Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It always was a 4 second car - I think the change made the car on Tesla’s site go from 4.5 to 4.4. I still believe the older AWDs with 980 motors are capable of times in the 3s.

The AWD does 4.0 flat when tested the same way they test the P (Tesla deceptively measures Ps differently from all their other cars to make the Ps look better) though a couple of owners have gotten very high 3s (like 3.96 or something)

FWIW I've yet to see any evidence the 990 motor makes any difference to running those times but I'm unsure if anyone has actually checked or not.

The AWD does 4.0 flat when tested the same way they test the P (Tesla deceptively measures Ps differently from all their other cars to make the Ps look better) though a couple of owners have gotten very high 3s (like 3.96 or something)

FWIW I've yet to see any evidence the 990 motor makes any difference to running those times but I'm unsure if anyone has actually checked or not.

It's something like an average power of 170kW to get to 60mph in 4.0s vs. an average power of 220kW to get there in 3.1s. So that is 77% of the average power required in the P3D. After accounting for whatever contribution the front motor makes, it's very likely that the requirement to maintain that 4 second time is less than the ratio 630A/840A (75%). (The amps determine the torque, not the power directly, obviously, but you can still use this as a proxy without the exact numbers - would be better to compare the acceleration (which is constant) from 5-45mph to get an idea of the requirements...but I don't want dig through posts here to look it up.)

Anyway, so it seems very likely that with the (speculative) 630A peak current "LC" motor, it would still be plenty to maintain the 4 second time. If the 990 motor has the 630A inverter, it should be enough for the AWD to meet the published performance numbers. Data would be good of course.

• Informative
Reactions: Joey_82
It's something like an average power of 170kW to get to 60mph in 4.0s vs. an average power of 220kW to get there in 3.1s. So that is 77% of the average power required in the P3D. After accounting for whatever contribution the front motor makes, it's very likely that the requirement to maintain that 4 second time is less than the ratio 630A/840A (75%). (The amps determine the torque, not the power directly, obviously, but you can still use this as a proxy without the exact numbers - would be better to compare the acceleration (which is constant) from 5-45mph to get an idea of the requirements...but I don't want dig through posts here to look it up.)

Anyway, so it seems very likely that with the (speculative) 630A peak current "LC" motor, it would still be plenty to maintain the 4 second time. If the 990 motor has the 630A inverter, it should be enough for the AWD to meet the published performance numbers. Data would be good of course.

The "published" LR AWD numbers are 4.4 seconds.

The "published" LR AWD numbers are 4.4 seconds.

In large part because they publish those using a different testing method than for P cars though.

The P isn't 3.2 using the same method they test the AWD with either it's ~3.5

(Tesla was, briefly, actually honest about this when the 3 first came out- then switched to the dishonest two-different-methods system some months later when the P magically got quicker without any actual change to anything)

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Yeah I was using the numbers not including rollout which seem to be approximately what I quoted. And the energy was calculated as the difference between 60mph and 5mph (not 0mph) since you’re going 4-5mph after about 12 inches. Not that it matters. Assumed 4200 pounds.

But did you account for heat and friction loss? :p Thanks for the analysis. :)

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
But did you account for heat and friction loss? :p Thanks for the analysis. :)

No! They're there in both cases, to some extent they scale proportionately, to some extent they don't. ;) It is pretty hand-wavy. As I said, just going off the acceleration numbers people have measured would be a more direct way to go. But...lazy.

I have no idea how much power the front motor contributes in a max acceleration run, and no way to measure it without diagnostics, so it's hard to actually be definitive, anyway.

I guess we could do the same analysis with the SR+ and see whether it could "get away with" the 990 motor. Since no one is posting recent pictures of those.... :( (Though it seems likely it has an 980 motor based on the pictures from earlier this year.)

Reactions: jebinc
In large part because they publish those using a different testing method than for P cars though.

The P isn't 3.2 using the same method they test the AWD with either it's ~3.5

(Tesla was, briefly, actually honest about this when the 3 first came out- then switched to the dishonest two-different-methods system some months later when the P magically got quicker without any actual change to anything)

Didn’t the P now magically go to 310 miles range where previously it was 285 miles IIRC. Craziness to even make sense out of it.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Any indications these stealth models are going away? My hope is to be able to buy one but I'm still stressed it will only be a short term item vs an off menu request item.

If you don’t need the car, and need to save for it as you mentioned previously, and you don’t drive enormous numbers of miles, just wait. Teslas are likely to get cheaper and higher performance over time.

You’ll save money by waiting and things will almost certainly get better over time.