Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual firmware update (for new charge port)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one.
IMG-20190206-WA0010.jpg

Reactions: Galve2000
For info : "Limited charging" appear when the plug is not well inserted. It still charge, but it's limited to 11 kw (Euro spec), so if you have the basic on board charger, it's also the max the charger can handle so you see no difference.

Great read about problem solving. I am a frustrated 2018 Model 3 owner and wondering ... since I am not a software engineer, is this the car for me? I do not recall anywhere in my purchase agreement I was buying a vehicle in continuous beta test. I am getting tired of suffering the slings and arrows of being an early adopter. As Geoffrey Moore wrote in his book Crossing The Chasm, the most difficult step in making the transition in the technology adoption cycle is from early adopters to the majority (safely arriving well under the bell curve). Crossing this chasm from early adoption to majority is where most high tech ventures fail. If Elon wants to achieve success here on earth, he best figure out a solution for highly reliable connectivity on cloudy days, including Bluetooth, because I'd hate to be the first to file a Lemon Law suit.

Just a bit more input here. I have had the same sort of issues with the factory-redeploy.

I have found the consistent way to make it work properly is to get connected but before you issue the command use the MCU to turn the power off then run the command. The car will then turn on and off a few times make a bunch of clicking then after 20-30 mins come back up.

If you monitor /var/log/syslog and grep for cid-updater you can watch a lot of the progress as well as know when the firmware updates have finished. You may have to reconnect a few times when the MCU reboots. You can tell the process has ended when you stop seeing messages from the cid-updater, this is the process that performs the updates.

Sometimes after the update you have to wake the car by opening the door, you might find the MCU is blue. At this point reboot with the buttons on the steering wheel and you should be good to go. I always do this while in the car with the doors closed and you can listen and see the car doing things to indicate the process is underway.

I also find that if you do a factory-redeploy without skipping the APE then it will almost always fail with the gateway error.

NEVER EVER pull the power during a firmware update. As said here wait an hour or so in some cases for this all to work.

Great read about problem solving. I am a frustrated 2018 Model 3 owner and wondering ... since I am not a software engineer, is this the car for me? I do not recall anywhere in my purchase agreement I was buying a vehicle in continuous beta test. I am getting tired of suffering the slings and arrows of being an early adopter. As Geoffrey Moore wrote in his book Crossing The Chasm, the most difficult step in making the transition in the technology adoption cycle is from early adopters to the majority (safely arriving well under the bell curve). Crossing this chasm from early adoption to majority is where most high tech ventures fail. If Elon wants to achieve success here on earth, he best figure out a solution for highly reliable connectivity on cloudy days, including Bluetooth, because I'd hate to be the first to file a Lemon Law suit.
Sounds like you should discuss lemon law return or buyback with Tesla.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Great topic. Thank you guys.
I think I have similar issue. I have replaced my US radio to European one. Changed some parameters, restarted MCU and seems that radio is already working as expected, but I can still see some alerts:
GTW_w131_tunerVersionMismatch
GTW_w132_tunerDspVersionMismatch
GTW_w133_tunerCalVersionMismatch

Wondering if I can simply redeploy tuner fw only. Car is ready for new fw version, but I'm still postponing it. I'm afraid that new radio can cause some troubles. I can see that hardware is different, but are there any firmware differences? What if there are differences? Can it brick EU tuner while trying to upgrade it with US firmware?

So, if I want to swap out a headlamp with something from eBay... I wait on a firmware update to be staged before installing it?

The firmware is already on the car. When you do a deploy as described it will check to see what you have and install what you need or are configured for.

Although I think waiting for a software update may do the same thing...its a good question and someone with more experience with this may know. You could also call your Tesla rep and ask them to create a deployment package for you then you will be prompted for the software update as normal.

Changing your car configuration will NOT work with a simple redeploy (IE if you change your headlamp type from HID to LED and then expect it to just "work").

A redeploy only sends the existing car's configuration firmware to car components, so if you replace an existing part for the same part and just need it configured, you're good.

Changing from one part to a different part (battery packs, headlights, motors, etc) requires far more invasive work to change the gateway configuration files. Not recommended unless you know what you're doing (which I don't).

Thanks @kdday - I was thinking the simple case of replacing like for like. Reason for my headlight example is the eyebrow on both of my lights are fading. Still under warranty and will have fixed, but mileage racking up fast. Evaluating extended warranty at the moment and thinking about cases after warranty expires.

Reactions: KyleDay
Great thread here. I don't have charge port issues but I was very intrigued with the whole Ethernet cable part. I bought the suggested cable off eBay. My S85 is out of warranty now. Figured it would be a wise "tool"(cable) to have on hand. Poking around a bit I have not seen too much. Is there a doc/thread with what exactly us end users can do via this port? I'm an IT guy and being able to telnet into my car really gets my curiosity going.....

@kdday it's great that you shared information about factory-redeploy. It took me a long time asking people around to know that one. I also learned that if factory-redeploy fails, you can also try service-redeploy too. But it takes longer (perhaps enough time to put back APE cable).
I did not know about the skipping modules part. That's really helpful. Instead of skipping part, can we give it a list of modules to deploy? What else can you share about cid updater? I would appreciate anything you know.