Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! I understand how to tell once I’ve paid for it now to tell if it’s active. Question is how soon will I be able to order it once I take delivery?

IF you have not yet taken delivery of your Long Range AWD car yet, see if your SA can find you a Stealth Long Range Performance model (on 18" or 19" wheels) for the SAME $2000 spent. The Stealth Performance will give you even MORE performance than this Acceleration upgrade for the same money.

I'll pose a different theory than those saying this 2k will end up with another 2k for a second uncork down the road:

What if this 2k buys you the next bigger uncork for 'free'? Just like how autopilot gets new features after you buy it? Wouldn't that be nice? (And shut a lot of people up complaining about it not being worth it and Tesla is gouging customers? o_O)

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. I could be totally wrong, but I'm buying and if I turn out to be right, even bigger bonus :cool:

I don't see any technical barriers in why Tesla can't offer performance-on-demand: There's a toggle in the UI to let you opt-in and out of better performance at any time. That way, I can toggle that on and get <my stock 0-60 time - .5 sec> when I go to a track (or when I wanna show the <insert the make/model you despise the most here> next to me who's the boss), and toggle that off when I drive my kids to school. Tesla can charge per-day or per-trip. $10 a day is a fair price, IMHO. Heck, they can even provide multiple performance tiers/durations with different pricing. I'd pay $50 a day for sub-3s 0-60 just to experience what it feels like. :)

You can depress the accelerator 0 to 60% for free. 70% will cost you $0.10 per press, 80% will cost $0.15, and 100% acceleration will cost $0.25 per press.

If someone is still on the fence about buying the boost. I purchase a few min ago and took it for a test drive. I didn’t think it was that noticeable by a lot and it didn’t give me that nauseating feeling I felt test driving a performance model. If you’re on the fence save your money. Just my two cents as there’s not many reviews here to begin with. Stupid 980 vs 990.

If we had motor ratings I'd agree with you but we don't have those so these numbers are moot there's too many assumptions you have to make to get to Knowing anything here.

One interesting thing I found is that at least for the 2019 model year Tesla doesn't even submit independent test results for the performance and LR AWD they just submit 1 set of results for "LR AWD/Performance" I don't see how they could do that if they were functionally different. At best this means the differences in the dataset are irrelevant

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=46969&flag=1
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=46585&flag=1

That's it I'm done If everyone here is so uncomfortable accepting there's things that are unknown right now that's your problem.

Any further posts will be on different topics

Also to add to this, when i got a quote from Erie insurance - they considered my dual motor a performance model. According to their system they are both capable of the same power and contain the same hardware.

You can depress the accelerator 0 to 60% for free. 70% will cost you $0.10 per press, 80% will cost $0.15, and 100% acceleration will cost $0.25 per press.
Why make such a complicated system that will no doubt have people complaining because they 'didnt press the pedal' and demanding refunds. Not to mention the whole idea of micro transactions like this are abhorrent to many people. Much easier to just charge once and those who want it get it, those who don't, don't. Logistically waaaaaayyyyy cleaner.

If someone is still on the fence about buying the boost. I purchase a few min ago and took it for a test drive. I didn’t think it was that noticeable by a lot and it didn’t give me that nauseating feeling I felt test driving a performance model. If you’re on the fence save your money. Just my two cents as there’s not many reviews here to begin with. Stupid 980 vs 990.

Thanks for this. Looking at the power graphs shows there is still a very considerable difference in launch torque between the boosted AWD and P. I really want that...

Interesting, many other posts saying it's not like P but also very noticeable. What was your SOC, battery temp and road conditions? As that plays a fair bit in total power output.

Why make such a complicated system that will no doubt have people complaining because they 'didnt press the pedal' and demanding refunds. Not to mention the whole idea of micro transactions like this are abhorrent to many people. Much easier to just charge once and those who want it get it, those who don't, don't. Logistically waaaaaayyyyy cleaner.

the fact that you took my comment seriously only illustrates that microtransactions have gone too far.

the fact that you took my comment seriously only illustrates that microtransactions have gone too far.
We can thank Bethesda Softworks, Electronic Arts, and Ubisoft for that.

I could see dropping $500 on this just for grins, but two kilodollars is a bit steep for me. I'll save that money for the more practical future DLC, like (and yes, this is pure pie-in-the-sky fantasy) "Drop me off and go find a parking spot" and "Go find a Snake Charger, top off, and come back to me" modes.

Reactions: TMThree
Couple of things to note.

1) The folks that are seeing it in their app, are on Apple. The Android app is not showing an update (yet) But you can find the upgrade on your account on the webpage. ** It is now showing in the app store for android **
My Android phone wouldn't update the Tesla app to 3.10.3 using the regular update feature. Uninstalling the app and reinstalling it brought it up to 3.10.3, and the Upgrades are showing now including the acceleration boost.

I would make sure the car has at least 80% charge before any test runs. I purchased the boost last night and went for a quick drive when the car only had 20% and I thought there was only a slight difference. I then charged the car to 80% and went for a drive again and the difference is quite noticeable. I'm quite happy with the update, even thought I would be happier if there is another upgrade to the full P level.

Based on what I am seeing, the Acceleration Boost looks like it adds about 50 or so horsepower and 50 lb ft of torque. If so, that is a lot of additional power for $2k. It would take a lot of hardware and tuning in an ICE based vehicle to achieve the same bump and you would more than likely void your warranty.

The M3P has about 100 more HP/TQ than an LR AWD. The additional torque is what you "feel" and what gives you the shove back in the seat as it gets the car moving.

2k for what you get is worth it. People who have never modified a vehicle will never understand.
Very true. I had a C5 Z06, which came stock with 405hp and 400lb ft. of torque. I did a moderate cam, full exhaust (long tube headers), intake, upgraded fuel injectors and tune, which cost like $3500 to pick up 50hp and 40 lb ft of torque. It also required a lot of sweat and bloody knuckles installing it all. With the Tesla, you clicked a button and went out to the garage and magically increased performance.

I could definitely feel the difference initially, just wish there was something visual to represent the upgrade (badge, display badge, upgrade list, HP meter. etc.) - locking the feature. After a few runs, the "boost feel" becomes somewhat indistinguishable from the cars previous performance. We're also relying on the community to benchmark the performance with each improvement. Slowly, buyers remorse begins to set in...with the uncertainty of a future software update wiping it out.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yes that is literally what this thread is about they're unlocking more power in software because it's limited in software.They've released updates which improved mileage and thus efficiency IN SOFTWARE meaning it was limited in software. Where do you think it's coming from?

Optimizations through discoveries and algorithms is different than knowingly limiting the car for different reasons. I presume you're not conflating the two.

Probably not since new cars are delivered with a little older software version and it usually takes a couple of weeks to get your first update and you need 40.2.x. If you buy the upgrade at delivery the SC might force an update since you are paying and then you will get it.

Yes. Your car needs to be on atleast firmware version 2019.40.2 first. If you buy it you will not get the upgrade until you update your firmware version. If you're already on the necessary version, your car will get an OTA signal sent from Tesla which will upgrade the car instantly (just requires a reboot). Probably just a quick software flash toggling an internal setting. To get to the latest version (as yes new cars are typically still behind), you can a) call the SC and ask if they can push you to the latest fw b/c you want to buy the boost or b) you can try to connect to wifi/hotspot and toggle the software update setting from standard to advanced a few times and this has been known (atleast in my experience) to force it to check for an update and start downloading it.

I could definitely feel the difference initially, just wish there was something visual to represent the upgrade (badge, display badge, upgrade list, HP meter. etc.) - locking the feature. After a few runs, the "boost feel" becomes somewhat indistinguishable from the cars previous performance. We're also relying on the community to benchmark the performance with each improvement. Slowly, buyers remorse begins to set in...with the uncertainty of a future software update wiping it out.

I was waiting for more posts like this. It is faster, no doubt but you just get used to it so you have nothing to compare it to anymore. Since the car is so quick to begin with it is hard to justify unless you are a true enthusiast and value squeezing out as much performance as possible.