Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual Heat Not Blowing Hot above 8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turned on manual heat today and cranked to HI and level 10. To my surprise cold air. If I switch to auto it goes hot. I switch back and I noticed below level 9 it starts blowing hot again. Anyone else seeing this?? 2018.50

Yes mine does this too I notice. I had service take a look about a week ago while I had it in for something else and they couldn't find any faults or anything. If I preheat the cabin it's basically fine for the most part but if I wanna crank it up it usually just feels cold or cool with some heat coming right out of the exit of the vent if you place your hand there. I even noticed it at like 8 and 9. Its like it can't keep up or something. I'm about to update to 2018.50.6 so we'll see if that has any affect on it. I don't think it will though.

• Informative
Reactions: seantay00
Interesting. I was wondering if it was a hardware issue or software bug. Appears I’m not only one. Anyone else have this? Interestingly romance mode works perfect and blows super hot on high... I just can’t get the car to blow hot on high while driving.

Yes same with me. I’ve actually taken a IR temperature gun to measure. The hottest it got it to blow out was 40c on auto. Tuning it to manual fan on 10 and on hi was coolish air ~19c. Weird as I would expect hi and 10 fan to flow out as hot as it can.

I’ve noticed the same thing. My guess is that they have gimped the heater to increase the car’s range. Which is kind of stupid if I’m just doing my short commute and want the cabin toasty.

They seem to be making lots of winter weather “tweaks” and they all seem to suck.

I’ve noticed this also.
To be honest, I’m very glad to see others with the same problem, because it means I don’t have a hardware problem.

May be a cold weather software thing. Who knows.
It would be nice to know if everyone, or just some have this problem.
I have the latest software update, and it still has this weird issue.

Reactions: seantay00
I literally called into Tesla Support about this last night. Sometimes while driving, the air goes from hot to just warm on the side of cool. It'll go back to hot randomly.

And if I crank up the fan then it just gets cool. I'd advise everyone to bring this to Tesla's attention. This is a big quality of life flaw with the car.

Same thing happened to me since getting the 2018.50.6 update. Preheat works fine, but the vents won’t blow hot air while driving. Turning heating up to HI and 10 blows somewhat cool air. Glad to hear this seems like a software issue, hopefully they will reverse the change soon, as I would rather sacrifice some battery life than have no heat in frigid weather. In any case the decision should be left up to the user and not be locked by software.

Same here.

Was -18C driving in this morning and was trying to get warm. Have to say it was a bit of a battle.

When I turned on the re circ, thinking that the outside air too cold to heat, all my windows promptly fogged up.

Vin

If the car is drawing cold outside air, the heating element may not be able to keep up with the fan operating at high speed. Essentially the air movement is drawing all of the heat from the element and lowering its temperature. The same amount of energy is being put out by the heater, but to a much larger volume of air, which makes the air feel cooler.

If the car is drawing cold outside air, the heating element may not be able to keep up with the fan operating at high speed. Essentially the air movement is drawing all of the heat from the element and lowering its temperature. The same amount of energy is being put out by the heater, but to a much larger volume of air, which makes the air feel cooler.

Right. The 6 kW can be overwhelmed by too much cold outside air if the weather is exceptionally cold. You can actually get the cabin warmer by using a lower fan speed sometimes. I haven't been in a cold weather situation where I felt like I needed a fan of higher than about 6. Automatic seems to run it in the 5-6 range at around 0 Fahrenheit with the temperature setpoint at 68.

That said, the HVAC programming could use a few more tweaks. After an hour or two of driving with the system in automatic, the footwell vents will roast my feet while the dashboard vents blow ~ambient.

Reactions: 1375mlm
I don’t think this is a hardware limitation. Seems to have preformed fine before in similar temperatures. My guess is that they tweaked with the software to make it more efficient or something.

Any M3 owners able to confirm that they get heat on blower settings higher then 8? Looks to be a growing list of those that don't... I'm wondering if this bug impacts all current drivers. How does one report or escalate a bug. Would sure be nice with -20C weather coming this week in Chicago to have hot blowing air.

Ironically this capability works when in park with romance mode. I literally use romance mode now if I get in the car and want to warm up my hands a bit...

• Funny
Reactions: eprosenx
Any M3 owners able to confirm that they get heat on blower settings higher then 8? Looks to be a growing list of those that don't... I'm wondering if this bug impacts all current drivers. How does one report or escalate a bug. Would sure be nice with -20C weather coming this week in Chicago to have hot blowing air.

Ironically this capability works when in park with romance mode. I literally use romance mode now if I get in the car and want to warm up my hands a bit...

I have never taken my M3 out of “auto” everything mode.

Does it blow hot enough for you if you put it in full auto? Or does full auto not warm up fast enough for your liking which drives you to the manual settings?

Sounds like a bug to me... I will try to remember to test in my car tomorrow if I have time.

Reactions: UngaBunga1989
Here's a data point for everyone. I'm still on 28.1. I do NOT use the Auto setting. I normally keep the fan speed at 1, the temp at 68/69 and only blow air up on the windshield. Got in the car this morning and turned up the fan and temp (to 80). Felt warm air up until fan speed 8 and then it starting cooling down some. 9 and 10 were about the same. Temperature outside was about 57 and I only played around with the climate controls for the first 5 minutes.