Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for that. So the only way to know what battery pack is in UK Q4 LR’s is to check the battery sticker?
I’m hoping Tesla Shanghai have started using the 82kWh pack in RHD LR’s, as they already do in Australia (RHD) and Europe.
There are five ways. This link is in German, but if you expand the section "Welchen Akku habe ich" and use google translate...

My best bet is to check Tesla-Info inventory on a regular basis and see if BT43 enroute to the UK pops up. Reading that current LR deliveries in the UK have the motor letter B is not a good sign. Europe mainland is getting the new LR motor since Q3 and now the new 5L battery since Q4.

It definitely is important to have a bright light to place on top of the aero shield to help with focusing. And a good smartphone camera is needed. But once you have that, following this guide that Fred put together, based on how I did it a while back (others may have figured out the same method independently, no idea…), really does work. If you can’t get the picture to work, video is another option.

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc
Well hot damn I finally figured it out. There is a piece of trim you have to get the entire camera lens behind or it blocks your camera view.

1104422-00-W

@eivissa this code isn't listed on your battery thread or at least I didn't see it.

unnamed (1).jpg

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Well hot damn I finally figured it out. There is a piece of trim you have to get the entire camera lens behind or it blocks your camera view.

1104422-00-W

@eivissa this code isn't listed on your battery thread or at least I didn't see it.

View attachment 726371
Well done! This P/N isnt listed because I've only bothered to list EU battery packs ;-)

The number two in bold letters...1104422-00-W marks the US battery packs.

Since US 1104422-00-T and EU 1104423-00-T are Panasonic 82,1kWh packs, yours must be one as well.

Well done! This P/N isnt listed because I've only bothered to list EU battery packs ;-)

The number two in bold letters...1104422-00-W marks the US battery packs.

Since US 1104422-00-T and EU 1104423-00-T are Panasonic 82,1kWh packs, yours must be one as well.
Per your thread here: Model 3 / Model Y - Batteriewiki [W.I.P.] it says "Panasonic 79KWH (77.8) → 1104423-00-P"

I'm assuming anything after iteration "-P" would be 82 kWh, so I wonder what signifies a "-T" from a "-W" i.e. what is the change there?

Reactions: FredMt
When you calculate the total energy capacity you should use the nominal voltage of the cell. From what I’ve found for the panna 2170, its 3.7v( there is a lot of others having 3.6 or 3.63V etc)

3.7 x 96= 355.2V ( 96 cells in series)
So your calc should be 355.2 x 221= 78.5kWh.
The number doesnt match, but thats how it shoud be done.
Backwards calc 76500/(221x96)= 3.605V.
So in this case, it seems like the nominal voltage is about 3.60V if the value CAC is per your guess.
Thanks!
I found a screenshot I made on SMT on 27 march (8 days after the delivery) and the CAC was 330 Ah. and 79,6 kWh
Now it's 321Ah, so about 3% less. The 76,5 kWh compared to 79,6 is instead it's about 4%.

There has been a load of LR added to inventory for UK, looks like confirmation atleast the first batch of Q4 cars for us will still have the old battery.
Members of one of the German forums have reported VINs and Spec Sheets, including WLTP update to 491 miles, and battery increased to 60kWh, for some SR+ models built on or after 10th October 2021.

It was mentioned that the previous week in China was a holiday, so may have allowed for some retooling.

It would be interesting to see the VINs and Gate dates for the LR inventory cars.

There has been a load of LR added to inventory for UK, looks like confirmation atleast the first batch of Q4 cars for us will still have the old battery.
That's a really good spot, tesla-info shows the battery type and its a 75kW LG Chem, picking one at random:
Manufacturing code list
Codes converted using Tesla data, inferred from previous Tesla codes or community info
Charge port, Standard cabin filter, Base AP, FSD Upgrade available, AP 3.0 Hardware, M3/Y Audio Premium, M3/Y Brakes Black, 75kwh Battery (LG), No chademo included, M3/Y Charger EU+ROW from 2020, GB Car, Right hand drive, Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive, M3/Y 2021 front console, M3/Y Exterior Light Pack , M3/Y LR Firmware, Final Assembly China, M3/Y Matrix Headlights 2021, No Homelink, Interior decor for M3, Ambient lighting, Lower Trim (China black), Model 3, Mirror (dimming) , Pearl White, M3/Y Normal chassis, Europe Region Car, M3/Y Glass Roof, Rear seats heated, Seat Black Premium Seats , Powered seat adjustment (TBC), Pay per use Supercharging, Powered Steering column , M3/Y coil suspension, T3MC, General production car, No towing package, M3/Y grey headliner, 18 Aero Wheels v2, No Wrap, Std order type, Model Iteration 2, M3/Y Standard Pedals, No M3 Spoiler, Steering wheel - heated on LR/P, Dual Motor badge (tbc), Safety kit - Black, Premium Speakers (TBC), Rear heated seats, Ambient lighting, M3/Y Exterior Light Pack , Premium connectivity, Pedestrian Warning Speaker, M3/Y Heat Pump, Powered trunk, RL32, LVB1, FD01, RD01, SWF1, PP02, VC00, LS01

US range of M3 LR up to 358 miles and SR 272 miles
Looks like it is time for a 2022 sticky…

Not too surprised by the low range of 358. (I expected about 370 miles a year ago though…). Seems like the 2022 Model 3 LR degradation threshold is going to 79kWh just like the Model Y LR. Remains to be seen if these vehicles will go a little higher on average on usable capacity (81kWh), than the 2021s do (as I have said before we have too little data on the LRs in the US to know where they typically really end up, but have a few persistent 79-80kWh reports).

272 projects to 55.3kWh which isn’t too far off from the recent SMT scans of the LFPs, but I am not sure that that is correct, since they were rated at 262 and it doesn’t make sense for such a large increase with no change. The 272 could be from a “60kWh” pack I guess (seems a little low). I’m sure someone will post here with all the actual pack details soon and then we can see how it makes sense…

I have to say it is quite a potpourri of estimates and EPA estimates that are all over the map right now, though…odd! Where does 334 come from? Just read another post - this is with 19” wheels rather than 18”, it is being marketed with 19” perhaps. So another year where wheel selection will change displayed rated range, like the 2020 Performance.

563C0491-FD6F-45D5-9CCE-29A1E1FE2906.jpeg
93C66F8E-03CE-4F97-9835-505010968178.jpeg

C91A925A-3B4D-40F6-ACCE-876F923FD3CA.jpeg
4B2BC1A2-D72A-4C86-8C98-1D542AEC5393.jpeg

Last edited:
EPA of 358 is what in WLTP, 400 miles?

That’s longer than 614km for the BT42 pack in EU?!

400 miles is proper long range, with SR+ (or rwd as it’s called now) in UK being 305 miles I don’t regard the UK LR 360 miles as very good value - not sure want to collect this year now!

Last edited:
EPA of 358 is what in WLTP, 400 miles?

That’s longer than 614km for the BT42 pack in EU?!

400 miles is proper long range, with SR+ (or rwd as it’s called now) in UK being 305 miles I don’t regard the UK LR 360 miles as very good value - not sure want to collect this year now!
I’d base decisions on the energy available, and I think I’d assume capacity loss will be similar for LFP and NCA vehicles (though we don’t know).

We don’t know the exact capacities right now, but 78-80kWh vs. 60kWh (??? - LFP) is still a pretty large difference. (30%)

It’s true that the RWD will be a lot more efficient in some circumstances but it all depends on the type of driving you do. If you do a lot of motorway driving in inclement weather the efficiency difference won’t be as large.

That being said, the SR (which has lost that name) is looking really quite attractive given its underlying excellent efficiency.

Yes I am confused by the numbers, as you say 60kwh-80kwh is a 30% increase, but 30% over 305 miles would be ~408 miles.

The "car formally known as SR" has a different motor RWD only, so maybe its down to total weight ve energy in terms of effeciency? At 305 miles I would be tempted to go SR... but they already increased the price and my LR is on a ship already... I am sure the LR price will creep up before they update the webpage - assuming the BT42 pack comes to the UK eventually.

but 30% over 305 miles would be ~408 miles.
It isn't that high because of the efficiency difference, of course. The AWD is considerably less efficient. HOWEVER, at speed, or in inclement weather, this efficiency difference will narrow because the efficiency is dominated by other factors, and the difference in range will be closer to 30% (and range will be much lower than rated for both vehicles).

New release notes: