Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E: Ford Mustang Inspired EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the sanity check. I have owned 3 cars in my life, a 2000 Accord, 2003 GX 470, and 2007 Tundra. None gave me any reliability issues, so I did not use dealers much. The Lexus experience was top notch when I did use them. My main concern with Tesla is that they seem extra arrogant. Ford knows it will take work to bring in folks cross shopping Tesla, so they must offer a better customer experience. Tesla seems to have the attitude of take it or leave it, we can find other folks and could care less about me. I admit I say this having not having many dealings with Tesla. Though, the lack of ANY info on my delivery does give me pause.

If I had to pick a gripe with Tesla it would be the general inability to drive the exact car you are buying beforehand. The idea that they are "all the same" is ridiculous and exacerbated by Tesla's inconsistent quality (i.e. car A is great, car b...not so much) - for evidence see, um, this website. Sure you can "reject" on delivery, but that is minimally annoying and sometimes a huge hassle. Who wants to go through the hassle of arranging financing, etc. only to have the rug pulled out....much less having done something like SELL YOUR EXISTING CAR thinking you would be getting yours the next week. Having a warranty is nice, but all new cars have that.

If I had to pick a gripe with Tesla it would be the general inability to drive the exact car you are buying beforehand. The idea that they are "all the same" is ridiculous and exacerbated by Tesla's inconsistent quality (i.e. car A is great, car b...not so much) - for evidence see, um, this website. Sure you can "reject" on delivery, but that is minimally annoying and sometimes a huge hassle. Who wants to go through the hassle of arranging financing, etc. only to have the rug pulled out....much less having done something like SELL YOUR EXISTING CAR thinking you would be getting yours the next week. Having a warranty is nice, but all new cars have that.
Tesla San Francisco had all the 3 option cars to test drive. BMW never has all their vehicle types available to test drive.

Tesla San Francisco had all the 3 option cars to test drive. BMW never has all their vehicle types available to test drive.

To be clear, I'm talking about the exact car you are buying (not a demonstrator with the same options). Just because, as an example, the demonstrator's paint is flawless that doesn't mean the car you get will be (and vice versa). I agree that it is nice to at least test drive a car with the same options, but even that can be challenging (as it is with most car makers). As an example there, back when I bought my Model S they had coil and air suspensions and cars with 19" rims vs. 21". I am very sensitive to the ride quality / sport handling balance of a car. It was a chore finding Teslas that had different combinations of these. Now add the "plus" suspension of the "P85+" cars back in the day to the mix, and well, you get the idea...

Tesla still has the first mover advantage, and also has raving fans. They will see that this new Ford is pretty much copying the success of Tesla. New car pretty much checks all the boxes that Tesla innovated. Lithium Ion batteries. large center touch screen display, multiple battery size/range/performance options, single/dual motors, stylish, fast and good handling, skate board battery placement.

First movers dont always survive. Lots of historical examples out there. Tesla is going to have to work extra hard to keep up, which includes fixing the horrendous customer service situation. As soon as folks have a choice they are going to choose other cars.

OTA updates are not all that great since they can downgrade your car and to maintain your warranty you HAVE to update. Ask all the classic Model S owners how they feel about OTA updates today. Electrify America and EVGo are very quickly expanding their CCS 150kW network enough that I would be perfectly comfortable relying on it for my few road trips. That leaves AP, which Tesla does have a very good product.

Tesla can't rest and continuing to introduce new models wont sustain them forever. They need to take care of current customers if they want to make it long term.

Reactions: svp6
First movers dont always survive. Lots of historical examples out there. Tesla is going to have to work extra hard to keep up, which includes fixing the horrendous customer service situation. As soon as folks have a choice they are going to choose other cars.

OTA updates are not all that great since they can downgrade your car and to maintain your warranty you HAVE to update. Ask all the classic Model S owners how they feel about OTA updates today. Electrify America and EVGo are very quickly expanding their CCS 150kW network enough that I would be perfectly comfortable relying on it for my few road trips. That leaves AP, which Tesla does have a very good product.

Tesla can't rest and continuing to introduce new models wont sustain them forever. They need to take care of current customers if they want to make it long term.
It is highly probable other manufacturers will also have teething issues with their early models. With Tesla, you are buying a product built with the knowledge they learned from their mistakes (early Model S batteries you are referring to). I personally wouldn’t buy any manufacturer’s first generation product. Regardless, this Ford entry will do a lot to convince their ICE lovers the virtues of electrification. This is assuming dealers will actually try to sell them. Given their reliance on service profits, I’m not convinced they will.

Something else to consider.

This is the first real attempt by Ford and first model year. In my experience we need to wait two years before the drivetrain is perfected now. So I wouldn't recommend anyone buy expecting reliability. That is for all brands and new drivetrains if you ask me. It's a real thing your the beta if you buy a first year model. I've done it and regret it myself.

Ford service may or may not be better depending on how many Ford's in the area the dealer services. My dad's newish explorer had no air-conditioning for a month.

I have no brand loyalty. If Chevy comes out with an electric Camaro that does 0-60 in 3.2 and it's not a station wagon I am all over it.

Save the cars don't buy a station wagon.

Reactions: kavyboy
First movers dont always survive. Lots of historical examples out there.

The original Hydrox cookies are obscure, although I think they are still around in some form. The copycat Oreos are doing somewhat better.

That said, it's hard for me to imagine Ford eclipsing Tesla with the Mustang Mach-E. I just hope it won't land with a complete thud. I don't think it will, but my crystal ball has steered me wrong a few times.

What's going to be much more interesting is the battle of pickup trucks.

More photos here: New Mach E pic

I didn’t realize the puck on the center screen in the leaked shot was actually a physical puck. Which is interesting.

96025B88-33F6-41B7-B98D-51A28AEFAFFB.jpeg
5382E4F6-191D-4171-BED8-D4BAD3903BAA.png
D3491575-5F3D-4542-B430-7446497A3DE2.jpeg

I think it would look better without the mustang hints. Take the logos off, get rid of the fake grill and change those tail lights to something like the ipace.

Also everyone should stop trying to rebrand old car names as electric it doesn't let the electric models stand out. They should create an electric line of cars under one name with different models.

To be clear, I'm talking about the exact car you are buying (not a demonstrator with the same options). Just because, as an example, the demonstrator's paint is flawless that doesn't mean the car you get will be (and vice versa). I agree that it is nice to at least test drive a car with the same options, but even that can be challenging (as it is with most car makers). As an example there, back when I bought my Model S they had coil and air suspensions and cars with 19" rims vs. 21". I am very sensitive to the ride quality / sport handling balance of a car. It was a chore finding Teslas that had different combinations of these. Now add the "plus" suspension of the "P85+" cars back in the day to the mix, and well, you get the idea...

Every new vehicle I have bought has been sight unseen (even 2 used ones). I had 4 Ford trucks and 3 Corvettes special ordered. I never drove a C6 or C7 before buying one. My deals are all done before I get to a dealership. Test drives are over rated.

The big difference is neither Ford or Chevy ever gave me unrealistic statements of when my car would be ready. With Corvettes they issue codes which are updated weekly that tell you exactly where in the process your order is. After your order is accepted by GM and approved for production it is pretty much clock work. My build week had nothing to do with were I lived or trying to maximize quarterly deliveries. Tesla needs to be more upfront and transparent.

• Informative
Reactions: seattlite2004