Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After spending way too much time on these forums, the consensus seems to be that most owners prefer (or wish they had) the 18" wheels.

Those that like the 19 or 20" wheels prefer a sportier ride/look.

But it's more rare to find an 18" wheel owner that wants a larger wheel than the inverse. The 18" wheels are more efficient, have two "looks" (since the caps are easily removed, revealing a more sporty wheel), resilient (fewer broken rims + flat tires), objectively quieter, and quite a bit more comfortable of a ride.

With apologies to Doug DeMuro, 19/20" wheels for weekends, 18" wheels for weekdays.

• Disagree
Reactions: Scott7
So to make sure I understand, a "sleeper" is what you got and are calling a P3D-. Did you save money by buying that over a regular Performance? Did you pay to upgrade it to the Performance?

Sleeper Performance is basically you get 0-60 acceleration of 3.2 seconds but don’t get 20” wheels, brembo brakes, carbon fiber spoiler, aluminum pedals and lowered suspension.

Performace Sleeper or P3D- is $2k more expensive than AWD. Price is $50k on white exterior, black interior and 18” aero wheels.

After spending way too much time on these forums, the consensus seems to be that most owners prefer (or wish they had) the 18" wheels.

But it's more rare to find an 18" wheel owner that wants a larger wheel than the inverse. The 18" wheels are more efficient, have two "looks" (since the caps are easily removed, revealing a more sporty wheel), resilient (fewer broken rims + flat tires), objectively quieter, and quite a bit more comfortable of a ride.

With apologies to Doug DeMuro, 19/20" wheels for weekends, 18" wheels for weekdays.

18” wheels are efficient and give the best ride comfort and range. They get Michelin Primacy tires.

19” have to looks but cuts on range a bit. They get Continental Tires.

20” has the best look but get bent on potholes which is a common complaint. They get Michelin Sport 4S tires but they can’t be used for winter. Also driving is a bit stiff.

FWIW..... 18” for range and 19” for looks and 20” if you have extra $$$$ and willing to take the risks.

Reactions: Msjulie and Scott7

I think most pay the $1500 for the 19's because they dislike the look of the Aero's and did not think about efficiency, ride differences, etc... Maybe Tesla purposely puts on Volt/Bolt/Prius looking rims in hopes you will hate them and pay $1500 more.
The Aero's look bad with the covers and Ok without the covers IMO.

if they had better looking rims to start as 18's, most everyone would be fine with that option.

As far as 20's those are just not practical for most but until the P3D- option you had no choice, they came with all performance models and you could not get them otherwise.

I'm one of the few who really likes the look of the Aeros. I was super excited to get the full performance power with the 18" wheels and non lowered suspension so I can drive my Tesla year round even on weekend ski trips. For the money ($49.9k), there is not a better car in the world, maybe ever IMO.

Reactions: John S. and willw64
I think most pay the $1500 for the 19's because they dislike the look of the Aero's and did not think about efficiency, ride differences, etc... Maybe Tesla purposely puts on Volt/Bolt/Prius looking rims in hopes you will hate them and pay $1500 more.
The Aero's look bad with the covers and Ok without the covers IMO.

if they had better looking rims to start as 18's, most everyone would be fine with that option.

As far as 20's those are just not practical for most but until the P3D- option you had no choice, they came with all performance models and you could not get them otherwise.

I guess I take the tire issue for granted living in Florida. Summer tires all year around. We do have some potholes here and there but nothing I can't dodge. Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge. ;)

I just think a performance variant of the car should have more aggressive stance and the 20"s help fill in the wheel wells and help the car look the part. They should be wider though IMO.

• Funny
Reactions: TJ73
I guess I take the tire issue for granted living in Florida. Summer tires all year around. We do have some potholes here and there but nothing I can't dodge. Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge. ;)

I just think a performance variant of the car should have more aggressive stance and the 20"s help fill in the wheel wells and help the car look the part. They should be wider though IMO.

What a difference in ride quality between the 18 and 19" wheels. It's 2-3db quieter too. Feels like Tesla just phoned it in on the pricier wheel option.

394F36B2-2652-4DEA-9537-FF840629F172.jpeg
D4897981-8192-4C4C-A055-BA0D9DA591D5.jpeg
A0AA8C5D-B8FB-4FF8-8B93-C2E44980EC24.jpeg
My M3P- was initially delivered as a regular LR AWD and they pushed an over the air update to give me the performance software, but it didn’t get the proper performance badging. That’s been fixed now after a service visit earlier this week. I attached the before pic and the after pics.

View attachment 439817 View attachment 439818 View attachment 439821 My M3P- was initially delivered as a regular LR AWD and they pushed an over the air update to give me the performance software, but it didn’t get the proper performance badging. That’s been fixed now after a service visit earlier this week. I attached the before pic and the after pics.
Mine was delivered as a regular LR AWD also and got the software update within 24 hours. I'd like to get the red line added to the car too but my closest service center is over 3 hours away. Does anyone know if they would send me the updated badge or would mobile service come out to install it?