Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 issue in the Colorado Mountains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi OP, I live on the other side of the same mountain (in Utah) and have been running Blizzarks on 18" rims. Even though I am RWD, my winter performance has been good so far. I assume you changed regen to low and dropped your pressure a bit. I agree that wipers can be a real pain at times.

For your defrost setting, did you tap defrost twice? One tap gives you lower setting. Second tap gives you full heat.

They are performance winter tires.

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 tire reviews information from Consumer Reports

Kind of funny, the 2 cons in reviews being ice and deep snow.

You are cherry picking from the reviews.

Consumer report says:
"Excellent snow traction and stopping on ice without much compromise to handling and traction on cleared roads."

Review 1: "Takes my Audi S3 through to November to April, mostly cold and wet roads but with regular snow covered and hilly terrain. An all rounder except the most extreme unplowed circumstances."

Review 2: "Snow traction simply OK.
I drive a 2012 Volkswagen Golf TDI, an economy car with a relatively sporty demeanor, and expected lots of stick when the snow fell. Instead, I watch helplessly as the Hyundai Accent next to me--shod with OEM all-season tires likely a third of the price of the Pilot Alpin 4s--pull away from me at a stop light. Lateral grip on snowy surfaces isn't much better, with lift-throttle oversteer particularly pronounced--at least in the Golf I drive."

Review 3: "Very good dry and wet
These are generally great. They handle in the dry winter nearly as well as my ultra high performance summers do in the warm weather. Wet is great as well. A couple of inches of snow is fine with these. Deep snow and ice are still a challenge, though that is probably as much the effect of my rear wheel drive car with low is clearance as the tries."

You are cherry picking from the reviews.

Consumer report says:
"Excellent snow traction and stopping on ice without much compromise to handling and traction on cleared roads."

Review 1: "Takes my Audi S3 through to November to April, mostly cold and wet roads but with regular snow covered and hilly terrain. An all rounder except the most extreme unplowed circumstances."

Review 2: "Snow traction simply OK.
I drive a 2012 Volkswagen Golf TDI, an economy car with a relatively sporty demeanor, and expected lots of stick when the snow fell. Instead, I watch helplessly as the Hyundai Accent next to me--shod with OEM all-season tires likely a third of the price of the Pilot Alpin 4s--pull away from me at a stop light. Lateral grip on snowy surfaces isn't much better, with lift-throttle oversteer particularly pronounced--at least in the Golf I drive."

Review 3: "Very good dry and wet
These are generally great. They handle in the dry winter nearly as well as my ultra high performance summers do in the warm weather. Wet is great as well. A couple of inches of snow is fine with these. Deep snow and ice are still a challenge, though that is probably as much the effect of my rear wheel drive car with low is clearance as the tries."

I don't think that's cherry picking. It's in all the reviews you posted... the same issues with snow and ice.

It was working reliably...
I know from my own experience that the auto wipers are anything but reliable. If you're going to take away the option to operate the wipers manually without having to look down at the screen (potentially at a time when this is most dangerous) this is not acceptable IMO.
the wipers were trying very hard to clean the dirty windshield as instructed by the driver. As a human we know that it won't work because it's dried salt and crap on the windshield. As a human, we are also responsible for removing the ice on our wipers before we start driving and using the appropriate washer fluid for our environment.
Any $2 rain sensor has the capability to tell salt and crap from rain on the windshield. If Tesla can't train their fancy neural net to do the same, then maybe they should use the tried and true existing solution.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
For your defrost setting, did you tap defrost twice? One tap gives you lower setting. Second tap gives you full heat.

Thanks. I was really wondering why the icon was blue when you turn on defrost. Of course I'm in California, so it doesn't really matter, but somehow I had missed this in my reading of the Owner's Manual. I learned something; thanks! I guess maybe I would have figured it out eventually. One tap: Defog....two taps: Defrost!

I feel like there must be a way in the GUI to make it more clear that it is "half-warm" and another setting exists (without reading the manual). I took blue to mean "cold"...which I found odd, but which I now understand...but for whatever reason I had failed to make the logical leap that there might be another setting...I was just left wondering why the heck it was blue. Oh well, now I know.

Reactions: Ludalicious
I know from my own experience that the auto wipers are anything but reliable. If you're going to take away the option to operate the wipers manually without having to look down at the screen (potentially at a time when this is most dangerous) this is not acceptable IMO.
Any $2 rain sensor has the capability to tell salt and crap from rain on the windshield. If Tesla can't train their fancy neural net to do the same, then maybe they should use the tried and true existing solution.
The rain sensor was calibrated in California, which explains everything.

You can manually trigger it at any time without looking via the stalk. You can adjust the speed to anything you want with the same number of button presses it took to get to auto. So your concerns about safety are completely unfounded.

Yeah regular ones work super well /sarcasm

You can manually trigger it at any time without looking via the stalk. You can adjust the speed to anything you want with the same number of button presses it took to get to auto. So your concerns about safety are completely unfounded.
You know, this kind of fanboy attitude really p*sses me off. Just a few weeks ago I got into a sudden downpour and the auto wiper didn't move. I could barely see anything and then on top of that had to fumble around with the screen to get the wiper going. Don't tell my my "concerns" are "unfounded". This is a downright dangerous design flaw, and Tesla needs to fix it.

You know, this kind of fanboy attitude really p*sses me off. Just a few weeks ago I got into a sudden downpour and the auto wiper didn't move. I could barely see anything and then on top of that had to fumble around with the screen to get the wiper going. Don't tell my my "concerns" are "unfounded". This is a downright dangerous design flaw, and Tesla needs to fix it.
Press the button on the left to manually trigger the wiper whenever you need it absolutely right now.

It's not a fan boy attitude. It's simply experience with using windshield wipers and knowing how to use them, how to care for them, etc.

Keep in mind you are the one that set it to auto... ;)

drQpgbu.png

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf#page=55

Last edited:
I just manually press the wipe button on the stalk until I have time to take my eyes off the road for a split second to set the wiper speed. I’m skeptical that they’ll ever get it working perfectly. The camera can’t see the windshield. Maybe there’s a voice command?

OP, I drove from Denver up to Winter Park yesterday around 9:00am or so. I70 was shut down heading past Loveland so we went to WP. The ride up 40 was pretty bad, snow covered roads. I have a performance 3 with 18" Michellin XICE on and was sliding around more than I did in my Honda fit. Strange, I didn't have a problem the last storm we had but I saw a few other cars slipping a bit too. I'm not sure what to think, but it didn't feel as solid as I would have liked.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7 and MikeBur
I'm a little confused here, OP. How exactly did your brakes fail? Your post and title don't seem to match.

Regarding things getting slippery, what's the difference between an ICE pushing 4 wheels and electric motors pushing 4 wheels? The vehicle weights are about the same, 4 wheels are turning, so what's different?

I just manually press the wipe button on the stalk until I have time to take my eyes off the road for a split second to set the wiper speed. I’m skeptical that they’ll ever get it working perfectly. The camera can’t see the windshield. Maybe there’s a voice command?
Maybe they could find some way to activate continuous wiping using the stalk (double-click the button?).

I know that sounds pretty obvious, but the thing is that Tesla has to train the neural net for recognizing debris/water/salt/dirt on the windshield anyway. When the cameras are being used to track lanes and objects for EAP and FSD, the neural net also has to be able to to filter out those items on the windshield/lens so that they don't interfere with the algorithms.

Since Tesla has to develop that capability for the neural net anyway, it makes sense to use that same neural net for the wiper controls. It actually is even closed loop -- if the neural net determines that too much water is in the way to reliably detect the lane lines and objects, it needs to command the wipers to clear the water.

It may not be working perfectly yet, but it's a necessary software development step for EAP/FSD. It's not just a frivilous lofty decision for "coolness" sake, or an attempt to cut costs by $2.

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer