Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual lane change process? Basic AP in autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Left Hand - one handed driving. Signal, check blind spot, over power auto steer and move to the lane you want (TACC stays engaged).

Right Hand - one handed driving. Signal, check blind spot, (optional, up toggle right stalk to cancel AP) and move to the lane you want (TACC stays engaged).

Two hands - Signal, check blind spot, (optional, up toggle right stalk to cancel AP) and move to the lane you want (TACC is disengaged, regen braking kicks in, apply "Electrons" as needed).

**Tapping the brakes will also disengage all AP/TACC functions and slow the car down dramatically with regen braking.

I recommend getting used to over powering the Auto Steer servo and get a feel for the amount of force required to perform emergency evasive maneuvers (instead of blaming auto steer for not allowing control of the car; cases will come up eh).

Happy Motoring.

It seems this topic is still under discussion. My experience is definitely that plain Autosteer does NOT change the lane for you, it only allows you to easily disengage autosteer with less torque than usual. However if I read the current owner's manual online, it specifically says "Auto Lane Change is available whenever Autosteer is active", thus should be part of plain AP, not FSD.

So if I read this right, the car's functionality is not matching what is described in the owner's manual, and one of those two must be corrected. Anyone has any further insights that I'm missing?

This topic is long since closed. The owners manual was written when Enhanced Autopilot was an option. The owners manual now needs to be updated.

Autosteer in basic Autopilot no longer suppers Auto Lane Change. We can hope Tesla will change it in the future, but for now, unfortunately you have to change lanes yourself

I use the lane change function with AutoSteer all the time. Just use the turn signal to indicate you want to move left or right, the car takes it from there. It often not aggressive enough to suit me so in heavy traffic, nearing an exit, I often "wrest" control and make the change myself. But in moderate traffic it is very effective.

I use the lane change function with AutoSteer all the time. Just use the turn signal to indicate you want to move left or right, the car takes it from there. It often not aggressive enough to suit me so in heavy traffic, nearing an exit, I often "wrest" control and make the change myself. But in moderate traffic it is very effective.
Did you purchase EAP or FSD? Or just have the plain Autopilot that is now included in the price?

Even simpler still... when you turn on turn signals, you can easily change lanes without the steering wheel being forced to disengage. If you do not turn on turn signals, it takes a bit more force to disengage AP to change lanes. Simple AP just keeps you in your lane only and TACC maintains speed and following distance only.

That's how I initiate a lane change with AP on. Tap the turn signal. Auto steer disengages. Turn into the desired lane. Double tap gear stalk and your back in AP mode...pretty straight forward and pretty stress free. During the free trial back in Sept of last year, it would turn into the lane automatically when you tapped the turn signal, but it wasn't smooth...I prefer the current process.

Basic Autopilot car, turn signal will not disengage auto-steer. As soon as you turn on turn-signal there is about 1 second where steering wheel become loose, where you can disengage auto-steer by turning steering wheel without jerk to change lane. (However, best practise is to turn signal wait for at least 2 seconds so that others notice you are trying to change lane. In that case this method is not good as steering will become stiff and you need to jerk the steering wheel.)

Reactions: JBT66
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Steering Mode with basic Autopilot. Does this impact the level of movement needed to overcome resistance after signaling a lane change? I would think I would need to move the wheel a bit less than if in Standard or Comfort Mode. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The easiest approach is

1. Put turn signal on (auto-steer disengages, TACC stays on)
2. Change lanes
3. re-enable auto-steer

But as evster noted, the most annoying thing is the chime for autosteer every time you turn it off and on. Really annoys me and passengers.
This is all correct... I will admit we recently rented a Hyundai which had a lane keep / cruise setting and it was (sadly) vastly superior to our Tesla's. You just put on the signal (which would deactivate lane keep) - you handled the lane change and when the car saw that you were now in a new lane it would automatically reengage lane keep. No bings. No dings. 100% intuitive. This was not a fancy Hyundai to be clear - just some run of the mill rental. Hopefully eventually Tesla improves the way this works.

Reactions: am_dmd
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Steering Mode with basic Autopilot. Does this impact the level of movement needed to overcome resistance after signaling a lane change? I would think I would need to move the wheel a bit less than if in Standard or Comfort Mode. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Once you signal the lane keep (basic auto pilot) gets deactivated. So the lane change feels normal (is normal). The bummer is you have to engage basic AP (lane keep) once you are in the new lane. The version where you jerk the wheel to overcome the AP is not really recommended. In that case the resistance isn't due to the setting of the steering it is just the force the car uses to keep the car centered in the lane. If that makes sense.

• Disagree
Reactions: JBT66
Alot of People here State That basic AP disengage Lane keep but it simply does not, i Can blink for 15 sec and STILL have to Force the car to change lanes? This is getting annoying real fast and tbh my Old Skoda did a better job… i mean come on, a Skoda…

Alot of People here State That basic AP disengage Lane keep but it simply does not, i Can blink for 15 sec and STILL have to Force the car to change lanes? This is getting annoying real fast and tbh my Old Skoda did a better job… i mean come on, a Skoda…
Sorry just re read the thread they are all wrong . Blinker does not disengage AP it just lowers the resistance.

Turning the blinker on lowers the resistance on the steering wheel to basically nothing. YOU must steer into the other lane to break AP. TACC will maintain its speed setting. You must reengage AP when you want it.