Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it pretty interesting that within the same 1000-car-lot of VIN’s, they would make two models. Supposedly this is one day of production right so I would’ve thought they would make all of the same model but maybe it was a silly assumption.

That's what I was thinking. When I saw my VIN a few weeks back was in the same range as multiple people with P3D-, I thought maybe I'd have an AWD with the 980 to break the trend. But that wasn't the case.

Does anyone know how Tesla actually assigns the VIN #’s and date of manufacture?

I assumed that VIN numbers would be sequential and a higher VIN# would indicate a later production date.

I do understand that Tesla produces the cars in batches.
It appears however based on board members experiences that the VIN #s in those batches aren’t sequential.

I’ve seen postings referencing date of manufacture, “born on date info” (including time), and finished factory production date.

I find it pretty interesting that within the same 1000-car-lot of VIN’s, they would make two models. Supposedly this is one day of production right so I would’ve thought they would make all of the same model but maybe it was a silly assumption.

Does anyone know how Tesla actually assigns the VIN #’s

Randomly.

Does anyone know how Tesla actually assigns <snip> date of manufacture?

The date the car comes out of the factory.

I assumed that VIN numbers would be sequential and a higher VIN# would indicate a later production date.

Nope, VIN numbers are basically meaningless as Tesla reserves large blocks and then randomly picks numbers out to use.

Well that was lot of fun! Took the new car to the track tonight and the car did great!

The track was Bandimere Speedway just outside Denver at ~5,800 feet. My state of charge started around 82% and ended around 74% and I drove about 25 mph in mixed traffic to get there. Weather was beautiful in the high 80s low 90s for the first run and low 80s for the last run.

I had my bro in law in the passenger seat for the first run, but I was scolded by the time slip guy because I wasn’t supposed to have a passenger. It was a bit annoying since there was no info online, no packet with rules handed out, no signage anywhere about passengers, and most of all no one said anything to me about it as we both sat in the car for 30 mins waiting to line up even though we spoke to workers on many occasions as we waited and asked questions. I’ve only been to a drag strip once before on a motorcycle 20 years ago, so I definitely don’t have any real experience. Oh well I know better for next time, and hopefully this helps others figure it out if they go to the track.

1st run: 11.8 at 113mph. Track mode on, AC on, 220 pound passenger

2nd run: 11.7 at 114mph. Track mode on, AC off, no passenger. Lined up next to a Hellcat and beat it by over half a second

3rd run: 11.6 at 116mph. Track mode off, no AC, no passenger

I got better each run, and interestingly got the best time with track mode off. I was under the impression track mode was more for a road course than a drag strip, and I couldn’t real feel a difference between the 2 modes. My reaction time was definitely the best once I got the hang of it too.

Here’s some pics:

350ED77A-6667-4171-8559-AE5B26013716.jpeg
5BC867D8-4FD0-494F-A4C3-6A9505BEF117.jpeg
05D1F426-2700-422E-BC4B-488B7C212E94.jpeg
01AACEB8-0680-4D4D-B370-A28BBF2C789A.png
277F4B96-4D07-4C7C-9DB1-B5E88F82923C.png

Well that was lot of fun! Took the new car to the track tonight and the car did great!

The track was Bandimere Speedway just outside Denver at ~5,800 feet. My state of charge started around 82% and ended around 74% and I drove about 25 mph in mixed traffic to get there. Weather was beautiful in the high 80s low 90s for the first run and low 80s for the last run.

I had my bro in law in the passenger seat for the first run, but I was scolded by the time slip guy because I wasn’t supposed to have a passenger. It was a bit annoying since there was no info online, no packet with rules handed out, no signage anywhere about passengers, and most of all no one said anything to me about it as we both sat in the car for 30 mins waiting to line up even though we spoke to workers on many occasions as we waited and asked questions. I’ve only been to a drag strip once before on a motorcycle 20 years ago, so I definitely don’t have any real experience. Oh well I know better for next time, and hopefully this helps others figure it out if they go to the track.

2nd run: 11.7 at 114mph. Track mode on, AC off, no passenger. Lined up next to a Hellcat and beat it by over half a second

I got better each run, and interestingly got the best time with track mode off. I was under the impression track mode was more for a road course than a drag strip, and I couldn’t real feel a difference between the 2 modes. My reaction time was definitely the best once I got the hang of it too.
thanks so much for posting and following up, I was looking forward to hearing your story after the track day. My oh my, no track experience and runs an 11.6 his first day. Jeebus I can't wait to take delivery of my car haha.

thanks so much for posting and following up, I was looking forward to hearing your story after the track day. My oh my, no track experience and runs an 11.6 his first day. Jeebus I can't wait to take delivery of my car haha.

Haha no problem! It was surprisingly easy to drive on the track and a total riot. I don’t know how much it relates, but I have spent a lot of time on dirt bikes, street bikes, quick cars (nowhere near as fast as this car though), and off road vehicles. The Tesla is a very approachable car to drive on the track though and took a lot of the drama out of it!

Here’s some pics:

View attachment 439100 View attachment 439101 View attachment 439102 View attachment 439103 View attachment 439104

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Haha no problem! It was surprisingly easy to drive on the track and a total riot. I don’t know how much it relates, but I have spent a lot of time on dirt bikes, street bikes, quick cars (nowhere near as fast as this car though), and off road vehicles. The Tesla is a very approachable car to drive on the track though and took a lot of the drama out of it!

That is the one thing that just feels weird. Going so fast with so little drama. On one hand you can say look how technologically advanced the car is. The silent assassin. It can destroy other cars high horsepower cars like that Hellcat you lined up against. No drama and very consistent. In fact, the M3P seems to be an 11.7 sec car in the hands of well, anyone. :)

On the other hand, it reminds you that there is much more to the driving experience than just going fast. The V8 exhaust note and vibration, tire spin, banging through shifts, even the smell of burning fuel all add to the experience.

On the other hand, it reminds you that there is much more to the driving experience than just going fast. The V8 exhaust note and vibration, tire spin, banging through shifts, even the smell of burning fuel all add to the experience.
For people who like that. After 6 years of driving performance Teslas, all that drama seems silly to me and detracts from the speed experience.

A new member here. I originally ordered a regular LR AWD about 2 weeks ago, but the status hasn't changed a bit - no VIN assigned, etc. I decided to call to check the status update, but learned that they have a P3D- version available with the exact same specs with the one I ordered for an extra $2K. It was a no-brainer for me. They canceled my original order and put a new order in. The VIN starts with 429 (which was a surprise), and it's expected to be delivered in a week or so. My excitement is at a record high, atm. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 1.57.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 1.57.20 PM.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 62
A new member here. I originally ordered a regular LR AWD about 2 weeks ago, but the status hasn't changed a bit - no VIN assigned, etc. I decided to call to check the status update, but learned that they have a P3D- version available with the exact same specs with the one I ordered for an extra $2K. It was a no-brainer for me. They canceled my original order and put a new order in. The VIN starts with 429 (which was a surprise), and it's expected to be delivered in a week or so. My excitement is at a record high, atm. :)

So a 3P- with 19s? Madness! Nice find!

So then the question is do people think it's worth it to pay an extra $2,300 for:

1.) Carbon fiber spoiler.
2.) Aluminum pedals.
3.) 20" wheels with Pilot 4S.
4.) Lowered suspension.
5.) Brembo brakes.

In addition, is it maybe better to buy the 3P- with the Aeros and buy the 19s separately? The current way, you're paying $1500 + the cost of the Aeros+tires to get to the 19s, because you don't get the Aeros+19s. Decisions, decision, people!

Last edited:
Another consideration is whether the “Stealth” model will actually be available in your desired colors or wheels.

The Stealth version may truly be limited and be unavailable in the near future OR it may end up being a regular menu item selection available to everyone.

Apparently no one can tell us with any certainty either way.

I’m getting a White/White with 19 wheels because there apparently are no other White/White versions in my extended area. My plan was to get the car with 18 inch wheels but I’m accepting the 19s because I don’t know the future. The roads in the northeast aren’t the best for 20 inch wheels / tires. Remember too that you can’t use the Tesla 18s on the “Performance +” pkg because of both the hub and caliper interference.

Time will tell - but hopefully I’ll be enjoying my car while we wait for an answer.

Another consideration is whether the “Stealth” model will actually be available in your desired colors or wheels.

The Stealth version may truly be limited and be unavailable in the near future OR it may end up being a regular menu item selection available to everyone.

Apparently no one can tell us with any certainty either way.

I’m getting a White/White with 19 wheels because there apparently are no other White/White versions in my extended area. My plan was to get the car with 18 inch wheels but I’m accepting the 19s because I don’t know the future. The roads in the the northeast aren’t the best for 20 inch wheels / tires. Remember too that you can’t use the Tesla 18s on the “Performance +” pkg because of both the hub and caliper interference.

Time will tell - but hopefully I’ll be enjoying my car while we wait for an answer.

If your roads are absolutely not good enough for 20s, they're not going to be good enough for 19s, either, I'm afraid.

VIN numbers are random. First one matched to me was 433XXX and since I delayed delivery by a week, got assigned 418XXX. My car was at different center, so Tesla local store rep on the phone had to move it to my local delivery center.

Don’t go by VIN. It’s random. I see new VIN’s in 471XXX range for inventory models on Tesla’s website.

So a 3P- with 19s? Madness! Nice find!

So then the question is do people think it's worth it to pay an extra $2,300 for:

1.) Carbon fiber spoiler.
2.) Aluminum pedals.
3.) 20" wheels with Pilot 4S.
4.) Lowered suspension.
5.) Brembo brakes.

In addition, is it maybe better to buy the 3P- with the Aeros and buy the 19s separately? The current way, you're paying $1500 + the cost of the Aeros+tires to get to the 19s, because you don't get the Aeros+19s. Decisions, decision, people!

It is definitely worth it the $2,300 if you can make use of the extra braking and grip of the tires. They are not Brembo but they are much larger calipers with larger rotors front and rear. Any decent aftermarket Brembo brake kit is going to cost $3,000 or higher. The Michelin PS4 tires are very good if you doing any spirited driving and they will cost $1,200+ for a set. They will help with better braking with their increased grip and will perform much better in the corners than the Eco tires will. Off the line it won't matter thanks to AWD and traction control. The suspension is lowered less than 1/2 inch. The spoiler while subtle adds a nice touch, the pedals are $35 covers, no big deal.

For $2,300 more I think it is still a bargain and there is no mistaking which model you bought when you have the larger wheels with red brake calipers. Who knows, you may even get all $2,300 back on resale.

It is definitely worth it the $2,300 if you can make use of the extra braking and grip of the tires. They are not Brembo but they are much larger calipers with larger rotors front and rear. Any decent aftermarket Brembo brake kit is going to cost $3,000 or higher. The Michelin PS4 tires are very good if you doing any spirited driving and they will cost $1,200+ for a set. They will help with better braking with their increased grip and will perform much better in the corners than the Eco tires will. Off the line it won't matter thanks to AWD and traction control. The suspension is lowered less than 1/2 inch. The spoiler while subtle adds a nice touch, the pedals are $35 covers, no big deal.

For $2,300 more I think it is still a bargain and there is no mistaking which model you bought when you have the larger wheels with red brake calipers. Who knows, you may even get all $2,300 back on resale.

Are we sure they're not Brembos? I guess I don't know why I had the idea they were...

If your roads are absolutely not good enough for 20s, they're not going to be good enough for 19s, either, I'm afraid.

Agreed BUT I can also pick up a set of the factory 18 wheels at a reasonable cost easily from owners who want custom or bigger wheels. The factory 18s will fit the Stealth.

Remember the factory 20 tires are not suppose to be used or even stored in cold weather. That meant that even if I wanted the 20s I would have to buy new tires or new custom wheels & tires for the cold seasons. If I used the factory 20’s in the cold and someone hit me their lawyer would probably blame my use of the tires.

The factory 20’s are also much heavier than either the 19s or 18s

The 19’s are $1500 more but isn’t the Performance + pkg $5k more? $3500 difference?
(Hard to keep track of Tesla prices)

Please note that I do like the look of the 20s but there are too many issues for my particular needs.