Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E: Ford Mustang Inspired EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like a solid first effort.

I agree. But I don't think it's going to accomplish what they're hoping it will. Especially given that the Model Y will be available sooner.

Here's what gets me: If you consider their lowest-priced model, and compare it to my Model 3 LR RWD, it has the same size battery and the same number of motors. So...

Model 3 LR RWD: 325 miles range
Mach E with same size battery, RWD: 230 miles of range... Yes, with the same size battery.

I'd forgive that if they took a hit on range in exchange for performance, but they just didn't.

Model 3 LR RWD: 0-60 in 5.3 seconds (Some tests say 5.0)
Mach E with same size battery, RWD: 0-60 "in the low six second range" per Ford.

Okay, that too could be forgiven if it was lower-priced... but it's basically the same price.

Model 3 LR RWD: ($45,900 when it was last available as of late 2019.)
Mach E with same size battery, RWD: $43,895 MSRP, essentially $2,000 less.

So it seems Tesla still has a huge advantage in terms of getting electrons to push pavement efficiently. I don't know if it's their batteries, their motors, or both, but they clearly have the most efficient drivetrain.

A similar comparison could be made with the Model Y. In similar configurations, the Model Y RWD gets 300 miles of range, 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, and its launch price will be $48,000. (There the price difference is a little more substantial.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 30seconds
Ford Exec: "So, the Model Y will be lower priced, people can get it sooner, it has faster acceleration, longer range, better tech and more cargo room. We need to give people a reason to buy this car."

How about a $7500 tax break and a service center ½ mile from your home instead of 100+ miles?

How about a parts department that ships the actual correct part right away instead of the wrong part three weeks late?

Looks like a solid first effort. Hopefully, Ford will be successful and will make more EVs. Personally, I am not interested as I think that Tesla technology (battery, autopilot, etc.) is more advanced at this point.

Seems like a better offering than Jaguar or Audi.

Yeah, I'm particularly disappointed in Audi.

I think Ford is probably hoping to ramp the Mach E to high tens of thousands of units by 2024-5. So not a compliance vehicle, but one aimed at a solid but limited medium term success.

I like the choices Ford has made in the Mach E. But there will be problems and dumb design choices that Ford will need to sort out but Tesla is well past. IMO it is going to need to be less expensive than the Model Y to sell in true volume. The Model Y will be a more refined and advanced vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
For those saying you don't pay MSRP at dealers you are correct. If a car is popular you will pay more than MSRP.

The only issues I have with it are the name they shouldn't have used Mustang, and the charging speed.

I'm hoping Ford is planning on making them in larger numbers, I also hope they release the number of reservations they get.

I was surprised they are going to do over the air updates I figured the dealers would find a way to prevent that.

I was also surprised they didn't try to find smaller people for the test ride around the track. If I was going to be claiming it seats 5 I wouldn't want the video making it look like they are packed in like sardines.
Depends on availability and dealer. Pretty sure there will be dealers that sell at MSRP or that will offer incentives like cash, other, to get the sale. Also, EVs from Tesla and prob VW will keep Ford pricing in check. I'm actually hoping that it will be heavily discounted due to the competition.

Reactions: SmartElectric
The $7500 tax credit will be a big factor in getting people to choose this over a Y IMO.

Not sure how many will actually see a $7500 credit, given Ford is growing ever closer to the federal credit phase out (Less than 80k to go, I think). But by the time the first Mach E rolls off production for Ford, hardly anyone would be getting that $7500 tax credit, no?.

• Helpful
Not sure how many will actually see a $7500 credit, given Ford is growing ever closer to the federal credit phase out (Less than 80k to go, I think). But by the time the first Mach E rolls off production for Ford, hardly anyone would be getting that $7500 tax credit, no?.

Are they currently selling any EV volume of substance?

The $7500 tax credit will be a big factor in getting people to choose this over a Y IMO.

I'm not sure about that. If you look at the base model of both vehicles Ford owners would have to be willing to give at least 70 miles of range, performance, and premium interior options to save $12k. Moving up to the next trim level they gain more premium interior, but still give up everything else to save $5k.

And obviously, all would be giving up access to the most robust charging network currently available.

Just to point out, but the stats of the Model 3 have changed across the board since the Model Y was announced...so I think we're comparing targeted specs of the Mach-E to now conservative specs for the Model Y.

Are they currently selling any EV volume of substance?

Just the Fusion Energi right now. The Fusion will be joined this spring by the Escape PHEV, Corsair PHEV, Aviator PHEV, and Explorer PHEV.

They should be moving a couple thousand plug-ins a month pretty soon here. There might not be many credits remaining by the time the Mach-E shows up.

Just the Fusion Energi right now. The Fusion will be joined this spring by the Escape PHEV, Corsair PHEV, Aviator PHEV, and Explorer PHEV.

They should be moving a couple thousand plug-ins a month pretty soon here. There might not be many credits remaining by the time the Mach-E shows up.

My father, based on my advice, is snagging an Escape PHEV next year...so that's one more down. I think the Escape PHEV is going to be very popular for Ford.