Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Marina del Rey CA-Delivery Location - QC wait times - Aug 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No update today. I received the update to the My Tesla page like everyone else, but no progress on scheduling the delivery. I feel like it's odd that my ISA would tell me the car is at the Marina del Rey delivery center, email me a VIN#, but not schedule a delivery. Can they really be that backed up that they cannot predict when I can take delivery??

I'm in the same boat. Was told car would arrive at MDR on 8/9 2 weeks ago. Found out later it didn't, but has left Freemont. Now they won't give me any info other than they're waiting for logistics to schedule delivery and they don't have a delivery window. ISA also mentioned that "your Model 3 still has not gone through its quality inspection" and to be patient.

I suppose I should be happy they're taking quality inspections seriously given the frequency of posts about paint issues. Perhaps MDR is stepping up their game to catch these issues before hand-off so as to avoid more people having to take their cars into service for touch ups after delivery.

I'm just a bit annoyed as I sold my prev car already as I was expecting to take delivery last weekend, and now I have no idea when I'll get it. Just hope they get it through before my CU loan pre-approval expires, or I end up spending too much on amount on Lyft rides while I'm carless.

This is the worst! Did you happen to receive an update today? When did you reserve/configure/have ISA contact you?

No update today. I received the update to the My Tesla page like everyone else, but no progress on scheduling the delivery. I feel like it's odd that my ISA would tell me the car is at the Marina del Rey delivery center, email me a VIN#, but not schedule a delivery. Can they really be that backed up that they cannot predict when I can take delivery??
Same thing with a friend of mine. Her obsidian black has “arrived” at MDR but can’t schedule an appointment for delivery. I couldn’t understand it. I was like can’t they schedule it for the next available time. Like a weekend in November if that’s what it takes?

• Helpful
Reactions: redblotch83

My Tesla page has remained unchanged throughout the process.. It is on “next steps”. It does not show my VIN number or the completed and return MVPA, nothing... I thought this was a tech company making cars but they cannot (or will not) tell me what is wrong with the car or when or if it will be available for delivery.

My Tesla page has remained unchanged throughout the process.. It is on “next steps”. It does not show my VIN number or the completed and return MVPA, nothing... I thought this was a tech company making cars but they cannot (or will not) tell me what is wrong with the car or when or if it will be available for delivery.

Yeah, that's nuts. My wife needed to stop by the Century City Westfield last night, so I hopped into the Tesla store and chatted with a sales rep there. I told him that my car was at the MDR delivery hub and that it was going through inspection. He said that typically takes a week, but they're trying to get cars through quicker because of the amount of cars they have at that location. Still don't understand why they can't attempt to schedule a delivery date. My wife and I are both on the registration, and we'll need a little bit of time to align schedules since we work on other sides of town. Would just be nice to know a bit more info than they seem to be sharing.

Was reading a thread last night and someone mentioned it took 3 weeks to reassign a VIN number , not good news for those of us that failed QC last week and need new VINs, but if it’s just logistics , makes sense it should be less than that , maybe a week to two?

Still silence. Presumably because it’s all out of the ISA’s hands at this point. Been in contact with ISA since 8/1. Just an RWD, so got to the ISA contact point pretty quickly. Before I had entered financing info I was getting calls with updates on the car every other day. Now I don’t even know if it’s made it to MDR yet as last I heard it didn’t arrive when it was supposed to. Only line I’ve gotten the past two times I’ve asked is they’re waiting on logistics / inspection and to be patient as they have hundreds of cars in this state. The post above about only 3 deliveries has me confused...

Still silence. Presumably because it’s all out of the ISA’s hands at this point. Been in contact with ISA since 8/1. Just an RWD, so got to the ISA contact point pretty quickly. Before I had entered financing info I was getting calls with updates on the car every other day. Now I don’t even know if it’s made it to MDR yet as last I heard it didn’t arrive when it was supposed to. Only line I’ve gotten the past two times I’ve asked is they’re waiting on logistics / inspection and to be patient as they have hundreds of cars in this state. The post above about only 3 deliveries has me confused...

Cars are in a holding lot in Burbank awaiting inspections before they can sent to MDR for delivery which there may be a final round of inspections there. Who knows how long these inspections are going to take. My patience is wearing very thin with tesla.

My biggest fear is after a week long wait for inspection, then requiring a new vin.

That's where I'm at. First delivery at the beginning of the month cancelled due to "car didn't make it to MDR". Second delivery cancelled due to "logistics". Third delivery (supposed to be yesterday) cancelled for not passing QC. Now in the process of getting a new VIN assigned, with no time estimates so far.

All cancellation notices were done the day before scheduled delivery date and I was told only after I pressed for confirmation. All the stories I've read of multiple cancellations, poor communication, and lack of disclosure that I assume are outliers seem to be happening. I feel like I'm normally a pretty cool customer but this process has been pretty annoying and making me feel like a crazy customer when they are the ones that set the expectations and don't follow through. I'd rather I took delivery later in September or October with a normal process rather than these multiple fake-outs. All in all, I'm sure it will all be water under the bridge eventually and I'm lucky that there's no other complicating personal circumstances but for now this is a bit aggravating.

That's where I'm at. First delivery at the beginning of the month cancelled due to "car didn't make it to MDR". Second delivery cancelled due to "logistics". Third delivery (supposed to be yesterday) cancelled for not passing QC. Now in the process of getting a new VIN assigned, with no time estimates so far.

All cancellation notices were done the day before scheduled delivery date and I was told only after I pressed for confirmation. All the stories I've read of multiple cancellations, poor communication, and lack of disclosure that I assume are outliers seem to be happening. I feel like I'm normally a pretty cool customer but this process has been pretty annoying and making me feel like a crazy customer when they are the ones that set the expectations and don't follow through. I'd rather I took delivery later in September or October with a normal process rather than these multiple fake-outs. All in all, I'm sure it will all be water under the bridge eventually and I'm lucky that there's no other complicating personal circumstances but for now this is a bit aggravating.

I'm in the same boat, only I sold my prev car, so now I'm paying for Lyft's twice a day because they couldn't deliver when they said they would. Still radio silence if I don't bug them... and if I do, I get nothing but "be patient" making me feel like I'm the asshole.

I saw my car on the freeway today! (405 south)

Attachments

• 20180820_064336-COLLAGE.jpg
    20180820_064336-COLLAGE.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 138
Nothing yet but I sent an email trying to be proactive.

Also I have a suspicion that these poor guys either don’t know wtf is going and/or are trained to just use certain stock explanations “logistics”, “QC”, “paperwork” as explanations. Each Tesla person I’ve spoken with seems flustered and don’t ever know anything past the above explanations. Honestly makes me feel bad for them.

Ok, I think I have some movement! I just got off the phone with a guy at MDR. He said that the reason there is a hold up is because they are no longer delivering cars with any issue that might need to be fixed after delivery. He listed off a few of the issues we've been hearing people are finding at their delivery inspections (paint chip here, clear coat issue there, missing plastic rivet, etc.) SO it seems like after all the post delivery issues they've been having they are now trying to preemptively fix the issues before scheduling a delivery date. Something I would have thought they would already be doing, but alas. Guess we're all along for the ride on the Tesla Mass-Delivery Experiment Experience!

Ok, I think I have some movement! I just got off the phone with a guy at MDR. He said that the reason there is a hold up is because they are no longer delivering cars with any issue that might need to be fixed after delivery. He listed off a few of the issues we've been hearing people are finding at their delivery inspections (paint chip here, clear coat issue there, missing plastic rivet, etc.) SO it seems like after all the post delivery issues they've been having they are now trying to preemptively fix the issues before scheduling a delivery date. Something I would have thought they would already be doing, but alas. Guess we're all along for the ride on the Tesla Mass-Delivery Experiment Experience!

Good policy, but it needs to be coordinated with financing timing, or they better be sure they can fix things quickly... If they can't solve these issues before loan pre-approvals expire, we'll be taking an extra hit to get our credit pulled multiple times for no reason.

Sounds positive... I called MDR about 20 minutes ago and the girl was so confused she told me my car was still at the factory and then changed it to Burbank... No update re inspection... I thanked her and asked that a Manager call me back as someone needs to tell me the straight facts re the car. They need to call Burbank and get a timeline.. They have my $$, at least most of it, and I need facts... I hope they do return my call as promised..