Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it is worth I was at the Palo Alto service center yesterday getting the seatbelt check done and asked about the timing of the upgrade there. While they couldn't confirm when it would be available they did say they had two techs at the factory currently for 2 days getting trained and that there were techs from all of the Bay Area service centers getting trained this week so I assume this will be starting "soon" outside of just the factory.
Factory is still close for me so still may go there anyway now the performance specs seems to justify parting with $5k.

"HV battery 1.5, performed at remanufacturing center"

Is Tesla taking our battery out and replace with a Ludicrous-upgraded reconditioned battery?
Aren't they are taking the battery and replacing the fuse? I can see it being considered re-manufacturing (since the fuse might not be a separate part number), but presumably you are getting your own battery pack back just with an upgraded fuse (and whatever else needs upgrading).

Attachments

• electric_metal-engraving-tool.jpg
    electric_metal-engraving-tool.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 139
Okay, here is the technical information I was able to gather on the max power thing. Max power can be used with or without ludicrous. Max power mode adjusts the HV battery to the optimal temp for the least amount of resistance, which allows for easier current flow. This is supposed to enhance acceleration but at the expense of range. However, most of the acceleration enhancements will be realized after 60+ mph.
Was this in an email from Tesla? If so, can you ask permission to share it? I'd love to see the exact phrasing.

- - - Updated - - -

First, select the blue "max battery power" hyperlink in the "driving" portion of controls - right under the "sport v. ludicrous" buttons. A window pops up to select "max battery power." (This is where I got confused). Making the selection doesn't appear to do anything within the pop up. You can toggle between selecting and "unselecting" this option and it switches between blue and grey but doesn't confirm whether you've turned it on or not. It isn't' until you exit the pop up window that you know if you've done anything. If you have, the initial "max battery power" hyperlink turns into a "count down" (mine was 45 minutes, which is longer than I recall taking - but it is 55 degrees out today, which is cold for San Jose). If you've failed to correctly select max power then the initial blue hyper link still reads "max battery power" just like it did at the beginning. I must have done this 4 or 5 times without choosing the right option in the pop up window.

Not being a numskull like me would also appear to be of some benefit in the exercise.
My P85D/Insane never shows a countdown for Max Battery Power. Just "Progressing..." or something like that.

This may be why they asked for deposits so early on; to measure actual interest. If the numbers were small, a pack swap would make sense. With larger numbers, training service centers to perform the modifications in the field makes more sense. There are only so many refurb packs Tesla can use.
I'm not sure that's the right way to think about it.

If you were planning to buy a new 70D and Tesla called you to say "we have a used 85 kWh pack that will give you essentially 80kWh rather than 70kWh, would you like that option instead of a new 70kWh pack?" would you take it? Knowing what I think I know about Tesla degradation, I'd definitely take them up on the offer if the warranty remained in place.

Last edited:
"HV battery 1.5, performed at remanufacturing center"

Is Tesla taking our battery out and replace with a Ludicrous-upgraded reconditioned battery?

I interpret that to mean Tesla removed his High Voltage Battery and upgraded it to version 1.5 at the "remanufacturing center" (and then put the same battery back in the car). I think this is consistent with other information and rumors that all of the initial upgrades are happening at the factory and Tesla hasn't yet decided if they will allow the modification to happen at certain Service Centers or will have all batteries shipped back to California to have the upgrade performed.

Mike