Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mary Barra, what is going through your mind right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, lots of GM hate in here today. I hope the Bolt does very well. The arguments that is "more expensive" are a bit fascinating, as in actuality the $37,500 price INCLUDES the destination fee, which Tesla's prices (normally) do not. So the actual price differential may only be $1300 between the two cars (below the noise level when car shopping). What will be more important to folks is how much they cost after they get the options they want. I can almost guarantee you will be able to buy a fully loaded Bolt with all the creature comforts (but none of the performance stuff) for thousands less than the equivalent Model 3. That might end up appealing to a LOT of people in this price bracket. The whole "do I buy a loaded Model 3 or a base Model S for the same price" debate people here will have.

They aren't competing in the same market segment despite the fact that they are both EVs. That would be like comparing a Honda Fit to a Acura ILX. And those bubbly looking compact cars do seem to be popular with how many I see on the roads today. While I do not like the looks of the Bolt, I think it gets to looking that way to provide lots of interior room. I will bet folks who are taller might appreciate the extra headroom in a Bolt (which has more headroom than a Model S) and might be willing to overlook the exterior design for more clearance to the headliner when driving. And that upright stance will probably be easier to enter and exit, which is also a factor for some folks. Low slung sporty cars get pretty rough on the knees when you get older.

I think the two cars will exist comfortably together. I doubt Mary Barra is worried. Price-conscious buyers will choose a Bolt and luxury/performance minded buyers will pick the Tesla. There is also the known brand factor. Tesla is pretty unknown to the masses and will have to prove its reliability to them over time. Many might prefer to start with a Chevy EV since they know what they are getting, know they can get service (this is a common feeling over in the Volt forums, BTW)

Now the one who should be worried is Nissan. The Bolt and the Model 3 will probably really cannibalize Leaf sales since they haven't made it to the 200 mile threshold yet.

The arguments that is "more expensive" are a bit fascinating, as in actuality the $37,500 price INCLUDES the destination fee, which Tesla's prices (normally) do not. So the actual price differential may only be $1300 between the two cars (below the noise level when car shopping).

Price-conscious buyers will choose a Bolt and luxury/performance minded buyers will pick the Tesla.

I'm having a difficult time reconciling these two points. If someone is "price-concious" I don't think $1300 difference will be sneaking under the radar.

This ?

bolt.jpg

Or This?

Model 3.jpg

Can we stop calling the Bolt a competitor now? Same price people! And the Bolt can't go beyond a 100 mile radius from home!

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha!

She's feeling pretty smug that her affordable, 200 mile EV will hit the market 18-24 months before the 3. Yeah, no doubt the three will be a better car, but it's a great head start for them. They'll have Bolt revision 2 out before the three
The Bolt revision will be out less than 2 years after launch? Has GM ever iterated this fast?

I dont want a Bolt, because it's too ugly.
However, dont kid yourself on the Model 3 being desireable, in base format.
Most people will want/need $10K++ in options.
Plus, Bolt has the tax credit, and probably no Model 3 optioned under $50K will be delivered for 2+ years.

$50K is cheap to the Tesla demographic.
Chevy can't compete there yet, so they are doing good with their $25K (post incentive) BEV.

@rdalcanto's post comparing photos of the 3 and the Bolt makes clear that just on aesthetics the Bolt is a failure compared to the 3. The 3 is stunning, the Bolt is a conventional looking, squashed compact hatch.

In addition the Bolt has no fast charging network and no frunk. Some will be sold because it's coming to market first by at least a year and the 3 pre-orders have in two days reached a number that likely exceeds how many Tesla can build in 2018 AND 2019!. But if the 3 and the Bolt came to market simultaneously and Tesla could build as many 3's as people ordered Bolt sales would be dismal and it would die a slow death.

Which is too bad because we need more long range EVs. But in the history of EVs the Bolt will be a footnote.

Wow, lots of GM hate in here today. I hope the Bolt does very well. The arguments that is "more expensive" are a bit fascinating, as in actuality the $37,500 price INCLUDES the destination fee, which Tesla's prices (normally) do not. So the actual price differential may only be $1300 between the two cars (below the noise level when car shopping). What will be more important to folks is how much they cost after they get the options they want. I can almost guarantee you will be able to buy a fully loaded Bolt with all the creature comforts (but none of the performance stuff) for thousands less than the equivalent Model 3. That might end up appealing to a LOT of people in this price bracket. The whole "do I buy a loaded Model 3 or a base Model S for the same price" debate people here will have.

They aren't competing in the same market segment despite the fact that they are both EVs. That would be like comparing a Honda Fit to a Acura ILX. And those bubbly looking compact cars do seem to be popular with how many I see on the roads today. While I do not like the looks of the Bolt, I think it gets to looking that way to provide lots of interior room. I will bet folks who are taller might appreciate the extra headroom in a Bolt (which has more headroom than a Model S) and might be willing to overlook the exterior design for more clearance to the headliner when driving. And that upright stance will probably be easier to enter and exit, which is also a factor for some folks. Low slung sporty cars get pretty rough on the knees when you get older.

I think the two cars will exist comfortably together. I doubt Mary Barra is worried. Price-conscious buyers will choose a Bolt and luxury/performance minded buyers will pick the Tesla. There is also the known brand factor. Tesla is pretty unknown to the masses and will have to prove its reliability to them over time. Many might prefer to start with a Chevy EV since they know what they are getting, know they can get service (this is a common feeling over in the Volt forums, BTW)

Now the one who should be worried is Nissan. The Bolt and the Model 3 will probably really cannibalize Leaf sales since they haven't made it to the 200 mile threshold yet.

Quite reasonable, what are doing posting on the Internet! ;)

Mary Barra should be asking her engineers why Tesla was able to include a frunk and GM couldn't.
I wouldn't want to be the engineer who has to reply but it is a clear indictment on GM designing the old fashioned ICE way.

Maybe the value the hatch back and rear storage over the frunk.

Do you really think that the designers and engineers didn't know about the frunk and evaluated the tradeoffs of having it vs not? Really?

Do you really think that the designers and engineers didn't know about the frunk and evaluated the tradeoffs of having it vs not? Really?

There are not many gearheads on this board. They don't have any idea that "Frunk" storage is extremely old, and still in use today. Chevrolet alone made way more than 1,000,000 cars with hood storage larger than the "Frunk" design of a Tesla. Chevy made a lot of station wagons with hood storage that included a full sized spare AND more room than a Tesla AWD "Frunk".

I'm thinking all 2016 rear and mid-engine cars have "frunks"?

The idea that splitting up storage space into 2 pieces at opposite ends makes life easier is silly though.

I'd rather have 1 large space than split it into 2.

Mary Barra should be asking her engineers why Tesla was able to include a frunk and GM couldn't.
I wouldn't want to be the engineer who has to reply but it is a clear indictment on GM designing the old fashioned ICE way.

Chevrolet built WAY more than 1,000,000 cars with larger hood storage than the Tesla. So big, a full sized spare was in it AND still more luggage room than an AWD Tesla. There was a station wagon also with big storage in back and front. Probably before Elon's time so he thought it was new.

Besides, AFAIK all cars with rear or mid engines have front hood storage. When GM releases another rear engine or mid engine, you'll see it reappear like all car makers do.

You will be able to haul a larger object in the Bolt than the Model 3. Pretty sure I can haul a larger object in a Volt than the "press release" Model 3.

There are some real advantages of a Tesla over Chevrolets, but storage is not one of them. Tesla doesn't make a Heavy.

Oh, I'm sure they were aware of a frunk, but it's far more likely that GM didn't have the R&D to lead them to both a frunk and a hatch back based on what's in the front of the car.

Tesla could have chosen to have both a frunk and hatch back on their platform. They chose not to for very different reasons than GM.

Bolt and M3 are not competitors other than being EV 200+mi range. Different buyer demographic.

Bolt competes with Honda Fit. It's a subcompact FWD hatchback.

M3 competes with BMW 3, Audi A4 Quattro, MB C, Acura TLX SH-AWD, Lexus IS, etc. It's an entry level RWD or AWD luxury car.

What exactly is all that stuff in the Bolt? Tesla fits everything between the axles.