Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Man Down!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know how you feel. My P85D is going in next week to paint the rear bumper as well. The damage occurred while in for service but they were totally cool about it and agreed that it happened while in their possession. Stuff happens. Nice thing about the bumper is that it's not part of the frame and there won't be any permanent damage after it's fixed. It will literally be as good as new. Brooks Bros right by Tesla in Fremont is probably your best choice but the reality is ANY auto body shop can fix this and you don't need to take it to a certified Tesla body shop.

Hi Pete, you might be better off not getting your insurance company involved! CARFAX is a bad mark on any car especially high end cars....if you can, that is.

If this ever appears on carfax, you'll have a huge amount of diminished value on a car like this.

Your insurance company won't pay a DVC, but they will try to get the other insurance company to pay it since it was the other guys fault. If it was your fault and it's your insurance company, they won't pay it. But it was the other guy's fault. If his insurance company doesn't pay it, then you're best off filing a maximum small claims ($10K) against the other guy. If he loses in small claims, his insurance company will have to pay it so it's not like it will come out of his pocket.

If this ever appears on carfax, you'll have a huge amount of diminished value on a car like this.

Your insurance company won't pay a DVC, but they will try to get the other insurance company to pay it since it was the other guys fault. If it was your fault and it's your insurance company, they won't pay it. But it was the other guy's fault. If his insurance company doesn't pay it, then you're best off filing a maximum small claims ($10K) against the other guy. If he loses in small claims, his insurance company will have to pay it so it's not like it will come out of his pocket.

He has State Farm... anyone know what they are like to deal with?

And does everything go on carfax or is there a threshold? Not really trying to hide it, but I'm curious if maybe this type of thing is viewed as minor enough they don't put it on. Like someone swiping your rear bumper while parking.

And does everything go on carfax or is there a threshold? Not really trying to hide it, but I'm curious if maybe this type of thing is viewed as minor enough they don't put it on. Like someone swiping your rear bumper while parking.

I think it is a bit random and hard to know ahead. If the body shop feels like doing it... There are probably some guidelines on what is supposed to trigger it, but I think they are rather inconsistent.

I have State Farm insurance and when my vehicle (not a Tesla) was stolen, then recovered, and then needed repairs, I had no issues dealing with them. But I imagine it depends on who's at the other end of the phone and whether it's Monday, hump day, or the Friday before they are leaving on vacation. :wink:

In my experience most stuff doesn't go on carfax. My Prius has had 6 incidents(rear ended, passenger door backed into by other car, hit raccoon, pipe fell off trunk in front and smashed front bumper, spoiler ripped off by garage door, etc), over 200K miles and not one of them appears on carfax. The raccoon hit was over 3K in damage. The bumper even at Brooks Bros(Tesla's recommended choice) won't cost more than $1000 to fix.

Ask your insurance if it will be reported. Ask the body shop if they will report it. I'm guessing it won't but it could depend on the body shop and insurance. Just gotta ask.

The car I'm trading in for my new Tesla was rear-ended at high speed going down a bridge. The cost for the repair was so high they "almost" totaled it. I kind of wish they had after the blood-bath I took on trade-in value.

All this said, I think the only reason this was reported was due to the level of damage. It has "frame damage" on the report which destroys re-sale value.

Stuff like bumper damage etc. I don't think is going to show up on a report, and even if it does you can explain as a fender-bender and nothing major. Unfortunately, my situation they have to disclose prior frame damage even though the appraiser told me if it wasn't on the report he wouldn't have been able to tell due to the dealership's work to fix it. Not to mention it has a lifetime transferrable warranty for the body work ... but I digress.

Nothing to hide. People get minor damage like this repaired all the time without involving insurance. For example, if the damage is less than their deductible.

What a hassle!
Here is my 3 month old 85D. Parked in Egypt to avoid dings and she backed right into me.
No one hurt, we are lucky.
IMG_0939.jpg

wow, that situation truly is ludicrous. I think it helps that he understood your anger, many would just put the blame on someone else. Impressed with how you're handling it as well.

Make sure you stick with a Tesla certified shop, and check things such as parking sensors, etc.

Good luck, and keep us posted please.

"Make sure you stick with a Tesla certified shop, and check things such as parking sensors, etc."

Great advice. My body shop guy just returned from Fremont training. Made me feel better knowing the person I was talking to had seen what is behind the bumper of my car before and knew what to expect.

Wait a minute ... let me get this straight. A guy rear-ends your brand new Tesla and you end up taking him for a ride?

Haha yeah, that's basically what happened. It was hard not to do it. He felt really bad, and he seemed blown away by everything I told him about the car. After seeing his face when I said how fast it accelerated it just seemed like a good way to lighten the mood of the whole situation, and it did.