Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make the Model Y Performance ~Quicker~

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no evidence of this, but I strongly suspect, Tesla is limiting the power at higher speeds. If you look at the trap speeds for the MY LR, MY LR with boost, and the MYP, they are all very close. You would think the the MYP would have a significant advantage in trap speed due to its extra power but it doesn't. It is like it they juice it at lower speeds, then it pulls about the same as the MY LR with boost, from about 25 mph on up.

Even the M3P with a lot less weight, still isn't running a lot quicker than the Y's. So if you are chasing the high end exotic SUVs, you brought the wrong gun to the fight. Having said that, I've run a few Lambos on the street with my MY LR AB. Almost every time I get them at the launch and will pull them to about 45-50 mph before they go around me. I am pretty sure they aren't going to be using launch control. The faster we go, the more they pull me and that will be true of the MYP.

The Urus will trap over 120 mph. Even the M3P isn't going that fast at the end of the 1/4. You'll need at least another 50-60 HP minimum in the MYP to even get close to the Lambo after you put your P on a diet. The smaller/lighter Martian wheels are a good start.

On this, weight and traction are going to be your limiting factors. Reduce the weight (take out all the seats and trim that you can) and slightly smaller rims with track rubber and you'll go faster in a straight line. I just saw a video online about a model S plaid that was sub 9 seconds on the quarter mile, all they did was rims, rubber and reduction.