Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's crazy is they just opt you into the new HOLD mode without the driver changing any settings. They should never mess with the driving controls without the user explicitly changing it, that's messed up. I planned to turn it on right away, but for people who aren't enthusiastically following Tesla updates and reading all the release notes it could come as a surprise, and there shouldn't be surprises when it comes to the actual driving and braking controls.

Yeah mine automatically changed too. I was taking a sip of my coffee when I was backing out of my garage today and wore some of it. It is VERY different. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it in this mode, but it is definitely nice to have the option. Loving this car!

• Informative
Reactions: ISoGrumpy
When you update software the software changes. Probably not a bad idea not to assume everything is going to be the same as before the update. Meaning read the release notes and check the settings. My 1959 Willis, on the other hand, hasn't changed driving modes since 1959.

Yeah mine was on Roll prior to update and even after the update. I had to manually change it to the new Hold setting.

For someone that was already using Roll with one pedal most of the time, Hold seems more refined and effective for coming to a complete stop from under 10mph.

Reactions: PACEMD
Have you tried a full reboot? To rule out alignment you gotta take autopilot out of the equation.

driving on a flat straight road how does the car track with no autopilot. Just you driving. (This will tell you if the alignment is part of the issue). And of course is the steering wheel straight?

you don’t typically have to realign a car after a CV axle swap

Tracks left if I leave the wheel straight. I have to tilt it slightly to the right to go straight. My local SC knows about this since the last service. Next appointment is on the 25th :(

I hear the clicking too in my M3 performance when brake hold engages in "HOLD" mode. I've never heard this before when engaging brake hold with the brake pedal before the update. It sounds like a relay clicking behind the top of driver side of the dash (behind the steering wheel).

I also hear this clicking sound when autopilot is engaged and it stops the car when driving in traffic (in fact multiple clicks when it stops/slows). I never had this happen before this update.

Slightly disappointed SR+ didn't get the 170kW peak SC increase in 36.2. Hopefully that's coming real soon

I know it wasn’t in the release notes but I’ll be trying today. SR+ and got my update the other day. Going to get the car down to a pretty low SoC and hit the Linq SC if it’s open and also provide an update on it as it’s currently at reduced charging

I have always had a clicking coming from the brake and accelerator pedals with autopilot before when the car would come to a stop on its own at about 5 or less mph.

Now, ever since I started using the new HOLD feature, every time the car goes to near stop, it clicks every time. Quite annoying and I’m not sure if it’s something I can get used to.

Anyone with this problem?

I don't call the click a problem.

If that's the way it works.....then that's the way it works.

I only notice the single quiet click when I have the awesome sound system of the my P3D off. <-------when does that happen? Answer = never.

There was always a soft click before, but I'd rarely cause it.

Before this update, if I had the car in HOLD and then got out of hold with the accelerator pedal, the same click happened.

If I first pressed the brake to remove hold (make the car free-wheeling) and then pressed the accelerator, there was no click.

Now, in one-pedal mode (which I love), I hear the same click as before, but now I hear it engaging as well as disengaging. Seems to happen any time the car engages/disengages the brake, if I don't already have my foot on the brake.

In my car, it's very faint, but I can see how some people could worry if it's louder. I suspect it's not a sign of a problem, but perhaps is something that can be adjusted to keep it quiet. I'd hate to think that in five years when things are looser, it will be tap-tap-tapping in stop-and-go traffic.

I'm not sure why this is a concern to some. As said, the click is the car applying the brake for you when it comes to a halt. Before this new mode, when hold was applied after you came to a halt, you already had your foot on the brake so all the car needed to do was keep the brake pressure applied rather than apply some itself.

If you rest your left foot on the brake as you come to a halt in Stopping mode, you will feel the pedal go down slightly and a quiet click as the car goes into hold mode. That's what it is.

Yes. It's normal for me... it's the same exact clicking sound I hear when the car comes to a complete stop while in autopilot, just a slightly different tonality. Almost certain it's just the Bosch e-booster (electronic brake booster that is controllable) doing it's thing.

I enabled the new Hold mode yesterday and don't recall any clicking but I only stopped about four times. I'll see if I can detect anything tomorrow and report back.
I’m the same; no clicking sounds here with the new HOLD mode in use. (And I love this new feature, it’s something I’ve wanted since I bought my first Tesla in 2013)

Got the update yesterday and immediately tried out the new HOLD mode. Awesome! I’ve wanted this ever since buying my first Tesla in 2013. From my first Tesla test drive that year I never used CREEP, and now HOLD takes it to a new level of convenience.

Thank you Tesla for continually improving my cars over the past 6 years, for free. When I explain that to people who have never owned a Tesla, I don’t think they really grasp how amazing that is. You have to live it to get it.

Reactions: TyH2009 and jebinc
NYC parking. Just need a few open inches front and back. Usually, you don't have to push. That's for tight spaces.

Parked in a tight spot on a steep hill here in SF last night using HOLD mode, no problem!

DE1E817F-DE04-4472-9A41-D11B0A8FE0A9.jpeg