Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Would that put a stop to vile slander on the internet? Works both ways. Frankly, I think publishers' standards are better, TV with equal time rule that Reagan abolished. Do we see a trend here? There's a reason bad doctors and bad corporations hate good attorneys. Of course the inverse is also true.

Just as Elon attracts talented scientists and engineers, Trump with the help of Bill Bar attracts bad lawyers like flies on a turd in the hot sun.

Last edited:
Would that put a stop to vile slander on the internet? Works both ways. Frankly, I think publishers' standards are better, TV with equal time rule that Reagan abolished. Do we see a trend here? There's a reason bad doctors and bad corporations hate good attorneys. Of course the inverse is also true.

Just as Elon attracts talented scientists and engineers, Trump with the help of Bill Bar attracts bad lawyers like flies on a turd in the hot sun.

It seems conservatives and progressives share some common ground in wanting a more open, free Internet. Bernie supporters also felt that social media unfairly sided against them.

The real question is who polices Twitter and does any billionaire CEO have the authority to make these calls?

• Helpful
Reactions: Intl Professor
As a local Soviet expert it was natural for the local press to seek my opinion when the USSR was unraveling. There were some annoyances but I had no complaints. Occasionally one of my students would say, "saw you on TV last night. I would always ask, "what did I say?" And, always "I dunno."

My colleague is a well published scholar of the press and US foreign policy has demonstrated in normal times the prez in power is given much too much deference until things really get bad like Vietnam. Our local newspaper, The Sacramento Bee, asked me to write a short piece with a two hour deadline. After mission accomplished I was pissed they took out a disparaging comment where I acknowledged great debt to the International Grandmother's for Peace who provided more timely information from the streets of Moscow than the CIA. (The founder and president of the institution actually worked for the Bee circulation department with phone contact with Moscow affiliates in real time.) That criticism of the CIA couldn't be printed.

Earlier I was outraged the Bee didn't run a piece in the New York Times where the CIA told Carter two weeks in advance the precise day students would invade our Tehran Embassy. The editor just shined me off.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and AZRI11

One of the things we need is a legal definition of news and a set of legal requirements an individual or organization needs to follow to call what they do news. News organizations can have opinion pieces, but they need to be labeled as such. Legitimate news organizations make mistakes, but post retractions when they realize their errors and that should be part of the legal code for any organization calling itself news.

Anybody who wants to opine should be allowed, but they shouldn't be allowed to call it news.

It wouldn't be difficult to craft a law that would codify news legally that would allow honest actors to continue operating with few changes and would prevent bad actors from hiding propaganda and misinformation behind the label of news. Though it would not stop them from operating. Which is appropriate.

As far as non-government owned organizations, SCOTUS has ruled that they can limit the speech of people on their property. It would naturally extend to the internet even without section 230. Section 230 just eliminated people testing these waters suing internet start ups and private individuals running private forums.
First Amendment | The National Constitution Center

Klobuchar may have lost any chance to be VP because of past actions

Police arrest CNN reporter and crew live on TV

I saw the Klobachar story yesterday. I thought she was temperamentally a bad VP candidate, so no big loss, but its an example of how bad cops are allowed to stay out there even when there are signs they are dangerous.

Interesting about the reporter arrested.

China is bad, so we're going to stop giving money to WHO? Shouldn't that be WHOM?

China has been manipulating WHO for a while
How WHO Became China’s Coronavirus Accomplice

Trump does occasionally stumble into a fact, but he's an isolationist so his solution is to run away from world organizations rather than root out the corruption and fix them.

I've also seen stories coming out of China that China is not the white knight of the virus crisis that it claims. China's government has put the highest value on stability for decades. Their instincts are to cover up anything that is potentially destabilizing. They couldn't completely contain news of the virus, but they did everything they could to whitewash it. The government is putting a happy face on about the virus now, but in reality there is a second wave outbreak going on. They just figured out how to control the news about it better than the first wave.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I've also seen stories coming out of China that China is not the white knight of the virus crisis that it claims. China's government has put the highest value on stability for decades. Their instincts are to cover up anything that is potentially destabilizing. They couldn't completely contain news of the virus, but they did everything they could to whitewash it. The government is putting a happy face on about the virus now, but in reality there is a second wave outbreak going on. They just figured out how to control the news about it better than the first wave.

Wait, which country are you describing? :)

<snip>

The SpaceX failure to send Americans into space yesterday really isn’t a politics story… until it was. NYTimes (emphasis mine):

At Cape Canaveral, Trump’s Search for a Heroic Narrative Is Thwarted

For President Trump, it was a chance to rewrite the story line from tragedy to triumph. Even as the United States reached the grim milestone on Wednesday of 100,000 dead from the coronavirus pandemic, he would help mark the nation’s trailblazing return to human spaceflight from American soil.

“But Mr. Trump’s hopes of demonstrating that America was back with the verve of a rocket’s red glare were doused by lightning-filled storm clouds that forced flight controllers to scrub the long-awaited launch of the SpaceX rocket even as the president watched helplessly from the Kennedy Space Center.

“Only minutes after heralding what was to be the first launch of NASA astronauts into orbit from the United States in nearly a decade, a disappointed Mr. Trump scrapped planned remarks and made a hasty retreat to Air Force One to fly back to Washington and the misery of the health crisis.”

<snip>
The SpaceX Delay Was Not Political, Until It Was

Now folks, for the smirk for the day. I've just witnessed the President make himself look ridiculous again in a play exercise of power signifying nothing that is funnier than any skit I've seen worthy of Saturday Night Live. It began at the Rose Garden where reporters noted you could occasionally whiff a bit of tear gas. The huffer and puffer in chief said he was invoking the 1807 Insurrection act to justify sending US military to assist in putting down the rebellion rampant in the country. Toobin, of CNN noted it cannot be used without an invitation from a state but it can be used in D.C.

Then a prearranged camera shifts to a church nearby the White House. The President then manfully strides through the park with his retinue to the church where the peaceful crowd has been dispersed, where he stands holding up and then at waist height a Bible, and stands at attention for a photo op saying nothing. Then Barr and other top aids join him for this photo op for several seconds before marching back to Fort White House. How they could hold back laughter, I do not know. Must be love fur der leader who is full of hosen.

Headlines and talk show hosts tonight will show the Prez using military might to move protestors out of his way for a photo op. An über mensch at work and on the march. Boffo comedy. Thank God no lives were lost this time. But who knows what will trigger some massacre some night.

Really there is a lot of empirical evidence showing the way to really control things is for the police, and military, to join the crowds in protest. That works.

There's an old cartoon which evokes a similar response. The doctor asks why a notoriously difficult, arrogant male what he's doing in his hospital bed on his stomach with his bare ass sticking up through the sheets of his bed. He says, "The Nurse is taking my temperature." "With a daffodil?"

Now folks, for the smirk for the day. I've just witnessed the President make himself look ridiculous again in a play exercise of power signifying nothing that is funnier than any skit I've seen worthy of Saturday Night Live. It began at the Rose Garden where reporters noted you could occasionally whiff a bit of tear gas. The huffer and puffer in chief said he was invoking the 1807 Insurrection act to justify sending US military to assist in putting down the rebellion rampant in the country. Toobin, of CNN noted it cannot be used without an invitation from a state but it can be used in D.C.

Then a prearranged camera shifts to a church nearby the White House. The President then manfully strides through the park with his retinue to the church where the peaceful crowd has been dispersed, where he stands holding up and then at waist height a Bible, and stands at attention for a photo op saying nothing. Then Barr and other top aids join him for this photo op for several seconds before marching back to Fort White House. How they could hold back laughter, I do not know. Must be love fur der leader who is full of hosen.

Headlines and talk show hosts tonight will show the Prez using military might to move protestors out of his way for a photo op. An über mensch at work and on the march. Boffo comedy. Thank God no lives were lost this time. But who knows what will trigger some massacre some night.

Really there is a lot of empirical evidence showing the way to really control things is for the police, and military, to join the crowds in protest. That works.

There's an old cartoon which evokes a similar response. The doctor asks why a notoriously difficult, arrogant male what he's doing in his hospital bed on his stomach with his bare ass sticking up through the sheets of his bed. He says, "The Nurse is taking my temperature." "With a daffodil?"

@Intl Professor

I thought you would appreciate this article. Straight out of the playbook. This article was written two years ago.

The Time a President Stoked a Protest So He Could Play the ‘Law and Order’ Card

• Informative
Reactions: DragonWatch
Status
Not open for further replies.