Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Who switched from a (true) sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it is a valid question in the sense that discussing things with someone requires to know their understanding of the product.

Tesla’s has a long way to go with production. Their interior design and material choices can also be improved upon.

I want real leather and a leather dash and leather door panels. Aluminum switches/dials. Loaded with carbon fiber but I don’t think I’d pay for them in this car though.

Most entry level luxury cars have the same soft touch plastic dash. Hard plastic lower doors. But comparing the interior to a sports car the Tesla is pretty decent at the price point.

This thread was about swapping from a sports car. So interior being average is okay. The interior and storage is the last thing I look at in a sports car.

With my driving style.
Power/accelerations is good
Brakes fade even on fast canyons.
A lot of Weight transfer in turns but exit grip is good.

Capable car. But lacks wheel and chassis feed back. A good all in one solution if one can only have 1 car.

Good feedback. I think the biggest gripe I had with my M3P was that there just wasn't enough differentiation from the lower trims. I understand Tesla has limited ability to right now to create lot of options, colors, etc. but at the $58k price point I think there should be more than just a wheel/tire upgrade and bigger brakes and rotors. From a performance perspective you only get a faster 0-60mph time and the car may actually be slower than the LR AWD after 60mph due to the heavier wheels.

There really should be LR RWD Performance model. Save the weigh of the front motor, put some sporty front seats with proper bolstering, 19" wheels with 275 tires, track mode, sport mode, add a HUD, relax the nannies, ditch the glass roof and add a few cool colors. Price it at $50k.

Reactions: dfwatt
Good feedback. I think the biggest gripe I had with my M3P was that there just wasn't enough differentiation from the lower trims. I understand Tesla has limited ability to right now to create lot of options, colors, etc. but at the $58k price point I think there should be more than just a wheel/tire upgrade and bigger brakes and rotors. From a performance perspective you only get a faster 0-60mph time and the car may actually be slower than the LR AWD after 60mph due to the heavier wheels.

There really should be LR RWD Performance model. Save the weigh of the front motor, put some sporty front seats with proper bolstering, 19" wheels with 275 tires, track mode, sport mode, add a HUD, relax the nannies, ditch the glass roof and add a few cool colors. Price it at $50k.

Dont forget the poorly fitted Carbon fiber mini spoiler!.

The funny thing with marketing, I would have gotten the fastest 3 on paper, some would have just bought the top tier regardless of the performance specs...
hard to guess what would sell in numbers..... The SR+ is backed logged for a while now.

Dont forget the poorly fitted Carbon fiber mini spoiler!.

The funny thing with marketing, I would have gotten the fastest 3 on paper, some would have just bought the top tier regardless of the performance specs...
hard to guess what would sell in numbers..... The SR+ is backed logged for a while now.
Yeah, I sold the M3P but still have the SR+. I still feel the SR+ is the better driving car. It handles much better, turns direction quicker, even with the Primacy tires, lol. It handles more like a mid-engine car without that drive unit up front. I also replaced the tires with the Pilot Sport All Season tires and it handles even better.

The M3P was more about the 0-60mph sprints but other than that the SR+ is more fun to drive. They should have never killed off the LR AWD.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I recently sold my 2021 BMW M2 Competition and ordered a M3P. Have yet to receive the M3P which is slated to be delivered between Nov 22 - Dec 20.

The M2 Comp was a 6 spd manual. I loved the car but could not stomach the gas as much as I thought I wanted to. I was spending about $20.00/day in gas for my commute, which is only 18 miles one way. Also, for the money, not enough power. Enter Tesla M3P. Faster 0-60, no crazy gas price worries and practically drives itself. In heavy traffic I think it will be a god-send. Can't wait.

Reactions: SteveMQ and tm1v2
I recently sold my 2021 BMW M2 Competition and ordered a M3P. Have yet to receive the M3P which is slated to be delivered between Nov 22 - Dec 20.

The M2 Comp was a 6 spd manual. I loved the car but could not stomach the gas as much as I thought I wanted to. I was spending about $20.00/day in gas for my commute, which is only 18 miles one way. Also, for the money, not enough power. Enter Tesla M3P. Faster 0-60, no crazy gas price worries and practically drives itself. In heavy traffic I think it will be a god-send. Can't wait.
Sometimes raw cars can get tiring during the commute....they would have complimented each other well.

Yeah, I sold the M3P but still have the SR+. I still feel the SR+ is the better driving car. It handles much better, turns direction quicker, even with the Primacy tires, lol. It handles more like a mid-engine car without that drive unit up front. I also replaced the tires with the Pilot Sport All Season tires and it handles even better.

The M3P was more about the 0-60mph sprints but other than that the SR+ is more fun to drive. They should have never killed off the LR AWD.
Its the feeling of having the extra motor, good for traction, bad for feel/directness.....the mid engine rwd is a great platform for feel.

The problem is the LR AWD is just a technologically superior car which is easier to sell across all climates. I can see at this point why they don't over a RWD Model 3 simple to keep the lineup simple but I too love the idea of a RWD beast.

Yeah, if you drive a lot in heavy traffic then that kind of saps the fun out of the manual and the extra cost for fuel is just a waste. The M3P is great for this type of driving. If you are like me you will miss the BMW M2 though on those Sunday mornings when there is little traffic and you can rip through the gears. If you can only have one car then the M3P makes more sense. My solution is to have both, M3 SR+ for the daily work and ZL1 Camaro for the fun stuff. The M3P is great but it just doesn't offer that visceral experience you get from ICE based performance vehicles.

Its the feeling of having the extra motor, good for traction, bad for feel/directness.....the mid engine rwd is a great platform for feel.
Yep, but I find the traction control is so good with these EV motors. All that instant torque and the tires never spin, it is one of the the aspects of the M3 that surprised me the most. You can get an unbelievable RWD launch out of crappy Primacy EV tires. On one hand this is impressive and efficient and then on the other hand I find it kind of boring. There is no playful character to the car. This is why we need an enthusiast version that relaxes the nannies and gives the driver the ability to slide the rear around if they want.

The problem is the LR AWD is just a technologically superior car which is easier to sell across all climates. I can see at this point why they don't over a RWD Model 3 simple to keep the lineup simple but I too love the idea of a RWD beast.
Yeah, we just need EVs to become more mainstream. I think we will see these offers from other brands. Chevy will supposedly replace the Camaro with a 4 door EV performance sedan. Dodge plans to release a lineup of eMusclecars and I assume at some point Ford will put an EV powertrain in something that doesn't look like a crossover vehicle.

I think an EV based Miata would be a real hoot to drive but I am afraid of the weight. We need lighter batteries.

This was spooky to read, about to trade in my 2020 M2 comp next week for a M3P. Same logic too. Hopefully we made the right call!

This was spooky to read, about to trade in my 2020 M2 comp next week for a M3P. Same logic too. Hopefully we made the right call!
I think we did, but time will tell. My wife really didn't like the decision to sell the M2 Comp because it was a good date night car and we'd do some twisties at least once a weekend. We'll see how the Tesla handles it. My only concern is the brakes. I wish we could afford both. But I see one of them as...well...one of my daughter's college tuition haha.

Reactions: SteveMQ
I think we did, but time will tell. My wife really didn't like the decision to sell the M2 Comp because it was a good date night car and we'd do some twisties at least once a weekend. We'll see how the Tesla handles it. My only concern is the brakes. I wish we could afford both. But I see one of them as...well...one of my daughter's college tuition haha.

Model 3 isn’t the best in fast canyons.

Windows down twisty road driving at moderate speeds it’s great.

Blasting down canyons at 2x Speed limit for 30-50 miles. I found it’s a bit heavy and brakes are a bit lacking. But you will just drive differently. Like I find my self braking earlier and using grip to accelerate out of the corner.

Education/inheritance is not in vogue. Influencer and crypto investing is in. Spend it up LOL

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SteveMQ and bedoig
You will enjoy the M3P. It will entertain in other ways since it is so different. There is a simplicity to the M3 that is very nice. After the honeymoon wears off though it will come down to whether you really miss the more engaging and visceral experience of the BMW or if you are satisfied with the silent, no drama, effortless power of the M3P. If you are stuck in traffic and tired of the fuel costs then the M3P should make you happy.

Reactions: tm1v2 and SteveMQ
You will enjoy the M3P. It will entertain in other ways since it is so different. There is a simplicity to the M3 that is very nice. After the honeymoon wears off though it will come down to whether you really miss the more engaging and visceral experience of the BMW or if you are satisfied with the silent, no drama, effortless power of the M3P. If you are stuck in traffic and tired of the fuel costs then the M3P should make you happy.
Yeah I hear you. I commute to Boston the majority of the days and the traffic is brutal, big reason to ditch the manual and ICE. I know I’ll miss it but I’ll probably end up grabbing something even more visceral like an 80s 911 in five years or so. Can’t wait to take delivery!