Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual Heat Not Blowing Hot above 8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 373323 Just took this pic tonight.
These temps are just wrong.
Sorry for the blurry pic.

A side note.
In the pic you’ll see full restriction of regen.
By the time I got home, about 37 minutes later, the battery was fully warm. No little dots on the left side.
I’ve never seen the battery warm up that fast. Especially in -22 degree temps.
Tesla definitely made some software changes to battery heating recently in my opinion.

Last edited:
It certainly doesn't acclerate when it blows cold air, that is the whole point we're discussing. I do the same thing as yourself only because that is the only option (ie. AUTO and wait). The point of this topic is allowing the driver to utilize manual HIGH heat would allow a quicker cabin warm up over AUTO, a capability that many desire.

Manual high heat probably won't provide any more heating than automatic with a temperature setpoint that is substantially above the current cabin temperature. The heater is limited to 6 kW ... increasing the fan speed will only overwhelm it with cold outside air, potentially reducing the heating performance.

This observation is not a dismissal of the potential problem described in this thread.

Manual high heat probably won't provide any more heating than automatic with a temperature setpoint that is substantially above the current cabin temperature. The heater is limited to 6 kW ... increasing the fan speed will only overwhelm it with cold outside air, potentially reducing the heating performance.

This observation is not a dismissal of the potential problem described in this thread.

Assume the power output is maxed in both, I think the advantage in manual is to then direct where max heat comes from. Sitting at super charger right now. Took gloves off to load frunk, hands are freezing. I want to blast heat to my hands... I literally turned on romance mode to warm them up. Only an options while in park.

I turned on manual heat today and cranked to HI and level 10. To my surprise cold air. If I switch to auto it goes hot. I switch back and I noticed below level 9 it starts blowing hot again. Anyone else seeing this?? 2018.50

HI on Climate Control is use for de-icing/defrosting your car during very cold weather. It will force warmed air out through the door handles and charge port to assist in de-icing them.

Also the hot air on HI will more quickly de-ice the window seals so your window will naturally retract when the car door is opened. HI will only work that way if turned On using your App, will not work if set manually on your car. Says so in the Manual.

• It is possible that your charge port latch may freeze in place in extremely cold weather or icy conditions. In cases where you cannot remove or insert the charge cable, or the car is not Supercharging due to the latch being frozen in place, use your Tesla mobile app to precondition your vehicle on HI for approximately 30-45 minutes (you must use your mobile app to precondition the vehicle; setting your climate to HI using the touchscreen will not be effective). This helps thaw ice on the charge port latch so the charge cable can be removed or inserted.
Which makes total sense to work from the App only since if your car is frozen over and your door handles won't open and the window won't retract down you likely won't be sitting in your car to do this anyway because you can't get in. So pre-condition from the comfort of a warm building and then go out to a warm car.

Last edited:
Has anyone determined the reason why the heater on manual mode blows cold? Even after the v11 update my 2018 M3 still does this. Puzzling???
Check the internal temp on your app.

This happens to me every time I go surfing. The air temperature is about 52 outside, but the car is sitting in the sun. I get in the car and unless I set the heat to HI it blows cold. The reason is that the car thinks it's about 80° or higher inside when it is definitely not that hot.

Also slightly unrelated.... cold and frosty here, I turn on defrost (with phone), go out unlock M3 to grab scraper, and start scraping.
Car locks after 30 sec or so... and when doing so turns off heating system. While I'm still carving off the windshield glaciers. Perhaps I'm not
doing this right? Should I only use the keycard when it's cold? thanks - sorry for the stupidity.

Also slightly unrelated.... cold and frosty here, I turn on defrost (with phone), go out unlock M3 to grab scraper, and start scraping.
Car locks after 30 sec or so... and when doing so turns off heating system. While I'm still carving off the windshield glaciers. Perhaps I'm not
doing this right? Should I only use the keycard when it's cold? thanks - sorry for the stupidity.
If your getting the scraper out of the car, it’s resetting the heat when you close the door. Either turn it on again after you exit or hit “keep temp” (cannot recall exact wording) on the console in the car.

Thanks - I'll try that next time. Just bugs me this process is so complicated compared to an old ICE car. You slide the control up for fan, and you can select both windshield and foot area for heating at any fan speed - (or what 'zone' you need conditioned in any combination) What a concept that was...
Regards,

Thanks - I'll try that next time. Just bugs me this process is so complicated compared to an old ICE car. You slide the control up for fan, and you can select both windshield and foot area for heating at any fan speed - (or what 'zone' you need conditioned in any combination) What a concept that was...
Regards,
If you turn on conditioning via the app, it will turn off if you open the door and close it again without staying seated inside. You have to then either turn it on again via the app or turn on the keep climate on option in the MCU or using voice controls "climate keeper"

Regards,
Your ice could turn on the climate from the app? :). (And do it safely if parked inside)

Reactions: M109Rider
If you turn on conditioning via the app, it will turn off if you open the door and close it again without staying seated inside. You have to then either turn it on again via the app or turn on the keep climate on option in the MCU or using voice controls "climate keeper"

Only latching the door to the first click will also keep climate on. That’s what I do while charging.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ and brkaus