Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed cheapest model is $79 K. Even a few percent increase and it gets expensive quick.
With the refresh I would think MX will go back to $89k starting with “refresh interior” tesla wants to make more money and I’m afraid a lot of people are having misconception about “refresh”. In tesla engr./designer team “refresh” means they can use cheaper parts and sell it with the higher price tag. I think people who got 2020/2021 models won’t regret taking delivery.
Little example
Model 3 chrome cost significantly expensive than the black out ones that people are going crazy about.

Model 3 center console update was way cheaper than the original one.

Tesla marketing team doesn’t care about those parts because they know people will buy it because it’s a newer model and it’s a “refresh”

• Informative
Reactions: Lobstahz and Wilber
With the refresh I would think MX will go back to $89k starting with “refresh interior” tesla wants to make more money and I’m afraid a lot of people are having misconception about “refresh”. In tesla engr./designer team “refresh” means they can use cheaper parts and sell it with the higher price tag.

Often Smarter means Cheaper. People want stuff done Smarter. If demand is high then yes, prices will go up to appreciate the job well done.

Reactions: skybluecgreen
The price increase is already baked into new sales in the UK. The price went up £5k GBP. The price increase probably came early in UK and rest of Europe as new stock arrives each quarter by boat, so they knew that their next delivery would be after the xmas production line closure.

Roadster has already slipped a year, wonder how many years Plaid is in slip.

I wonder if the Roadster slipped in order to take advantage of the new batteries and structural revisions that Musk mentioned during Battery Day? If so, and it's starting to sound like Tesla and Panasonic may be ramping up on it, maybe everything starts to come together this year - the Roadster and the S/X along with the CyberTruck and Semi?

Here's hoping!

Reactions: wreighven
Notice has gone out to sales reps to sell all stock of Model X and S by end of January, including the DEMOs:
Tesla is liquidating Model S and Model X inventory by the end of the month as refresh nears - Electrek

All the UK Model X inventory stock have got price reductions applying (called "showroom adjustments"), which on the whole seem to take off the £5,000 price increase which took effect before Xmas.

There is also an ex-Demo car for sale, which has less than 50 miles on the clock, so would appear to be an ex showroom model, with a larger £8,490 discount applying.

Looks like this story has legs....

There’s no way -with all the forthcoming competition- that Tesla will put in a cheaper interior. There may be some “value engineering” across 3/Y/S/X sharing parts that can’t be seen, but the higher end of the line (S/X) will have a more premium feel.

If they do the horizontal dash-iPad as a means of achieving greater parts and software commonality, I'll be pretty stoked I didn't wait.

I assume if they do that, they'll also do a HUD or some-such to help differentiate. HUDs from other brands are cool and work well now that the HMI/human factors issues have mostly been worked out

I wonder if they'll finally give up on their physics-denial and put in a rain sensor and LIDAR, lol

If they do the horizontal dash-iPad as a means of achieving greater parts and software commonality, I'll be pretty stoked I didn't wait.

Funny how we see the 3/Y setup as down market. Driving both, I prefer the setup in the Y to that in the current X - so much simpler and more usable IMO. I also feel the screen behind the wheel is so old-school auto...just feels dated to have that at all, to me.
No accounting for taste, of course. But I won't be surprised if they go horizontal screen, no HUD, but a bigger, nicer display than 3/Y.

I don't care about the interior. I am waiting for a range bump.

I wonder if the Roadster slipped in order to take advantage of the new batteries and structural revisions that Musk mentioned during Battery Day? If so, and it's starting to sound like Tesla and Panasonic may be ramping up on it, maybe everything starts to come together this year - the Roadster and the S/X along with the CyberTruck and Semi?

Here's hoping!

Roadster protoype is built w/ 2 P100DL 18650 packs. So that can get the acceleration they need w/ a bunch of 18650 cells. IMO, MS Plaid will be the first car w/ 4680s. Then Cybertruck, then Roadster. IIRC, Elon already said that Roadster will follow CT. There is no pressure to get the Roadster out as there is no competition. MS Plaid will allow Tesla to match/beat the Taycan and Lucid. No driver for Roadster.

Meanwhile, there is a TON of competition right around the corner for the CT (Rivian, Hummer, Ford, Atlis, etc). Tesla needs to get that model out ASAP. Roadster will be 2022.

Funny how we see the 3/Y setup as down market. Driving both, I prefer the setup in the Y to that in the current X - so much simpler and more usable IMO. I also feel the screen behind the wheel is so old-school auto...just feels dated to have that at all, to me.
No accounting for taste, of course. But I won't be surprised if they go horizontal screen, no HUD, but a bigger, nicer display than 3/Y.
Yep, different strokes. I recently drove a friend's Y and I HATED the screen. It looks like an Uber/Lift driver that suction-cupped a tablet to the windshield. It is horrendously cheap looking and it is distracting to monitor your speed, infotainment, etc, by having to look down and to the right to see that stuff.

Agreed. I flip between the 3 and the X daily, and actually prefer having the data on the 3's widescreen display. I find the instrument panel distracting. My wife prefers the X's arrangement.

We're all different... what's that saying about pleasing some of the people some of the time?

Reactions: jb401 and msm859
I don't care about the interior. I am waiting for a range bump.

Meanwhile, there is a TON of competition right around the corner for the CT (Rivian, Hummer, Ford, Atlis, etc). Tesla needs to get that model out ASAP. Roadster will be 2022.

And S is getting Lucid and X is getting Rivian R1S, so they are getting competition this year also. If the others actually make it. But just nip them in the bud with a kick A$^%& S/X update right now.

I think the refresh is based on the person’s personal preference like the 2020/2021 models are great build. But a lot of people wants something different when you drive a $100k car vs the $50k car people needs justification to themselves that yhis is $100k car. I wouldn’t be happy to seat in a $100k car the. Move to a $50k car with almost same interior but yeah horizontal screen in inevitable for them to be “smarter”=cheaper and make more money