Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E: Ford Mustang Inspired EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect there are competing forces (both pro and anti) within Ford on this. It looks like Ford first serious EV attempt, but at the same time it feels confused about what it's supposed to be.

Honestly, I think it would do better if they changed the tail lights and removed the Mustang name from it; just call it the Mach-E. There is no reason for it to be in the Mustang line.

Am I the only one who thinks that Ford deserves a nod of praise in the possibility of a commendable double-entendre with their choice of name for the new Mustang? As in.....

Mach E

if it is successful and then becomes the flagship vessel for the company...

is thereupon their

Marquee brand.

(Not at all to be conflated with a Mercury name - the "Marquis". Or maybe it also is!)

I thought of this when I was listening to Idris Elba's pronunciation.

I am very impressed.
This struck me as a company putting a lot behind the idea.
This isn’t some half hearted conversion, it looks like a lot of thought went into it.

Yes, they copied a number of Tesla’s good ideas. I’d be unhappy if they didn’t take good ideas from the competition.
They also, IMO, made some improvements (360 degree camera and mini driver’s console for example).

Most importantly, Ford is now working at fighting EV myths, rather than spreading them.

I’d still rather see a mustang sports car, but frankly, SUVs are more popular than sports cars.

The reveal was definitely lackluster, but frankly, better than the Model Y reveal in many ways....definitely not at Model 3 reveal level. The biggest issue was we got so little information and the configurator isn't a lot better. Oh and what the heck is up with grabber blue not being a color choice for the GT...you know like the GT THEY ACTUALLY SHOWED! It does look considerably better than the ovoid Model Y, but the specs are less than the Model Y across the board.

I agree that in many ways it is like a bargain Jaguar i-Pace.

Yes, they copied a number of Tesla’s good ideas. I’d be unhappy if they didn’t take good ideas from the competition.

I agree, but I’m a bit disappointed that they decided to target the Model Y so specifically. There are many different categories of vehicles begging to go electric. Pitting their first serious (non-compliance) BEV precisely head-to-head against the Y may not be the best strategy.

Screenshot_20191117-192038~3.png

Screenshot_20191117-192051~3.png

Screenshot_20191117-192100~3.png

Hopefully this makes other large manufacturers ramp up their EV plans. Will be interesting to see how dealers portray this car. I remember back when I bought my Volt, the salesman tried to get me to buy a Cruze instead and that I didn't want the hassle of dealing with charging.

Just surfed the reservation page and it is MORE money than Model Y with no super charging network. $57Kish for the specs I would get on MY for about $50Kish. Premium electric brand for less than a conventional middle of the road automaker? Good luck with that proposition. Don’t care about tax credit either!
By the time this goes on sale next year there will be plenty of CCS chargers. And yes, they’ll take advantage of the fact that their cars are eligible for the $7.5k tax credit and Tesla’s aren’t when setting the retail pricing.

Reactions: SmartElectric
From CNN » Unlike most electric cars, the Mach-E even makes a distinctly audible sound because, Ford designers explained, sound is an important part of the Mustang experience. The Mach-E doesn't make a V8 burble, though. The artificially created sound, which can be heard both inside and outside the vehicle, varies to match the Mach-E's acceleration and speed, like an actual engine sound would. The Mach-E's sound resembles an amplified electric motor whir, but with a hint of a rumble.

There had better be a way to switch it off. Artificial engine noises are against my automotive religion.

From CNN » Unlike most electric cars, the Mach-E even makes a distinctly audible sound because, Ford designers explained, sound is an important part of the Mustang experience. The Mach-E doesn't make a V8 burble, though. The artificially created sound, which can be heard both inside and outside the vehicle, varies to match the Mach-E's acceleration and speed, like an actual engine sound would. The Mach-E's sound resembles an amplified electric motor whir, but with a hint of a rumble.

There had better be a way to switch it off. Artificial engine noises are against my automotive religion.
There won’t be a way to “switch it off” as it’s a US safety mandate. Although your “switch” could come in the form of wire cutters.

I agree, but I’m a bit disappointed that they decided to target the Model Y so specifically. There are many different categories of vehicles begging to go electric. Pitting their first serious (non-compliance) BEV precisely head-to-head against the Y may not be the best strategy.

So, they should have avoided the crossover segment?

10FF0767-0042-4CBF-8373-B5CA77A01714.jpeg

Looks OK. Wonder how you open the door as I don't see any handle.

They said at one point that features can be added through over the air updates. Made me feel that these over the air updates aren't free, hope for all the buyers that I am wrong about that.

Looks OK. Wonder how you open the door as I don't see any handle

There's a push-button on the B-pillar. You push it, the door pops open, you grab the edge of the door. The front doors also have a tiny black handle right on the trim at the base of the windshield, which is just something additional you could grab instead of the door edge. Rear doors don't have it.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric