Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Houston and received a call yesterday from one of the two service centers here (forgot to ask which one but when I signed up I selected the new North Houston center). The rep. stated the the parts for my upgrade have been ordered and he'd give me a call back to schedule an appointment when he has an exact ETA on them.
Great to hear Houston is getting close! I was told the N. Houston SC was the location for the L upgrades. Hopefully I will get a call soon too.

Just picked mine up. Even in the cold noticeable improvement in the top end. Low end breaks traction for the first time as well. Very worth the upgrade.

Congrats! Where did you get the upgrade done?

(PS: the upgrade is still available for order online, now 6 months and 2 days after the announcement that the upgrade "will be available to existing P85D owners for the next 6 months")

Congrats! Where did you get the upgrade done?

(PS: the upgrade is still available for order online, now 6 months and 2 days after the announcement that the upgrade "will be available to existing P85D owners for the next 6 months")

Tysons (same as the others who had it done) Was #4 on the list. Well worth the money.

PS: the upgrade is still available for order online, now 6 months and 2 days after the announcement that the upgrade "will be available to existing P85D owners for the next 6 months"

Yes it is ... and interestingly it doesn't say anything on the website about the "limited availability" period that Musk announced. Clearly they can pull the offer whenever it suits them (likely without notice).
I'm still on the fence, struggling to talk myself into spending another $5k with a company that has serially overpromised and underdelivered. At a minimum, I will need an extended test drive of the P85DL before committing.

Ok
I've resorted to Jedi Mind Tricks with the local Service Center Manager.
The email went something like-

"You will begin L upgrades"
"You will begin L upgrades"

Fingers crossed.

So now I have joined you on the WPB wait list. It is patently absurd to go for Ludicrous since I am already insane, but probably insanity leads to inevitable Ludicrous decisions. Regardless, I did it. I know better but this seems like an irresistible drug.

Especially since "I must be out of my effing mind!" wouldn't fit well on a button on-screen, and doesn't have quite as nice a ring to it. :)

Well, they could have used an even shorter scheme that is sure is fit on the screen and let the users draw their own conclusions on the level of insanity or ludicrousness -> "$20K" mode for Insane, "$25K" and "$30K" for Ludicrous. A side benefit would be that we could tell P85DL and P90DL modes apart. LOL :tongue:

PS> Does anyone know whether "Ludicrous" mode is still called "Ludicrous" in other countries, or does it get translated to a local language via software localization along with other UI?

Anyone know how long the Fremont waiting list is or whether they're actually still performing the upgrades there at all these days? Did the crew perhaps go on a trip to train other service centers?

I'm not sure whether I was one of the first few to put a deposit in, but my email inbox has a PayPal receipt for $500 time-stamped Sept 26 9:41am PT. After several phone calls and emails to Fremont Service over the past few weeks, it's been like pulling teeth getting *any* information out of Fremont as to when I might come up in the queue... Seems vaguely reminiscent of the guy who ordered Elon's Engineering test car and got the radio silence treatment as those in-the-know nervously ignored his communications for weeks until someone finally broke and said "oops we don't have your car" a day before scheduled delivery.

I'm not asking them to move the moon here, just a little honesty and transparency... If the crew is out training others, why is this treated like a trade secret? Just level with me and set an expectation. i.e. "Hey, thanks for waiting, it will be next quarter at the earliest..."

Anyone know how long the Fremont waiting list is or whether they're actually still performing the upgrades there at all these days? Did the crew perhaps go on a trip to train other service centers?

We know there were "people from California" due in to help with Ludicrous upgrades in both Virginia and Florida. We know they didn't show up. We don't know why.

I'm not sure whether I was one of the first few to put a deposit in, but my email inbox has a PayPal receipt for $500 time-stamped Sept 26 9:41am PT.

I don't remember exactly when the web page to place a deposit opened, but people were writing to get on the waiting list before Musk finished speaking back on July 17. My guess is that you're in line behind people who wrote in before there was a way to actually place a deposit on line, but of course we're talking about Tesla and my guess is based on the way a good company that cares about communication with its customers would handle something like this, so on second thought my guess is probably worthless.

Good luck, though!

We know there were "people from California" due in to help with Ludicrous upgrades in both Virginia and Florida. We know they didn't show up. We don't know why.

I don't remember exactly when the web page to place a deposit opened, but people were writing to get on the waiting list before Musk finished speaking back on July 17. My guess is that you're in line behind people who wrote in before there was a way to actually place a deposit on line, but of course we're talking about Tesla and my guess is based on the way a good company that cares about communication with its customers would handle something like this, so on second thought my guess is probably worthless.

Good luck, though!

My (possibly imperfect) information is that the timing of the deposit is the driving factor in terms of prioritization on "the list." And the list is long - it was initially around 300+ people just in Fremont and I have to imagine it has grown since then. Fremont was still doing upgrades last time I was there, about two weeks ago. But IIRC their doing them like one a week.

As far as employee communication, I am constantly amazed at how the SC employees themselves are kept in the dark. So try not to get overly frustrated with the rank in file folks. Whatever the problem is, I'm confident they aren't the root cause.