Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 windows frozen and will not drop when opening car door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the first serious issue with freezing handles this morning. They have been hard to open on cold days, but not this this. Luckily the windows didn’t freeze in the upper position. I had to force the rear handle open to let my daughter in to the car get her to the bus. It was 27F and hadn’t rained in 2 days. There was ice in the rear door handle enclosure which I discovered after I forced the handle open. It appears that ice will form behind the door handle due to the angle of the enclosure. There appears to be no holes to remove water and the angle is opposite to which would allow water to run out.

To all those assuming that this isn’t an issue I can officially state (and yes i’ll play this card, as a NASA engineer) that this is an issue.

The doors will freeze and not for the normal reasons. I’ve leased a Chevy Volt which would freeze shut if there was heavy freezing rain, but not like this. Even the slightest rain days before will freeze the handles shut.

Elon, or your very capable engineers, please figure this out. It’s going to be a long 9 years owning this car in a cold climate if you don’t.

Link to proof?

Show us where all of these people are. I haven't seen one article anywhere yet. Not even from Canada. Not even this thread @ ONLY 5 pages deep and we are half way through winter. 90K Teslas sold last quarter with no huge numbers of winter issues. Where are the articles and such that you are quoting from concerning large numbers of people with winter issues?

Shouldn't people like this be having insane winter issues? Read the article. Watch the video.

Watch Tesla Model 3 drift around on snow track

Mine performs very well in cold climates so far. I live in Chicago. Its 19 right now with frozen rain coming down. and my P3D+ is doing just fine.

No frozen anything. I have no "problems" as you have stated above. My frameless window isn't a "problem" at all. My doors aren't frozen...etc.

FUD until proof/link.

The proof is a firmware update trying to mitigate the issue and also the issue with the charging handle freezing to the charge port.

There are threads in multiple forums around these problems.

I don’t know how widespread the issues are, but I do know that the owners reporting the issue indicate they didn’t have these types of problems with their previous vehicles.

The proof is a firmware update trying to mitigate the issue and also the issue with the charging handle freezing to the charge port.

There are threads in multiple forums around these problems.

I don’t know how widespread the issues are, but I do know that the owners reporting the issue indicate they didn’t have these types of problems with their previous vehicles.

No...I disagree. Every firmware update is not an update to mitigate an issue of the masses.

There aren't threads in multiple forums around these problems. There are no links to them.

No links to people saying that they didn't have the same issues with their previous vehicles.

Come on....

Reactions: humbaba
It was around 20F in MASS this morning. We had no noticeable precipitation overnight.
All four windows were stuck in the up position!
In other words you risked damaging the chrome trim or the internal window mechanism just by trying to open or close the door.
Girlfriend not a happy camper.
Car was warmed up for 5 or 10 minutes.

I'm not freaking out yet, but that kind of sucked.

Reactions: Big City and Carl_P
Today, with the car inside an unheated garage overnight, 6 deg F outside; the windows froze up, and the handles were difficult to use. I have used 303 Rubber Seal protectant in the past, but I haven't reapplied in months. It has been a warm winter.

My wife had to work today, but she only preheated for a short time, and then she couldn't get the car door to close. I had to try 3 times, outside the car, to get it to shut fully. I also noticed that the driver window would not move down via the interior button (but the passenger side did). It didn't even try to move down. I thought that might help close since the window would now clear the trim.

So I wonder if the issue is the motor freezing?

This needs to be fixed. My STI (framed windows), was parked outside all night and the door opened as normal.

What would you do in an ICE car with frameless windows that is not able to preheat at all?
I had a 2005 WRX with frameless windows, but it didn't do the roll-down to open motion, and I never had a problem opening the door.

Reactions: Aellinsar
Today, with the car inside an unheated garage overnight, 6 deg F outside; the windows froze up, and the handles were difficult to use. I have used 303 Rubber Seal protectant in the past, but I haven't reapplied in months. It has been a warm winter.

My wife had to work today, but she only preheated for a short time, and then she couldn't get the car door to close. I had to try 3 times, outside the car, to get it to shut fully. I also noticed that the driver window would not move down via the interior button (but the passenger side did). It didn't even try to move down. I thought that might help close since the window would now clear the trim.

Had the same thing in central NJ this morning. Unheated garage, but car was out in the weather the previous night when we had a rainstorm. Door handles frozen, but easily breakable. Door would not close until 4 or 5 attempts. Then when I was sitting there getting myself settled, the door popped open on its own. Took 2 more close attempts to get it closed.

Last night we were visiting family for about three hours. Doors were fine on the way there. Trying to get home, everything was frozen (Car was preheated for 5-10 minutes), but I was able to get all four doors open, but only three closed. One of the windows didn’t lower when closing, hit the chrome trim, and scratched it badly along the entire length of the door. I had to use a credit card between the window and seal to get it to lower and be able to drive. Once home the same one door wouldn’t close again.

I made a service appointment next week, and will be hoping they replace the chrome under warranty. I don’t like to make big deals of things, but I will if I have to pay out of pocket for this. I’ve had car doors freeze before, but never have I had to worry that if a door opens, it won’t be able to close without damaging the car.

I know going forward in below freezing temps that just because the door opens doesn’t mean it will close. Be extra, extra careful closing your doors, to make sure the window clears the trim.

So I wonder if the issue is the motor freezing?

This needs to be fixed. My STI (framed windows), was parked outside all night and the door opened as normal.

I had a 2005 WRX with frameless windows, but it didn't do the roll-down to open motion, and I never had a problem opening the door.

If you preheat the car long enough, during the days at risk you will be fine. It’s been a non issue for me knowing what is needed to keep them from freezing.

There may not be a great fix for this, so you may have to figure out how to solve it during these risky days.

Reactions: homer214 and Deal
If you preheat the car long enough, during the days at risk you will be fine. It’s been a non issue for me knowing what is needed to keep them from freezing.

There may not be a great fix for this, so you may have to figure out how to solve it during these risky days.
I'm not finding the glass stuck to the rubber gasket, it seems like the motor freezes and won't attempt to lower. I don't know...just give me framed windows (KISS).

I'm not finding the glass stuck to the rubber gasket, it seems like the motor freezes and won't attempt to lower. I don't know...just give me framed windows (KISS).

Ok, but if the glass is frozen, the motor won’t move because it can’t.
The glass can be frozen to the rubber car body gaskets, or it can be frozen to the door seal it slides down into.
Chances are it’s one of the deals as opposed to the motor.

Reactions: Snow Drift

I’ve been warming up my M3 every day from the house - an excellent feature - and have had no major issues other than occasionally having to give the handle a little light tap with my glove.

In MA without a garage. Last two days have been very cold (zero or lower Fahrenheit) with a variety of expected winter precipitation. Haven’t used silicone yet, but will if I have an issue.

Had my windows, doors and charge door all freeze other night.
Windows froze to the rubber where it drops into the door. Was able use a thin plastic scrapper to break ice for all the windows.
Handles just needed hard push.
Charge door needed to be presses all around and wiggled a bit to break the ice (not sure how smart this is).

Fix: Bought can of RV Window Dry Silicone Lube and sprayed down into all window/door seals, sprayed behind all door handles and sprayed under charge door where it meets the body all around. So far so good.

Ok, but if the glass is frozen, the motor won’t move because it can’t.
The glass can be frozen to the rubber car body gaskets, or it can be frozen to the door seal it slides down into.
Chances are it’s one of the deals as opposed to the motor.

Yep. I agree.

Water soaks itself into the seals. However If water can't soak into the seals then the water cant freeze.

Soooo...

If you were to coat the seals with something that repels water....then the seals can't freeze.

Vodka works.....it won't freeze. However it won't last past a car wash. LOL

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba
We had some really cold weather yesterday about 8-10F (car interior read 2F before preheating). I had preheated the car to about 60F. There had been freezing rain too and I found my door handles stuck fast for the first time. I think part of the problem is that you are having to compress any ice stuck behind the handle with little purchase as you try to push in the "fat" short bit of the handle. Fortunately I was able to open one of the rear door handles with a bit of persuasion and then open the front door. Windows had not frozen up.

Had the same thing in central NJ this morning. Unheated garage, but car was out in the weather the previous night when we had a rainstorm. Door handles frozen, but easily breakable. Door would not close until 4 or 5 attempts. Then when I was sitting there getting myself settled, the door popped open on its own. Took 2 more close attempts to get it closed.

Update:

When I left work on Monday, I noticed my door handle was stuck open (way open). Likely the reason the door would not latch easily when I closed it. When I got out of the car that morning, I never looked back at the car.

I think based on comments of the experiences of Model 3 owners this winter that there are some serious design flaws with the Model 3's winter operation. I think that they can be solved. I think that once Tesla isolates and determines the root cause for the issues they should issue a voluntary recall to replace and repair the parts in question.

The crucial issues seem to be the charge port lock getting stuck and the windows not lowering after the car has been frozen. Tesla already identified a part change for the charge port lock. I suspect that the window motors are going to need a revision. They may also have to investigate some better materials for the window seals. I also think a heating strip around the suspect areas would help. The heating strip would be enabled during the warm-up period.