Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Steering Wheel Functionality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody taken a close look at the steering wheel pictures that have been posted? I see the small round buttons or rollers on each side of the steering wheel, but has anybody noticed the bottom of the steering wheel?? Does that look like a touch pad like on a laptop computer?? Now that would add some functionality to all the toys!!

Has anybody taken a close look at the steering wheel pictures that have been posted? I see the small round buttons or rollers on each side of the steering wheel, but has anybody noticed the bottom of the steering wheel?? Does that look like a touch pad like on a laptop computer?? Now that would add some functionality to all the toys!!
It's possible, but I think that would be the worst place to put a touch pad. I think the "glossy" appearance is just that, an appearance of the material used.

As many have stated already, I'm wondering if these are the final version of the steering wheel.
My main concern is that there are absolutely no markings around the scroll wheel ball things. I can't think of any other steering wheels that don't have some kind of labels associated with the controls.
I suspect the actual steering wheels will be similar. Same basic shape and controls, but I'm expecting (hoping?) that the materials and finish will be a little nicer.

Reactions: Railhawk52
As many have stated already, I'm wondering if these are the final version of the steering wheel.
My main concern is that there are absolutely no markings around the scroll wheel ball things. I can't think of any other steering wheels that don't have some kind of labels associated with the controls.
I suspect the actual steering wheels will be similar. Same basic shape and controls, but I'm expecting (hoping?) that the materials and finish will be a little nicer.
But if the scroll wheels perform multiple functions, what would they be labeled as?

But if the scroll wheels perform multiple functions, what would they be labeled as?

Probably context-aware with a big software "meter" on the left edge of the screen. If you have TACC on, cruise speed. If you're playing audio, volume on left and station/track on right. Maybe push-and-hold for voice control.

It's like the old iPod wheel: depending on your context, it does different things.

Reactions: Chris L and dsvick
Probably context-aware with a big software "meter" on the left edge of the screen. If you have TACC on, cruise speed. If you're playing audio, volume on left and station/track on right. Maybe push-and-hold for voice control.

It's like the old iPod wheel: depending on your context, it does different things.
I had a feature-rich clock radio like that, where the same buttons did different things depending on order of use and context. It made the simplest things ridiculously complicated.
Is this where I yell at kids to get off my lawn?
Robin

any idea how those scroll wheels interact with the infotainment system? seems like its going to be a PITA to do simple tasks in the model 3 that my 5 year old honda can do easily from the steering wheel -- like change volume or radio station.

any idea how those scroll wheels interact with the infotainment system? seems like its going to be a PITA to do simple tasks in the model 3 that my 5 year old honda can do easily from the steering wheel -- like change volume or radio station.
It shouldn't be any harder to do stuff than any other car. Like @ikjadoon mentioned, it'll be context sensitive. You might have to change the context using one of the wheels but then the other wheel will perform functions based on that context. Or, there could be dedicated controls on the back of the steering wheel for common functions like volume, answer/disconnect a call, etc.

Reactions: ikjadoon
Most likely, the wheels scroll vertically and can be pushed in to select an entry. Judging from the apparent rubberized section, they may also be able to move right and left like arrows keys. So more or less functionally equivalent to a D-pad. On Model S/X, I think you can press a scroll wheel to show a list of possible control functions (volume, station, pano roof, etc.), select the function, and then that wheel controls that function (volume up/down, etc.). Owners please jump in and correct me.

That kinda makes sense, except the main screen doesn't really have a linear menu. that would be like using the tab key to select an icon on your desktop -- unless there is some sort of menu overlay when the steering wheel dials are used which would be slightly better. even still, i envision pressing a dedicated button to be more intuitive than scrolling through to find sound, then motioning to raise or lower.

It shouldn't be any harder to do stuff than any other car. Like @ikjadoon mentioned, it'll be context sensitive. You might have to change the context using one of the wheels but then the other wheel will perform functions based on that context.