Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made in China Model 3: Build Quality / Hardware Differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know what you mean but being fair I’ve had worse from Mercedes and VW in the past with rattles and such. Try and make the most of it and be happy you arguably have higher quality parts fitted to your car and it might be one of the last ever we get in the UK like that!

So, that’s one question answered then. The ‘21 refresh Fremont cars had the padded doors. Had in the back of my head it might have only been the older cars. Would be interesting to know how many more parts are lower grade but doubt we will strip our cars down when they’re this new!
The worst car I've ever owned for rattles was a 2002 BMW 330Ci. Bought brand new. Ride quality was terrible (Sport suspension with 18" wheels) and the rattles and squeaks coming from all four door cards were truly appalling. It was so bad I sold it after 6 months.

My M3 is completely rattle/squeak free while driving and the chassis feels very solid indeed. Can't fault it at all in that respect. With a bit more care and attention on build it would have been perfect.

The tailgate fit is still slightly wonky where it meets the bumper (actually I now think it's the bumper rather than the tailgate). The driver's front door sits slightly proud at the bottom rear edge (I've seen this on many M3s and has been reported on at least one MIC car). The bonnet is offset slightly to the right. The right front wing is hard up against the A-pillar and is slightly recessed next to the front door. It's really all a bit shoddy and I will keep asking the SC to resolve some of these issues. At first attempt they managed to improve the tailgate fit around the lights (which were sticking out on one side)

The bonnet alignment is easily fixed if you’re prepared to get stuck in yourself. I tried to get the SC to fix my alignment (I was being very fussy to be fair) and they made it worse and told me it was within spec...

Reactions: Peteski
Picked up an inventory SR+ last week, was a Fremont car based on the slightly different wltp range on Tesla’s website and the VIN number. But appears to have the new headlights which is something I hadn’t expected and was a pleasant surprise

Reactions: Llama.
Does the new MIC SR+ have the heated steering wheel or will there be an ability to upgrade this in the future via a software update?
The MIC SR+ cars don’t come with a heated steering that you can be used. It seems that new 2021 LR cars from China and Freemont do come with the heated wheel. Mine did. There is a button in the heating section.

It doesn’t look like SR+ cars come with a functioning heated wheel. There has been no information from Tesla about a software upgrade like the heated rear seats.

I’m not sure why they wouldn’t sell this to people if the SR+ had the hardware installed from factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mm2021
Does the new MIC SR+ have the heated steering wheel or will there be an ability to upgrade this in the future via a software update?
It’s apparently the same part number as on the LR, however it is not active on the SR+. There hasn’t been any information from Tesla as to whether a paid upgrade will be an option in the future. It doesn’t help that Tesla still don’t officially acknowledge it’s a feature in the LR!

Reactions: Mm2021
I wonder if anyone with an MIC LR who hasn't had the heated steering wheel (apparently like the front foglights it has affected a number of people) has had any luck getting Tesla to activate it? As said, the big difference is that it's not officially acknowledged as a feature (unlike foglights).

I wonder if anyone with an MIC LR who hasn't had the heated steering wheel (apparently like the front foglights it has affected a number of people) has had any luck getting Tesla to activate it? As said, the big difference is that it's not officially acknowledged as a feature (unlike foglights).
There are a number of people on various Facebook groups that have reported they dont have the heated steering wheel button and received OTA updates yo receive it. If Tesla kick up a fuss you can always say that a number of MIC LR cars have it, why not you..

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jez_GB and Durzel
Just a quick update on the minor difference noted on the white seats. Visited Tesla Service today and confirmed all the MIC 2021 UK Model 3's with the white interior have these black fabric panels on the seats.
Just picked up my made in China M3LR. I went for the white interior just like my 2020 Performance. With hindsight the white interior isn’t really worth it anymore. Bit disappointed with the door cards as they look odd not being white and the inside of the white seats is now black fabric instead of white. Bit cheap of Tesla IMO as they’re clearly re-using the same parts as black seat cars.

My advice is stick with the black on these Chinese made cars. Ironic seeing as I have always avoided black interiors in cars!

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Thanks for the update. It looks totally wrong to me. Bizarre!
I think the camera angle makes it look a little more extreme than it is. Basically it's just in the rub area by the centre console. Hardly visible.
1617910487781.png

• Helpful
Having previously linked a video about the MiC paint quality being better than Freemont, I’m wondering where my car actually came from! My little beasty has been at the detailer’s since Saturday for paint correction and ceramic coating. Was meant to take 3/4 days, getting the car back late on Tuesday, however this has now been pushed back to Sunday morning due to “the condition of the paintwork (Usual Tesla standards) it’s taken longer than usual.“

Losing the car for a week so soon after getting it is making me twitch.

Having previously linked a video about the MiC paint quality being better than Freemont, I’m wondering where my car actually came from! My little beasty has been at the detailer’s since Saturday for paint correction and ceramic coating. Was meant to take 3/4 days, getting the car back late on Tuesday, however this has now been pushed back to Sunday morning due to “the condition of the paintwork (Usual Tesla standards) it’s taken longer than usual.“

Losing the car for a week so soon after getting it is making me twitch.
It's all relative, and detailers are obviously very particular (if they're any good)

Before I got my M3P the guy I've used for all my cars warned me that I "wouldn't be happy" and that "they're all bad". Mine did end up being "one of the better ones", according to him, basically damning with faint praise.

I haven't seen anything that suggests that MIC cars have any less of a problem with orange peel, at the very least.

Take comfort in the fact that there is basically no Tesla that is uniquely brillant in that regard, unless it's had a full respray :D

It's all relative, and detailers are obviously very particular (if they're any good)

Before I got my M3P the guy I've used for all my cars warned me that I "wouldn't be happy" and that "they're all bad". Mine did end up being "one of the better ones", according to him, basically damning with faint praise.

I haven't seen anything that suggests that MIC cars have any less of a problem with orange peel, at the very least.

Take comfort in the fact that there is basically no Tesla that is uniquely brillant in that regard, unless it's had a full respray :D
One of the reasons for choosing White for me, it hides the paint defects better than any other colour!

I love black but would hate to see the swirls in it on a Tesla :rolleyes: