Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posts like this make me so mad I got suckered into the tax credit and didn’t wait 6 weeks to buy :)

Glad you’re loving the car! Would you snap a pic of your rear motor?

So Tesla pissed both buyers off. AWD buyers missed the opportunity to get a P- for only $2k more and M3P buyers like me saw a $5k price drop on the P+, much more than the tax credit delta. Knowing what what we know now I would still get a M3P+ again but I would not have rushed out to get it before tax credit change. It would have saved me $2075 just to wait a couple weeks.

It is but it seems like just some existing inventory. Best to check at the stores themselves.

I'm speculating that Tesla tagged a certain amount of (inventory) AWD cars as eligible to upgrade to P3D- cars in order to test various metrics on their end. Based on the results and what it means to Tesla, we may or may not see additional P3D- offerings down the road.

Meanwhile, us existing AWD owners continue to pray to the Tesla gods to offer a paid unlock.

Reactions: Scott7 and Joey_82
Can you explain why people are taking pictures of the rear motor?

And maybe what the easiest way to take the picture is?
People are taking pictures of the rear motor plate so we can confirm the motors and inverters on the AWD and P models are the same across various build dates. This seems to be the case and leads us to believe that the AWD non-P cars could be flashed to P performance levels, if Tesla wanted to do so.

You basically have to stick your hand/phone behind the rear driveside wheel and find the motor plate. If you have the 19's or 18's with the aero covers off, you can see it if you look through the top part of the wheel.

People are taking pictures of the rear motor plate so we can confirm the motors and inverters on the AWD and P models are the same across various build dates. This seems to be the case and leads us to believe that the AWD non-P cars could be flashed to P performance levels, if Tesla wanted to do so.

You basically have to stick your hand/phone behind the rear driveside wheel and find the motor plate. If you have the 19's or 18's with the aero covers off, you can see it if you look through the top part of the wheel.

Recently I saw an article by researcher that Tesla motors can go through lot of stress without breaking compared to other manufacturers. Now that’s just one thing. They also increased ~5% power output via software.

But part numbers doesn’t always show the incremental improvements Tesla might have done with he recent AWD to P switch via software. Tesla always talks about incremental upgrades than model years.

There are so many AWD out there and for Tesla to monetize by software would be easy. But the part that’s difficult is to ascertain for anyone and even Tesla is that - Will every car sold previously perform to same standard.

After some confusion, and much lack of communication, I'm picking up my car at 5:00 today. I called the service center this morning and asked them to see if the performance "update" was already installed, and they verified it's there.

Unfortunately the Homelink add-on I purchased shortly after ordering the car has not been send to them yet, so looks like I'll have to bring it back sometime soon. I can live with that.

I'm walking in there with a backpack full of accessories (wireless charging pad, hard drive, console organizer).:)

So excited!

Reactions: jvmoore1
Congratulations - I’m picking up mine next week and fully understand your excitement.

Could you share which accessories you selected (private msg - if that’s more appropriate).

I’m also looking at wireless chargers, etc.

I had a white/white P3D+ on order since July 20th. Today I texted my delivery advisor on a whim just to see if by some chance they had any P3D- in white/white. Turns out there was one white/white P3D- close by, and I've already been matched to the vehicle! Soooo glad I texted him to check. The P3D- is a steal imo at just 50K, and actually more desirable than the P3D+ considering the 20-inch wheels are a money pit with the loss of range and potholes around here. Plus it gives me more flexibility for winter tires and an extra set of wheels. I also prefer how low-key it is, albeit there is the Dual Motor red underline badge. Most people won't know, but those who know, know. ;) I'm hyped. Hopefully everyone here gets theirs if desired.

Reactions: Rexarm and jvmoore1
Picked up mine today. No track mode. Anyone else run into this?

It is normal - you probably don’t have the red underline on the screen either (press the T logo on the screen). So you just have an AWD right now. You need to have the Performance model update pushed to you.

If you can, take a picture of the plate on the rear motor! Above and behind the left rear tire.

It is normal - you probably don’t have the red underline on the screen either (press the T logo on the screen). So you just have an AWD right now. You need to have the Performance model update pushed to you.

If you can, take a picture of the plate on the rear motor! Above and behind the left rear tire.

I do have the red underline on the screen and it shows it as a performance version in the software. Track mode is greyed out.

You have to be in Park to enable track mode. If it is on the screen at all, you have it.

I'm in park. It's on the screen. Greyed out.
15641623681303156912963451231802.jpg

I'm in park. It's on the screen. Greyed out. View attachment 434447

Hmm. Not sure what to say. I am fairly sure it does not show up at all on vehicles that don’t have it...someone would have to confirm that...

What software version (should not matter though)?

You could try a reboot (press both scroll wheels for a while). Not sure what else to suggest.

I think if someone else can chime in who has an AWD to confirm they don’t even see the Track Mode option, then you have nothing to worry about - it’ll probably sort itself out by the time you need it.

Not really sure what is up though.