Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doug:
When I did my P90DL test drive, on the first two launches, the G force was so great that my body and go pedal foot moved back and thus my foot came off the pedal. Really.... So I had to move the seat a bit more forward and set the seat back more vertical to thwart the G force. None the less on the third launch I did feel a bit queezey afterwards. So I know what you mean.

Okay, just met up with MarcG: super nice guy - he didn't rufi me or anything! He drove his P85D, then my P85DL, then we did some side-by-side driving. I'll let MarcG speak for himself; plus, he also did take a little video so he may have some quantitative thoughts.

As for my last thoughts of the day:
- the difference off the line was noticeable immediately and the Ludicrous gradually kept pulling away.
- from 55-65 the cars were more or less the same.
- the difference was that the ludicrous didn't "hit the wall" - it kept pulling at a consistent rate all the way through the highest speed I was comfortable (9) driving (5).
- there is a difference post-upgrade. Whether it's worth $5,000 may ultimately be a subjective determination.

Okay, just met up with MarcG: super nice guy - he didn't rufi me or anything! He drove his P85D, then my P85DL, then we did some side-by-side driving. I'll let MarcG speak for himself; plus, he also did take a little video so he may have some quantitative thoughts.

- the difference off the line was noticeable immediately and the Ludicrous gradually kept pulling away.
- the difference was that the ludicrous didn't "hit the wall" - it kept pulling at a consistent rate all the way through the highest speed I was comfortable (9) driving (5).
- there is a difference post-upgrade. Whether it's worth $5,000 may ultimately be a subjective determination.

Well, my deposit is still looking good based on the above.

Only a a couple things left.

Some vbox numbers and impact on rated range.

Speaking of which, any noticeable penalty to your rated range in Luducrous vs Insane?

Also, how long did it take you to get the battery ready before it would allow you to select Ludicrous, or did I read earlier that you got up this morning and it was still in Luducrius?

Last edited:
My guess is until yo mama starts driving more normally he won't be able to tell us anything about efficiency. I imagine the last couple of days he has been driving a little more enthusiastically than usual. :)

Yes, without a doubt.

I'm glad that he brings good news so far in that his SOTP results are favorable. That has to happen before anything else.

Well, my deposit is still looking good based on the above.

Only a a couple things left.

Some vbox numbers and impact on rated range.

Speaking of which, any noticeable penalty to your rated range in Luducrous vs Insane?

Also, how long did it take you to get the battery ready before it would allow you to select Ludicrous, or did I read earlier that you got up this morning and it was still in Luducrius?
I did purchase the "Power Tools For Tesla" app, so I might be able to collect *some* data before the vbox. We'll see.

Really not sure about the impact on range. I don't have much of a commute so I've never cared about battery efficiency. But anecdotally, yeah - I've been hammering the accelerator for less than two days and ran a full charge down to 50 miles in that time.

Lastly, the battery has been "ready" for ludicrous since I picked it up - and that hasn't changed since. The one new tidbit is that I charged up at a supercharger before driving around with MarcG. The battery didn't need to "cool down" or anything. The ride settings stayed firmly in "ludicrous" mode and we were ready to rock immediately after disconnecting.

Lastly, the battery has been "ready" for ludicrous since I picked it up - and that hasn't changed since. The one new tidbit is that I charged up at a supercharger before driving around with MarcG. The battery didn't need to "cool down" or anything. The ride settings stayed firmly in "ludicrous" mode and we were ready to rock immediately after disconnecting.

Perhaps this idea that the battery needs to be in a certain state for Ludicrous to be available was a misinterpretation of something the service center person heard, , and in reality, as others have suggested, it's only a requirement that the temperature be correct to achieve the best specs, but Ludicrous mode itself is always available. It would actually make more sense this way, than to have the car popping back into Sport mode on its own when the battery wasn't warm enough. I think that would be pretty upsetting, and a lot of people might choose to pass on the upgrade if it meant not having basic Ludicrous ability available at all times.

I think you're going to find Ludicrous mode is always available.

Thanks again for coming up to meet me and letting me drive your car!

My first impressions are very similar to the above, with emphasis on the comments that the P85D "kept pulling away" and "didn't hit the wall" after 50 or 60 mph.

In an attempt to quantify this, I took two videos of each car accelerating from "highway speeds" (two from 50 to about 85 mph, and two from 60 to about 85 mph) which I plan on compiling into one video that will hopefully allow us to compare the higher-end acceleration of the two cars.

In the meantime, I should mention that the P85D did pull away from mine in our side-by-side acceleration test, during which we set TACC to 55 mph and accelerated at the same time.

For tonight, I'll leave you with the the video of our side-by-side launch acceleration test from a traffic light onto the on-ramp :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty impressive ... the P85D will push the old eyeballs to the back of the head ... the P85DL must have been really ludicrous ... :) Knowing what performance enhancements can cost ... looks like some bang for the old buck ... :)

Marc and Yo,
Your description makes it sound like the L allows for power to be drawn for a longer period of time and not that a "slug" of energy is available from highway speeds as I had speculated. This would actually dove tail nicely with the need to change the contractor spring as it would be sustained power draw that would result in contactor heating (and steel spring relaxation).

I must admit that I was hoping for the slug as this would have allowed the launch differential to have been present at highway speeds. I too noticed the P90DL pulled better at highway speeds during my test drive so there is likely very little difference between your 85DL and the 90DL. I did not launch the 90DL during my test drive as my P85D is already quick enough from a dead stop.

I really don't think max battery is primarily about heating, it's probably balancing cells. Otherwise the lowest cells can get drawn down too low under load, or even go negative polarity.

It's about heating. It says as much in the description and you can hear the heat pumps working when in use.

You don't need to have max battery enabled to enjoy Insane or Ludicrous mode. I'm not sure where that rumor or theory started.

I too noticed the P90DL pulled better at highway speeds during my test drive so there is likely very little difference between your 85DL and the 90DL.
Noticeable for the "common" man in your opinion? just wondering if its a "oh my thats fast" kind of difference or a "yes its slightly faster"-variant.

From the dragtimes-videos it seems more towards a "yes its slightly faster".

I am only interested in the highway-speed part here. As you say from dead-stop the car is more than fast enough for me at least. But from around 40mph+ I would have liked a bit more oooomph:)

darthy,
My impressions were that, given that my priority is not launch where the L has its best advantage, that I would not spend $5K for the difference I felt between the 90DL and my 85D at over 40 mph speeds. It was better, just not a lot lot better. This simple impression seems to be in line with Yo and Marc's impressions thus my comments. We will all know a lot more when dead stop and highway speed roll on VBox numbers are available.

My current plan is to evaluate the MotorTrend firmware version before making a decision to L upgrade or P90DL upgrade. I realize I can be impatient, but a lot of time has passed since Tesla used MotorTrend to confirm reliable ten second quarter mile runs. Common sense would have had Tesla pushing out that firmware to 90DL owners in the field by now given the current production cars can not come close to a ten second run. That gap is glaring especially given the difficulty Tesla is having with European P85D buyers. All of this is adding up to me wondering if Tesla ever will release the MT firmware to the wild or if they have truly gone the Ferrari route with magazine versions of their product.

Time will tell.....

Darthy and lola, we are on the same page. The weak point of the P85D (and probably the P90D) is acceleration above 40 / 60 mph. During the Ludicrous conf call, Elon said the car would go 20% faster to max speed. We have yet to see this improvement so there is hope but there probably also is a technical issue.