Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 is a BMW, people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I said this when I joined as well, coming from being a BMW driver for about 15 years, and got the same response that is in this thread from some. A "M3" is a BMW ///M3, full stop. As I said when I posted this before, if you say a "911" everyone knows you are talking about a porsche. No other car is a 911. A BMW ///M3 is not only "A" model, its one of their "halo" cars.

We have a great car, and its called a model 3, or a model 3 performance, or "something" other than "M3". Its not "that" many more characters to type model 3 vs "M3", and there are likely many who comes to tesla and do not even know that "M3" is another Big brands "halo" sports sedan.

People dont refer to trucks other than Fords as "F-150s", many here would know exactly what I was talking about if I said "AMG C63" or "BRZ" or "RS3". I dont have as much problem with "M3P" but "M3" is a bmw, "forum slang" or not.

I don't want to be "that guy", but BMW has been making a very popular and successful car since 1986 called the M3. Many of you have owned one, I have owned 2. We simply can't refer to the Model 3 as the M3. It would be like Burger King coming out with a new hamburger and calling it the Big Mac. To this day every time someone refers to their M3 I think oh cool they have a M3, oh wait they're calling their Tesla an M3.

Someone has to come up with something different. I'm not the creative type, it won't be me.
When you start of with " I don't want to be "that guy" ".. it means your that guy.

In the grand scheme of things this is very much a first world problem. I mean seriously? This is a Tesla forum I don't see how anyone could confuse a Tesla Model 3 or M3 with a BMW M3 within the confines of a forum about Tesla vehicles? Outside of an online forum about Tesla vehicles you have a valid point some might think BMW or as another pointed out a Mazda. Outside of this forum I'd probably say Model 3. I personally intend to keep using M3 within the confines of Tesla forums as it's completely logical to assume we're talking Tesla Model 3.

71QKQ9mwV7L.jpg

This is a Tesla forum I don't see how anyone could confuse a Tesla Model 3 or M3 with a BMW M3 within the confines of a forum about Tesla vehicles? Outside of an online forum about Tesla vehicles you have a valid point some might think BMW or as another pointed out a Mazda. Outside of this forum I'd probably say Model 3. I personally intend to keep using M3 within the confines of Tesla forums as it's completely logical to assume we're talking Tesla Model 3.

One could easily confuse the two when the M3 is a direct competitor to the Performance Model 3.

or you could call it the ME, the way it was supposed to be.

In 10 or so years, when the BMW M3 and most other ICE vehicles are in the dustbin of history, the Tesla Model 3 will probably be commonly known as the M3 and only a few people will care to complain.

I don't want to be "that guy", but BMW has been making a very popular and successful car since 1986 called the M3. Many of you have owned one, I have owned 2. We simply can't refer to the Model 3 as the M3. It would be like Burger King coming out with a new hamburger and calling it the Big Mac. To this day every time someone refers to their M3 I think oh cool they have a M3, oh wait they're calling their Tesla an M3.

Someone has to come up with something different. I'm not the creative type, it won't be me.

I don't want to be "that guy" , but seeing as this is a bit of a green forum, when you type BMW I think of Biodegradable Municipal Waste. We simply can't refer to the Bayerische Motoren Werke AG as BMW. To this day every time someone refers to their BMW I think why are they talking about their biodegradable municipal waste? /s

I think people can call their Model 3 whatever they want....yes, it causes confusion, but like others have pointed out, there are plenty of other examples where names overlap.

I was searching to buy an R32 Skyline GTR for a while and searching for R32 finds the VW model, Skyline finds RV's, and GTR finds Mercedes and McLarens...

• Love
Reactions: George75 and CMoZ