legit competitor. But when my lease is up in 2019 I will stick with Tesla. Why? 2 words: Super charger! (or is it one word ) :) I believe the SC network will keep Tesla ahead of the competition for a long time. Most EV's (non Tesla) now are a second car with an ICE as the long distant ride.

Until there are actually some on the road it's a lot of "Air".

Most certainly agree ... however, like a few of us left on this forum, I can remember plopping down a deposit on my Whitestar vaporware in March of 2009, when most (if not all) of my components were still minerals in the ground. Lucid is lacking one of the biggest reasons that I had no trouble pulling the trigger back then ... Elon.

The more I think about this Lucid Air the more I realize how far Tesla is ahead of everyone.
They may indeed get this car out at the end of 2018, at which time they will be producing a 100 kwh car that has no fast charging infrastructure and costs about the same as the Tesla Model S. Oh, and probably an extremely limited sales and repair network.
Big deal. Next

The same was said for tesla when they got started...all lucid has to do is create an adapter that works with a supercharger the way tesla has made adapters for all the other chargers. maybe charge the idle fee for lucid cars?

Clear the Air – The $52,500 Lucid Air

The Base Lucid Air

base price of $52,500, after the federal tax credit

The car that we have been showing publicly represents a well-optioned Lucid Air, leading to confusion regarding the price range. Much of the speculation suggests that the starting price of the car will be over $100,000, which is not accurate. The Lucid Air will have a base price of $52,500, after the federal tax credit available to buyers of battery electric vehicles is subtracted. The base model car will be well appointed and enjoyable to drive. It will provide superior comfort, a better user interface, and better performance than comparably priced BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes.

Features of the base Lucid Air include:

• 240-mile range
  • 400 horsepower (rear-wheel drive)
  • All hardware necessary for autonomous driving
  • Huge interior space in an efficient package
  • Two trunks, one in the front and one in the rear, with a combined storage capacity of over 32 cubic feet (similar to the volume of a 4-person hot tub)
  • 12-way power front seats
  • LED multi-lens array headlights
  • Four screens, with interactive-touch surfaces on three
  • 5-seat configuration with a rear bench seat
  • 10 advanced airbags
  • Aluminum roof
  • 19-inch wheels
  • 10-speaker audio system
  • Over-the-air software updates

The Base Lucid Air

The car that we have been showing publicly represents a well-optioned Lucid Air, leading to confusion regarding the price range. Much of the speculation suggests that the starting price of the car will be over $100,000, which is not accurate. The Lucid Air will have a base price of $52,500, after the federal tax credit available to buyers of battery electric vehicles is subtracted. The base model car will be well appointed and enjoyable to drive. It will provide superior comfort, a better user interface, and better performance than comparably priced BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes.

• 240-mile range
  • Two trunks, one in the front and one in the rear, with a combined storage capacity of over 32 cubic feet (similar to the volume of a 4-person hot tub)
  • 10 advanced airbags
  • Aluminum roof
  • 19-inch wheels

They must not expect to sell many of the base models...because that does't seem at all profitable.

The Base Lucid Air

• 240-mile range
  • 10 advanced airbags
  • Aluminum roof
  • 19-inch wheels

I wish them luck. They seem to be the first viable competitor to Tesla if they can produce it. Electrek notes that they still haven't started building the factory in Arizona yet. Aren't there a ton of shuttered auto plants throughout the US they could buy? It would save time and money and give me a bit more confidence on their viability and threat to Tesla.

Although I have a very favorable impression of the Lucid only from having read about it here, on Electrek, and from hearing accounts of some at the reveal,

I will say the "four screens" sounds like overkill for the passengers and a potential Achilles heel for Lucid.

The Base Lucid Air

• 240-mile range
  • 10 advanced airbags
  • Aluminum roof
  • 19-inch wheels
So an S-70 then...