Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous for free, bye bye SR (again), free white paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For folks in the US, Tesla did give precious owners a little incentive on the performance variants in Q2. They were able to get the higher federal tax credit and doing the math, it still worked out cheaper if you purchased in Q2 by about $3K-$4k depending on paint choice. Either way, good news Tesla keeps pushing the bar and making EV ownership more accessible for more people.

I bought my Model X 100D in May 2018 and paid $115,000, w/o Ludicrous Mode, and w/o Full Self Driving, but with all the other options. Now you can buy both upgrades, with the better suspension, and the higher range for less than what I paid. It's actually a GREAT deal forthose who have not yet purchased a Model X. Yes, I did get the benefit of the $7,500 federal credit, but I would have liked to get both options had I been given the choice last year.

I liked the MX so much that I recently bought a Model 3, but this time with the Performance Package + FSD options. The M3 drives so much better than the MX, but they are (2) completely different cars. Both are great, and I have no regrets, I just would have liked to get both features on the Model X. I also missed the FSD upgrade for $2,000, I would have purchased for sure, and I hope it's offered again.

I am puzzled by the change to free for the multi-coat white paint. I read a quote elsewhere that said Tesla claimed it was cheaper for them because it involves fewer service costs, or words to that effect. that struck me as odd because I have read posts on TMC to the effect that the multi-coat white is difficult to repair. One post said it was the most difficult to repair.
But it does look nicer than the plain white so I think people who take the new default paint will like it.

I am puzzled by the change to free for the multi-coat white paint. I read a quote elsewhere that said Tesla claimed it was cheaper for them because it involves fewer service costs, or words to that effect. that struck me as odd because I have read posts on TMC to the effect that the multi-coat white is difficult to repair. One post said it was the most difficult to repair.
But it does look nicer than the plain white so I think people who take the new default paint will like it.

Perhaps something to do with less scratches, nicks, dents etc showing on white than black at the time of delivery? People don’t notice as many imperfections on white. Personally if their paint process was perfect, it wouldn’t matter which colour they choose as standard.

I am puzzled by the change to free for the multi-coat white paint.

My take on it? The original intention was to switch to plain white, which shows less issues than plain black. This got announced by Elon. Then they realized adding another color would be too costly, and backtracked to pearl white instead. So now you're getting a premium multi-coat color for free. Until they change it up again. They should delete the Solid Black ($1000!) and bring back the premium black.