Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massive data uploads since 2017.34 2448cfc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the help!

Do I need the port behind the IC or I the 4-pin connector on the cable sufficient?

Are the firmware images checked for validity, or is it possible to brick the car with a corrupt file or a wrong version?

Are downgrades possible?
The port behind IC is most easy, the diag port needs an unlock code from Tesla, so unless you have that it's useless to you.
The firmware is checked for validity so you cannot just flash anything. There are no "wrong versions", firmware between all model X and S are 100% the same. Model3 is different, but I still don't think it'll let you to actually use that on an S and X.

They appear to be blocking downgrades (which is a sensible thing to do in a way).

Just wanted to chime in to say that this still appears to be happening with our car after drives of any significant length (more than 10 miles, I'd estimate), autopilot on or off:

9-8: 30MB down | 336MB up
9-9: 1MB down | 0.5MB up
9-10 (AM): 38MB down | 842MB up
9-10 (PM): 36MB down | 555MB up

During the week the car isn't driven very far, though I did do a 50 mile (100 mile round) trip today, so curious to see if a large upload happens tonight/tomorrow.

Just wanted to chime in to say that this still appears to be happening with our car after drives of any significant length (more than 10 miles, I'd estimate), autopilot on or off:

9-8: 30MB down | 336MB up
9-9: 1MB down | 0.5MB up
9-10 (AM): 38MB down | 842MB up
9-10 (PM): 36MB down | 555MB up

During the week the car isn't driven very far, though I did do a 50 mile (100 mile round) trip today, so curious to see if a large upload happens tonight/tomorrow.
Try to think in terms of stops - do you feel like the uploads are bigger as a function of how many stops you had on the way where you put the car in park for more than 5 minutes?

For me I noticed uploads decreased a bit and the cores further shrunk, I wonder if it's just a sign of 12V battery degrading and not able to support ape for as long to sustain the full crashdump. Though even plugged in I see a lot fewer uploads for whatever reason compared to first few days after upgrade.

Try to think in terms of stops - do you feel like the uploads are bigger as a function of how many stops you had on the way where you put the car in park for more than 5 minutes?

For me I noticed uploads decreased a bit and the cores further shrunk, I wonder if it's just a sign of 12V battery degrading and not able to support ape for as long to sustain the full crashdump. Though even plugged in I see a lot fewer uploads for whatever reason compared to first few days after upgrade.

I’m no longer seeing massive upload activity anymore after my 30 minute commutes. Odd how it seems to vary over time like that.

If you mean 12v battery "degrading" due to just overall drop, that could be, but if you mean "degrading" due to overall age, then I don't think that would apply to us since we picked up the car new on 8/14/17.

In terms of number of stops, that's a good question. Looking back at the Telsa-Fi logs, it basically seems like it's more related to overall/total length of the drive. My wife typically drives the car during the week to/from school, piano lessons, soccer practice, etc., on very local roads with no great opportunities for autopilot and distances of <5 miles at a clip. During these days, we basically don't register much data activity. But during the weekends, we've been doing small day trips to various places (usually >20 miles) and I am an autopilot junkie and will turn it on for kicks whenever possible.

So it's tough to suss out whether it's the active/engaged autopilot usage or just the longer distances traveled, but will be interesting to see if things continue similarly tonight/tomorrow or just trail off like chillaban and BigD0g suggested.

If you mean 12v battery "degrading" due to just overall drop, that could be, but if you mean "degrading" due to overall age, then I don't think that would apply to us since we picked up the car new on 8/14/17.
No, this was just reference to my car battery.

In terms of number of stops, that's a good question. Looking back at the Telsa-Fi logs, it basically seems like it's more related to overall/total length of the drive. My wife typically drives the car during the week to/from school, piano lessons, soccer practice, etc., on very local roads with no great opportunities for autopilot and distances of <5 miles at a clip. During these days, we basically don't register much data activity. But during the weekends, we've been doing small day trips to various places (usually >20 miles) and I am an autopilot junkie and will turn it on for kicks whenever possible.

So it's tough to suss out whether it's the active/engaged autopilot usage or just the longer distances traveled, but will be interesting to see if things continue similarly tonight/tomorrow or just trail off like chillaban and BigD0g suggested.
Hm, interesting, I also drive very little and I wonder if I should just schedule a "road trip" to see what happens ;)

Soo... It turns out I was wrong about just crashdumps amassing the uploads. They are a relatively small part, much bigger part is various calibrations that Tesla finally seems to be doing, the reason it seems to coincide with this release is because the trigger format was greatly expanded and as such they are now able to trigger it in a lot more circumstances, in particular on driver actions, autopilot state or combination thereof. In particular they seem to be calibrating IMU, they are interested in when you make certain adjustments when on autopilot between certain speeds.

Additionally if you drive in a particular place in California, they want a bunch of videos when you drive above certain speed and have been travelling beyond certain distance since trip start.

Then there's apparently FCW debug and a whole bunch of other stuff.

They are also really interested in when you are driving above certain speed with a steering wheel beyond certain angle, then they get main camera snapshot every minute of that and this contributes the most to data uploads for me. also starts after you drove 2km from start of trip.

Last edited:
Soo... It turns out I was wrong about just crashdumps amassing the uploads. They are a relatively small part, much bigger part is various calibrations that Tesla finally seems to be doing, the reason it seems to coincide with this release is because the trigger format was greatly expanded and as such they are now able to trigger it in a lot more circumstances, in particular on driver actions, autopilot state or combination thereof. In particular they seem to be calibrating IMU, they are interested in when you make certain adjustments when on autopilot between certain speeds.

Additionally if you drive in a particular place in California, they want a bunch of videos when you drive above certain speed and have been travelling beyond certain distance since trip start.

Then there's apparently FCW debug and a whole bunch of other stuff.

They are also really interested in when you are driving above certain speed with a steering wheel beyond certain angle, then they get main camera snapshot every minute of that and this contributes the most to data uploads for me. also starts after you drove 2km from start of trip.

So it's all focused just around CA? Now that's disappointing.... :mad:, also explains why I'm not see data uploads anywhere near what you guys are. Typically 60 - 100 kb or so.

Sorry, what is IMU?

Also, when they reset the DAS ECU, do you experts know what actually happens?
IMU is inertial measurement unit or some such, a piece of hardware to see where you are going even if no gps is available.

As for reset, who knows, they can totally wipe the filesystem, it would manifest itself as if you just got a new car - i.e. you won't have autopilot until it calibrates the camera (a decent sized trip). That's about the only permanent bit of state nowadays anyway, if there's no recalibration then I don't even know what else might they mean by it.

IMU is inertial measurement unit or some such, a piece of hardware to see where you are going even if no gps is available.

As for reset, who knows, they can totally wipe the filesystem, it would manifest itself as if you just got a new car - i.e. you won't have autopilot until it calibrates the camera (a decent sized trip). That's about the only permanent bit of state nowadays anyway, if there's no recalibration then I don't even know what else might they mean by it.
Thanks. I don't know if AP was never operational. It was working when I got the car back, but they had driven it a bit.

I haven't even had my car home 1 week yet and it has uploaded 13.6GB.

I picked my X up in Tempe, AZ and drove it back to Seattle (1700~ miles). I commute to/from downtown Seattle which is about 24 miles one way, 48 round trip.

Full data log: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

vcYM3xS.png

Wow! 4.1 GB over the past seven days (just WiFi, and I've been detached from WiFi a fair amount this week).
They don't send these bigger snapshots over cell connection, they wait until you connect to wifi and upload then. They also have an expiration date on those snapshots so if you don't connect in time, nothing would be sent and the data amassed would just be discarded eventually.

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
I haven't even had my car home 1 week yet and it has uploaded 13.6GB.

I picked my X up in Tempe, AZ and drove it back to Seattle (1700~ miles). I commute to/from downtown Seattle which is about 24 miles one way, 48 round trip.
Off topic, but doing the same in 2 weeks, picking up the MS in Fremont, CA on the 28th and driving up the coast back home to Seattle area. Any tips or tricks you discovered?