Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 windows frozen and will not drop when opening car door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of what I'm reading here "it seems" are not Tesla or Model 3 specific issues. Many modern cars now have to drop the window slightly to open the door and thus have the same issues. A quick read across forums or a google search reveals that.

Recessed handles similar in design to those on M3 have been around for decades on various car models here and there, Heck my 1956 Desoto had handles where you had to press on one end to get the handle to come out to get hold of it to pull on it and it also had frameless glass the solution at that time was to allow the top window trim to swing out to clear the glass upon opening the door. Yes that had winter issues as well.

These problems are as old as cars and winter. Not sure why suddenly we expect Tesla's or M3 to be any different.

Yes, have an Audi A5 in Rhode Island. Last week, ice storm, unable to open the doors. ..next day was able to get in on passenger, sunny, side, and run the car for 30 minutes before being able to lower the drivers window enough to open the door.

I don’t thing that’s feasible, unfortunately. They have many small but expensive issues and now a not-insignificant number of cars sold. The cost of retrofitting them all would probably bury them.

Since these cannot be immediately classified as safety issues, I doubt Tesla can be forced to recall the cars, so they’ll just deal with them on an individual basis, which is to say they’ll fix as little as they can get away with.

I think having a car that doesn't handle typical winter conditions properly is a significant enough issue requiring addressing. Typically these issues are addressed through voluntary recalls. In warmer climates I'm sure owners won't bother. Don't be ridiculous - this won't 'bury' them. Let's say each retrofit costs $500. Simply increase the cost of future cars by approximately the same amount to cover the difference. It will balance out eventually.

• Disagree
Reactions: TeeEmCee
I think having a car that doesn't handle typical winter conditions properly is a significant enough issue requiring addressing. Typically these issues are addressed through voluntary recalls. In warmer climates I'm sure owners won't bother. Don't be ridiculous - this won't 'bury' them. Let's say each retrofit costs $500. Simply increase the cost of future cars by approximately the same amount to cover the difference. It will balance out eventually.

I've had all the winter issues and the only one which I think warrants a retrofit is the charging port lock:
  • The windows are sorted with silicone spray and it's not an uncommon kind of issue for all types of cars and window designs
  • The door handles just need a thump when they get frozen (like every time it's washed). I suspect they will adjust the design to either warm them up or have a larger gap around so water doesn't get trapped and seal them frozen.
  • The charging port is a must-fix for me or I won't take this car into another winter - I can't ever be stranded again unable to drive my car because I can't disconnect/connect - it's a massive inconvenience at best and could even be a safety issue. I am sure the redesign must be quite easy, maybe already done so they need to roll this out to those of us in the cold zones.
As long as they give me a new charge port I can live with the rest and forgive them for never doing proper "living with the car in winter" testing.

For your information, my car got the cold weather charge port update by my local service center. So far so good after a week. But haven't experienced humid conditions yet.

It's possible they are testing here in Quebec, Canada and not doing it elsewhere for now.

I've had all the winter issues and the only one which I think warrants a retrofit is the charging port lock:
  • The windows are sorted with silicone spray and it's not an uncommon kind of issue for all types of cars and window designs
  • The door handles just need a thump when they get frozen (like every time it's washed). I suspect they will adjust the design to either warm them up or have a larger gap around so water doesn't get trapped and seal them frozen.
  • The charging port is a must-fix for me or I won't take this car into another winter - I can't ever be stranded again unable to drive my car because I can't disconnect/connect - it's a massive inconvenience at best and could even be a safety issue. I am sure the redesign must be quite easy, maybe already done so they need to roll this out to those of us in the cold zones.
As long as they give me a new charge port I can live with the rest and forgive them for never doing proper "living with the car in winter" testing.

For your information, my car got the cold weather charge port update by my local service center. So far so good after a week. But haven't experienced humid conditions yet.

It's possible they are testing here in Quebec, Canada and not doing it elsewhere for now.

Are you referring to the software update to unlock the port, or a full replacement of the charge port?

Its starting to get cold here in Chicago. My P3D+ is parked outside. Tomorrow and Thursday are the cold days as actual temp is going down to -24 degrees as a high all day. Driving to work I saw 410kwh on the energy screen. 208 miles on the battery and 102 miles predicted.

So far today....just sitting outside

8AM 1degrees 208miles
9AM 0degrees 205miles
10AM 1degrees 204miles
11AM 3degrees 201miles

Its starting to get cold here in Chicago. My P3D+ is parked outside. Tomorrow and Thursday are the cold days as actual temp is going down to -24 degrees as a high all day. Driving to work I saw 410kwh on the energy screen. 208 miles on the battery and 102 miles predicted.

So far today....just sitting outside

8AM 1degrees 208miles
9AM 0degrees 205miles
10AM 1degrees 204miles
11AM 3degrees 201miles

Ok...so now the snowflake has just appeared on the app.

12AM 5degrees 195miles

I received this message on the screen as I'm pulling out of the parking lot at work. Currently 4 degrees F.

I called Tesla Customer service twice and asked about it. They both indicated that the battery is heated by the motors and that as soon as the batteries heat up....the message will go away.

Battery message.jpg

According to some Tesla technicians in Canada, there will be a replacement program soon. The part is not ready yet. My guess is that the fix I got is to test this new design before doing the mass replacement.

They replaced the latch - not the full port. See attached image for part numbers (some sections are in French)

If its hardware....then there should have been a recall. There hasn't been a recall on the charge port doors.

The only recall I had was on the front frunk hood latch. And I didn't even know about that one….I had to go to the Service Center and then they told me.

Is it possible that your charge port part number is on your repair ticket?

Attachments

• 8F9CDB3A-9AFB-40BF-96BA-FF30156C2018.jpeg
    8F9CDB3A-9AFB-40BF-96BA-FF30156C2018.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Same happened to me in about 15degree weather, I preheated the car to 72 for about 15min. The handle was frozen stiff but manageable but the door struggled to open because the window didn't drop. Because my coat was in the car and I was in a rush, I think I accidentally just muscled the door open but then had difficulty when it wouldn't shut. Eventually I got it as I couldn't just sit there in that weather with the door open; however, it bent/made a dent in the middle of the chrome door trim. Has anyone approached Tesla about a replacement for this?

I'm trying to avoid them at all costs based on all the things I hear about them being overwhelmed. Hopefully this would be an easy fix?

It was the same temperature this morning (<20F) and I didn't have time to preheat the car for more than 5-10min. Based on what I read in these forums, I took out a plastic card from my wallet and started to etch out the door handle and along the bottom of the driver side window to break up any ice. I could feel it (my driver's license) breaking up the frozen moisture between the window seal and the window. I had to do the same thing around the door handle--before giving it a bump with my fist. In the end the door opened easily.

Looks like the problem of the windows not opening in cold weather relates to the window sealing to the door with ice, not anything to do with the window motor.

My drain progress today.

8am - 208 miles left -20 degrees F
9am - 202 miles left -20 degrees F
10am - 194 miles left -20 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.
11am - 188 miles left -18 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.
12pm - 185 miles left -18 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.
1pm - 184 miles left -17 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.
2pm - 183 miles left -18 degrees F - snowflake shows up on battery.

On the way to work avg Wh/mile = 482 from the map screen.