Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Google tesla and NHTSA. Several new articles about it today; unfortunately I don't understand it all. Someone smarter than me tell me why NHTSA wont leave us alone!

Much of that article is about why the September fix, concerning parked emergency vehicles, wasn't handled as a formal recall, but the below caught my eye as "over-reachy" concerning 10.2:

It also wants a list of people who have opted to participate in the beta, as well as the vehicle identification number of any car with the software, the date when the software was installed on said car, and whether the owner is an employee of Tesla.

I thought the radar was still operational for freeways/highways and that the new all-cameras approach had only been implemented for streets?

Nope, fsd beta is vision-only. Once you install and activate 32.25, your car becomes vision only, in city and highway.

I think it's been confirmed that you can't turn off fsd beta to get radar back. It's lost forever!

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
Woah, a lot of new NHTSA stuff today? They asking for details on FSD and FSD beta and asking tesla to recall it??

No, those are two entirely separate topics.

The NHTSA was concerned about consumers not being able to talk freely about the FSD Beta. But, nothing in the NDA prevented them from talking to regulatory bodies.

For the Recall it was more about what constitutes a recall. For some reason the NHTSA keeps harping on about the lack of emergency vehicle detection without seeming to understand that a lot of L2 systems don't detect emergency vehicles. In any case the NHTSA is really concerned about stealth recalls where something is fixed in SW without really telling anyone that there was a recall/fix. It's not even a true fix as it only works at night.

Tesla is under pressure from NHTSA over Full Self-Driving Beta NDA and 'stealth recall'

The damage control PR machine has been very busy on Social Media trying to redirect to say that isn’t so. They do this by repeatedly pointing to a Tesla EAP/NDA selected tester who posted a picture, not video, of a yoke and an FSD screen.

I highly doubt Tesla is doing any PR related to this. The only one very busy on this issue is you. :eek:

Another person, that likely isn't a EAP member, or signed a NDA, is Ross Gerber, and he has posted a short video:

Of course, he is a big investment fund manager and very vocally supports Tesla, his ETF, investments, and investment services...

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Jesus Christ so I’ve been putting all these miles on to try to get from 99 to 100 for no reason?!? I mean, thanks I’ll let my friend know.
@Ramphex Yeah, please do! All he is doing (aside from racking up depreciation miles on his car) is collecting data for Tesla’s sole use. And for this opportunity, all he had to do was pay $10k for the FSD package, or $299/mo for the FSD rental, and, of course, he had to press that “button”! Poor, SoB!🤣🥰

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and Ramphex
Google tesla and NHTSA. Several new articles about it today; unfortunately I don't understand it all. Someone smarter than me tell me why NHTSA wont leave us alone!
There is absolutely no way the NHTSA will leave Tesla alone.

One part is people keep finding creative ways to die while in a Tesla. It's kinda ironic that all the talk about the Safety Score, and yet it was just weeks after Plaid version of a Model S went airborne with a couple of fatalities. It was driver error, but the car is ridiculously fast.

The other part is FSD Beta is absolutely bunkers. So much so that we have no idea if its going to survive regulatory crackdown. It's absolutely important to the path Tesla has chosen towards autonomy, but regulatory bodies are going to be watching it like a hawk. There is no way it would fly in Europe, and even Canada might be tough for Tesla to get approval from.

No, those are two entirely separate topics.

The NHTSA was concerned about consumers not being able to talk freely about the FSD Beta. But, nothing in the NDA prevented them from talking to regulatory bodies.

For the Recall it was more about what constitutes a recall. For some reason the NHTSA keeps harping on about the lack of emergency vehicle detection without seeming to understand that a lot of L2 systems don't detect emergency vehicles. In any case the NHTSA is really concerned about stealth recalls where something is fixed in SW without really telling anyone that there was a recall/fix. It's not even a true fix as it only works at night.

Tesla is under pressure from NHTSA over Full Self-Driving Beta NDA and 'stealth recall'
What NDA?

Update: Service diagnosed that my B pillar and backup cameras did not successfully synch yesterday when I recalibrated even though calibration indicated it completed. So tomorrow during the day I'll go out for a calibration drive and start FSD all over. Service was great by the way.

Highlights of today's drive problem
  1. FSD would not exit off the highway. Tried 8 different exits that I have taken dozens of times before. As I approached each exit the navigation display counted down the tenths of a mile to the exit. Navigation voice also told me I would be exiting but every time the car drove right past the exit and then tried rerouting me. Of course that didn't work either so I had to take over and exit myself.
  2. Too many other problems to mention.

I highly doubt Tesla is doing any PR related to this. The only one very busy on this issue is you. :eek:

Another person, that likely isn't a EAP member, or signed a NDA, is Ross Gerber, and he has posted a short video:

Of course, he is a big investment fund manager and very vocally supports Tesla, his ETF, investments, and investment services...
If that super short promotional video, with him driving in a straight line, isn’t a PR stunt, I don’t know what is! Did you even watch and listen to it? Gimme break! 🤣🤪

@Ramphex Yeah, please do! All he is doing (aside from racking up depreciation miles on his car) is collecting data for Tesla’s sole use. And for this opportunity, all he had to do was pay $10k for the FSD package, or $299/mo for the FSD rental, and, of course, he had to press that “button”! Poor, SoB!🤣🥰
The safety score is worth at least $1K of that $10K. :p

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
Update: Service diagnosed that my B pillar and backup cameras did not successfully synch yesterday when I recalibrated even though calibration indicated it completed. So tomorrow during the day I'll go out for a calibration drive and start FSD all over. Service was great by the way.

Highlights of today's drive problem
  1. FSD would not exit off the highway. Tried 8 different exits that I have taken dozens of times before. As I approached each exit the navigation display counted down the tenths of a mile to the exit. Navigation voice also told me I would be exiting but every time the car drove right past the exit and then tried rerouting me. Of course that didn't work either so I had to take over and exit myself.
  2. Too many other problems to mention.
Well, number one is not related to fsd beta since that uses the previous stack so I would take the car back to service center.

Reactions: jebinc
If that super short promotional video, with him driving in a straight line, isn’t a PR stunt, I don’t know what is! Did you even watch and listen to it? Gimme break! 🤣🤪

The video is too short to make anything of it except a person happy they have FSD Beta.

Lets wait to judge the guy.

I say that thinking he is an influencer, and he'll just be a total let down when it comes to being subjective.

Does it really matter? Around a thousand REAL people got FSD Beta so who cares?