Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Performance after updating to 2020.48.12.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can see through the finger prints the installer definitely says unwrapping present which in 2019 brought some games updates etc.
Unwrappin present.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I feld the same yesterday. I was driving with my son. Car was cold, ambient around 10C. We both felt a beefier oomph at the launch. Doesn’t matter if it isnt showing in the 0-60 time. .

I mean- it does though.

If it's measurably no different, then it's no different, even if your imagination tells you otherwise.

If there actually was any more "oomph" at launch (or anywhere along the 0-60) it'd be measurable.

There's not and it isn't.

Reactions: dfwatt
You did not do a pre-update and post-update runs on the same date with similar weather/warmup and SOC. So, TBH, your single data point isn't remotely conclusive.

That said, I haven't felt any change.

I have dozens of data logs on the same road with same configurations from tire pressure to SOC, and also have the data charted showing the differences between speeds with the battery temps. That's how I discovered the stepped (not linear) significant variations at 95 and 105 degrees on the battery temp (there may be another at 115 degrees, but it's so close to 105 degrees i can't say for sure). If I go out and run that 0-60, and it's <5% variation from the median of my previous, then, there have been no changes to anything.

But without regard to how much data I have, no matter if it was a collection of 16,000 data points recorded with satellite calibrated systems by a department of defense supplier, people here would still say 'but you didn't calculate in the angular changes of the earth's rotational position as it was compared to your last recording'. Because it's easier for people to sit behind a keyboard and place doubt, than to put the effort into contributing anything.

Jokes aside - can someone compare the 30-50mph times?

this is where I feel it - I don’t really launch my car so this wasn’t a consideration in my first post anyway

Given it's a 1-speed transmission any increase in 30-50 times would also be obvious in the 0-60 times.

There aren't any.

Attached is a pic of the spreadsheet I wrote up a while ago- the post-update draggy data Sam posted matched the previous post-both-5%-bump numbers on the P to within a couple hundredths of a second across the board- including 30-50 (his data shows 1.09 seconds to do 30-50, mine shows 1.07 from an older software)

LRAWD2.png

Given it's a 1-speed transmission any increase in 30-50 times would also be obvious in the 0-60 times.

There aren't any.

Attached is a pic of the spreadsheet I wrote up a while ago- the post-update draggy data Sam posted matched the previous post-both-5%-bump numbers on the P to within a couple hundredths of a second across the board- including 30-50 (his data shows 1.09 seconds to do 30-50, mine shows 1.07 from an older software)

View attachment 620542

Thanks for the response. Lack of gears doesn't mean the car isn't throttling back output at a certain speed.

• Disagree
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Thanks for the response. Lack of gears doesn't mean the car isn't throttling back output at a certain speed.

No, but it means the 30-50 data from a 0-60 run tells you the same thing as just measuring a 30-50 run does- and we already had that info from the previous post.

In contrast a car with a multi-speed transmission may display different behavior going 0-60 than flooring it at 30 to measure to 50 based on the gear you start in and downshifting behavior.

Makes it a lot easier to gather passing speed data on a 1-speed car.

And it's why Teslas are generally quicker than nearly every ICE car in the world in passing speed tests like 30-50.

On one hand, we have someone who says "It feels faster to me"... and on the other hand, we have someone who attempted to give some evidence of testing against previously known values that says "no its not"... yet somehow its still "oh I dont know... it feels faster to me".

Yes, that is exactly correct. I drive approximately 40,000 miles per year. I have racing licenses in Germany, France, and the US. I've been involved in auto sport since I started karting at the age of 5. I have a pretty good sense for speed relative to time in a motor vehicle, especially that I own and drive with consistency.

Maybe something was messed up in my car and that worked itself out during the last hard reset that's part of the update. Maybe the update affected my car's components different than someone else's car. I talked to someone else who was feeling the same way about his M3P.

I was asking a question to see if other people were experiencing something similar. Doesn't seem that other people are, for the most part. That's fine. It doesn't change that I'm feeling a little extra power in certain situations.

I expect a moderator to be somehow be a better conversationalist when it comes to shepherding a discussion, without acting snarky.

Alles gut... thanks everyone.

Thing is, you're like the 937,000th guy (roughly) to wander in and start a thread imaging some random update gave him more power (or often less power- depending who the poster is)- and then be shown with calibrated measuring devices it didn't change the performance of the car at all.

I don't care if you invented the wheel, an actual accelerometer is still a lot better than you at measuring if there's actual performance differences.

Not to mention Tesla's been pretty upfront about telling owners, right in the release notes, when they make a performance improvement via software too.

....Not to mention Tesla's been pretty upfront about telling owners, right in the release notes, when they make a performance improvement via software too.
Yea, Tesla NEVER misses ANY opportunity, nor should they to brag and promote, especially when it comes to performance. Hell Tesla went overboard a year back on the 5% power increase that was a minimal increases in performance.

No way was there a measurable performance increase without it being at the top of the release notes AND reported on sites like Electriek.