Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering getting the dual charger upgrade for my Model S and was looking to see how many locations besides my home would have 70 Amp J1772 charging. I know original Roadster locations have been upgraded to a J1772 plug but I couldn't find a map of these locations and if there are any new J1772 charging locations with 70 Amp service.

I am considering getting the dual charger upgrade for my Model S and was looking to see how many locations besides my home would have 70 Amp J1772 charging. I know original Roadster locations have been upgraded to a J1772 plug but I couldn't find a map of these locations and if there are any new J1772 charging locations with 70 Amp service.

A LOT of Roadster chargers (HPC) have NOT been converted to J1772. Don't count on it. If you have a Roadster to Model S adapter, then no worries, but don't plan on a Roadster charger being J1772. Did I say, don't count on it?

Two different routes I use have two Roadster chargers each, which I use. I have the adapter. I have never seen a J1772 70, 80 or 90 amp charger. I would wonder if they were free or pay. UNFORTUNATELY, Recargo, etc., does not differentiate amps. Just "J1772" "Level II", which can mean anything over 3.3 kW. I think either kW or amps should be part of the formula, "Level II 70 amp". But since Leafs and Volts don't use that kind of power, seems like no one cares. They are ticked because they can't use the Superchargers, I guess.

Another place to look for Tesla Roadster Chargers is: This is mostly California.

http://www.evchargernews.com/regions/ch-tesla-tesla.htm

I asked a similar question earlier and the answer wasn't very pretty. There aren't that many of them out there. I made a suggestion to recargo and plugshare that they support searching for higher current j1772s - you might do that as well. There are some groups that are pushing to get the higher current chargers out there.

@roblab, the converters seem to always be out of stock.

I have the twin chargers which helps out on trips between where I live in Southern California and San Francisco. 70 amp chargers at Rabobanks in Goleta, Santa Maria, Atascadero and Salinas. Now that the hwy 101 superchargers are scheduled to be built soon at Buellton, Paso Robles, and Ventura, I wish I had saved the $1500 and not bought the second charger. But then again, I do like to travel in Canada and I do believe all the chargers in canada are 70 amps.

BTW, Marsh Garage in San Luis Obispo is also 70 amp. It is free as are all the above. I was just at Marsh Garage and Rabobank in Atascadero. Both use J1772.

I have the twin chargers which helps out on trips between where I live in Southern California and San Francisco. 70 amp chargers at Rabobanks in Goleta, Santa Maria, Atascadero and Salinas. Now that the hwy 101 superchargers are scheduled to be built soon at Buellton, Paso Robles, and Ventura, I wish I had saved the $1500 and not bought the second charger. But then again, I do like to travel in Canada and I do believe all the chargers in canada are 70 amps.

BTW, Marsh Garage in San Luis Obispo is also 70 amp. It is free as are all the above. I was just at Marsh Garage and Rabobank in Atascadero. Both use J1772.

And the problem with free J1772 chargers? High likelihood of being occupied by a Leaf or Volt for who knows how long. I too look forward to 101 superchargers and maybe should have saved the $1500.

I have twice been to the Marsh St. Garage and only found a CC set to 30A near the exit. If someone could post a detailed description of where that 70A charger is that would be very helpful. That garage can be very busy and has free and pay sections so slowly driving around gets people upset - or has in my case. SLO seems to have a lot of electric cars. Last time I was there every station I could find was either down or in use. In Atascadero cars were clustered around to share the Rabobank charger. At this point I would not plan a trip to SLO just because the chargers were so busy I have no confidence I can get one when I need it.

Last edited:
I have twice been to the Marsh St. Garage and only found a CC set to 30A near the exit. If someone could post a detailed description of where that 70A charger is that would be very helpful. That garage can be very busy and has free and pay sections so slowly driving around gets people upset - or has in my case.

It's in the pay section, just before the exit booths. There are two EVSEs next to each other, as I recall, and only one of them is 70A. The free section also has EVSEs, but all 30A, AFAIK.

- - - Updated - - -

No one's posted Chad's map, yet:

Tesla Highway - Google Maps

I have twice been to the Marsh St. Garage and only found a CC set to 30A near the exit. If someone could post a detailed description of where that 70A charger is that would be very helpful. That garage can be very busy and has free and pay sections so slowly driving around gets people upset - or has in my case. SLO seems to have a lot of electric cars. Last time I was there every station I could find was either down or in use. In Atascadero cars were clustered around to share the Rabobank charger. At this point I would not plan a trip to SLO just because the chargers were so busy I have no confidence I can get one when I need it.

If that charger in the Marsh St. garage is taken (and BTW, I don't like that charging station b/c it's a pain to get the charging cable over the roof to the port and backing into the spot might get you a ticket in SLO), go up the street on Pacific to Lloyd's office and use the station in the back. It charges even faster than the one in the garage (I was getting 50 mph on Lloyd's and about 42 in the garage). If you're there during business hours, you can ask and get a FOB to use the charger for free. After hours and weekends, it's $2.50 an hour, but you'd pay that anyway in the garage. Happy to give Lloyd my $$ if in SLO.

I also started a thread on 70A chargers in the California forum. There is another in Davis in the 4th and G garage. I think there's another further up I-80 in the Roseville area too.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...arging-stations-in-California?highlight=davis

Last edited:
I've used at least two 90 amp J1772 charging stations. I think the're more prevalent in Canada thanks to Sun Country.

That's a bit misleading to call them "90 amp". Yes, they are on a 90 amp (probably 100 amp) circuit, but the pilot signal is 72 amps (I'll bet 70 amps). That means it supplies 70/72 amps, not 90. Since Sun Country just uses the Clipper Creek unit, the CS-90 is the Tesla Roadster unit. Yes, you may have a J1772 on there, but it was likely set up for 70 amp Roadster service. There's an issue with charging a Roadster with a pilot signal over 70 amps, hence why they were designed that way.

All the 80 amp HP(W)C units are on 100 amp circuits, etc. The more common 30/32 amp units are on 40 amp circuits. The Clipper Creek CS-50 in my garage is currently pumping 40 amps continuous on a 50 amp circuit.

That's a bit misleading to call them "90 amp". Yes, they are on a 90 amp (probably 100 amp) circuit, but the pilot signal is 72 amps

I suppose, but it's no different than how a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 outlet can only deliver 40 amps continuous or a 30 amp NEMA 14-30 can only deliver 24 amps continuous. Continuous loads, such as an EV charging circuit, have to be de-rated to 80%.

I suppose, but it's no different than how a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 outlet can only deliver 40 amps continuous or a 30 amp NEMA 14-30 can only deliver 24 amps continuous. Continuous loads, such as an EV charging circuit, have to be de-rated to 80%.

It is EXACTLY that, which is why they are generally referred to by their pilot signal as 40 amp, 30/32 amp, 24 amp, etc, not the circuit breaker size.

I can plug in my UMC into a 100 amp circuit, but I don't now call it a 100 amp EVSE... it's a max 40 amp one, adjustable down to 6 amps.

Reactions: cwerdna
I can plug in my UMC into a 100 amp circuit, but I don't now call it a 100 amp EVSE... it's a max 40 amp one, adjustable down to 6 amps.

Actually, you can't plug the UMC into a 100 amp circuit. The largest capacity adapter for the UMC is a NEMA 14-50 (50 amp circuit) and when you plug it in to that, you get 40 amps continuous. This is not just an EV thing. Any load defined as "continuous" (there are definitions in US and Canadian electrical codes) must be de-rated to 80%, even though it's still considered (in this case) a 50 amp circuit.

Here is a link to the Sun Country charger spec page where you can see the various models and ratings.

The Madonna Plaza shopping center has 4 J1772 charging stations that I never see anyone using. Clipper Creek units, I'm not sure of their amperage but they are more than likely available. Near Staples, Bed Bath & Beyond, World Market.