Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making homelink work In equipped model S/X/3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will homelink work with any of the new Merlin door openers without buying the extra reciever? I was thinking it would be better to replace my older door opener with a new Merlin opener with soft close (under $400 diy) than pay $150 for a extra box that needs wiring in.

Reactions: alexeiw123
It works with my Merlin Tiltmaster which is an older model they don't seem to sell anymore. It is branded as Security+2.0 compatible (which they say is their encryption rolling code technology) on the Merlin website which is what the controllers are compatible with so I suspect any Merlin that lists Security+2.0 is going to work.

It works with my Merlin Tiltmaster which is an older model they don't seem to sell anymore. It is branded as Security+2.0 compatible (which they say is their encryption rolling code technology) on the Merlin website which is what the controllers are compatible with so I suspect any Merlin that lists Security+2.0 is going to work.

Thanks for that, sounds like it should work,then. The model im looking at is one of the Merlin roller door type openers, it is listed as Security+2.0

Hi Team, I need some help.
I've got a GDO-9 Dynamo Gen2 Garage Door Opener, that wasn't compatible so I purchased a Merlin E8003 Receiver and connected it to my system. It came with Merlin+ 2.0 E945 remotes, I was able to get that to pair with the Receiver and open or close my garage door but despite holding my button down until the car times out, it does not recognise the signal.

I then purchased a Merlin+ 2.0 E950 remote to test as I confirmed someone else working with this configuration here
I'm still unable to get my car to recognise in Standard, UR or D mode a signal.

I've tried standing with the remote 2 cm from the bumper, 10 cm, 30 cm - it doesn't seem to make a difference, UR and D modes don't pair when I press the pair button on the E8003 Receiver.

Happy to provide pictures or any other detail if anyone knows what might be going on.

Hi Team, I need some help.
I've got a GDO-9 Dynamo Gen2 Garage Door Opener, that wasn't compatible so I purchased a Merlin E8003 Receiver and connected it to my system. It came with Merlin+ 2.0 E945 remotes, I was able to get that to pair with the Receiver and open or close my garage door but despite holding my button down until the car times out, it does not recognise the signal.

I then purchased a Merlin+ 2.0 E950 remote to test as I confirmed someone else working with this configuration here
I'm still unable to get my car to recognise in Standard, UR or D mode a signal.

I've tried standing with the remote 2 cm from the bumper, 10 cm, 30 cm - it doesn't seem to make a difference, UR and D modes don't pair when I press the pair button on the E8003 Receiver.

Happy to provide pictures or any other detail if anyone knows what might be going on.
Have you confirmed with tesla that you have the homelink module in your car?
Everything you describe sounds correct, which suggests a car module problem.

You can check you've got homelink installed by clicking on the Tesla T and it's there under additional vehicle information. It'll be listed under Garage Door Opener.

Try opening up the frunk and hitting the remote button in there facing forward, the homelink receiver is installed into the front bumper. Also try hitting the remote button rapidly instead of holding it down.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll check.

My car was one of the first batches of Model 3s to come to Aus where they had listed it as an included feature, I took it into the shop to get it retrofitted in the first three months of owning it (there was delay getting the parts into Aus). It's just been a slow rolling process of actually testing it and getting it working.

I can't go and open the garage door right now, but I'll try the rapid process tomorrow see if it's any different. As well as with the frunk open.

@jamesgo When you say clicking the Telsa T, do you mean on the cars interface? In the car it just gives me VIN, name, km travelled etc, I can't see an option to expand features, I have FSD purchased and I can see that in the optional features on the phone app however.

I have the HomeLink option to program locations as well so at least something is there. But yes, this has been quite frustrating.

Last edited:
@jamesgo When you say clicking the Telsa T, do you mean on the cars interface? In the car it just gives me VIN, name, km travelled etc, I can't see an option to expand features, I have FSD purchased and I can see that in the optional features on the phone app however..

Sorry.. it moved. Click on Software and under your VIN there is a Additional vehicle info link.

It'll either say homelink or not installed in there.